Answered

sonos one keeps dropping out

• 21 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have 2 routers.  The main router in my house (let’s call this “router A”) and then a cat 6 cable runs from router A 100’ out into my garage to “router B”.

my speaker will not work with router B.  All of my other Wi-Fi products work fine (computer, iPad, etc).  The speaker drops continuously.  I have done a factory reset, and also connected speaker with cat 6 directly to router B.  Still have problems.  The speaker works fine on router A.

what setting needs changed on router B?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 August 2022, 10:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jellikit 

Thanks for your post!

You’ll need to put router B into “Bridge” or “Access Point” mode - these are the same thing, the name just depends on what the manufacturer decided to call it.. The important point is to only have one device on your network actually operating as a router. This mode disables a router’s routing functions.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks!  I will try this.  I have read the instructions for my router and think I can limp through it.  The articles I read keep mentioning the bridge running off of the main routers Wi-Fi.  Since there is an Ethernet cable connecting my two routers, do I need to enter anything special when setting up the bridge?  I don’t want them running off of Wi-Fi but utilizing the cat 6.  Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jellikit 

It’s difficult to say for sure without more information, but an ethernet cable will prevent the second router from using WiFi - especially if you don’t tell the second router how to log on to the first router’s WiFi.

You will likely need to use the correct ethernet port on the second router, however - usually marked “WAN” or “Internet”. It won’t matter which port you use on the first router (as long as it isn’t it’s WAN/Internet port).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you!  Yes this helps.  Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jellikit 

You are very welcome!