Sonos One: In-Wall Wiring and Wall Mounting Solution

So you’re placing the finishing touches on your Sonos/smart home ecosystem and can’t figure out a good mounting/wiring solution...

BLUF: Midlite 15 ' Sonos Speaker Mount and In-Wall Power Solution wired within the wall from another receptacle access point by an electrician, Flexson Wall-Mount for Sonos ONE/Play:1.

(all links at end)

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————

After a bit of research, I found a solution that fits my needs and want to share with you all. I’ll take you through my solution and the rationale that got me there.

The Sonos system is unique in that it requires it’s own power receptacle but otherwise doesn’t demand speaker wire etc that would be difficult to conceal without cosmetic work to your walls. Still, if you want your speakers wall-mounted high up in an aesthetically appealing location, you’ll either need new outlets placed or you’re left with hiding a long power cable (as most building codes prevent running this type of power cable within the walls.

Even the single recessed outlet/receptacle is noticable. It’s not easy to hide the concavity/contour of the recessed outlet, the wiring is unweildly even if shortened/coiled, and the plate itself takes up a fair amount of space on the wall.

Ideally there’d be a paintable flush plate with minimal exposed (safe) wire just behind the speaker and all wiring otherwise within the wall.

The Midlite wiring system listed above achieves this. It comes with a paintable wall-flush plate and 15’ of in-wall safe wiring that terminates in the universal power cable designed for the sonos speaker system.

This did require an electrician/drywall work to safely run the wires within the wall and conceal the wiring solution.
As the 15 feet of wiring comes with the Midlite system, your electrician should deduct a considerable amount of his/her cost to you as you’ll provide most of the raw materials.

A reasonable concern is future-proofing your system. The wiring within your wall via this solution is compatible with any 1/4-20” mounted speaker and also facilitates future passage of other cables (ie. Cat5). The terminating wiring used by Sonos is common to most similar appliances but could likely be modified in the future to accomodate new devices.

Flexson Sonos One Wall Mount
https://flexsonusa.com/collections/sonos-one/products/flexson-wall-mount-for-sonos-one-single-model-flxs1wm1021

Midlite In-Wall Power Solution
https://www.midlite.com/products/product-sku/CategoryID/5/ProductID/179?p=15-Sonos%C2%AE-Speaker-Mount-and-In-Wall-Power-Solution-Black

11 replies

Hi, thanks for your post.

Have a couple questions:

1)Did you do this for a Sonos One or a Play 1? The Midlite seems to be only for a play 1?

2)Is that why you used the flexon to hold the One and the Midlite to power it? Am guessing you can remove the screw?

Thanks!
Exactly. The screw comes out thus making the system compatible with both why One and Play:1. Flexon also works with Sonos One.
Thanks for confirming.

I don’t have to her if those two products currently so was wondering
1)do you have it upside down or normal? Does it fit either way?
2)would you happen to have a picture? Am trying to visualize what it would actually look like. Seems like a perfect solution.
Aren’t there pictures at the links the OP provided?

I’m really liking the look of that Midlite solution. I had installed regular sockets, but this is much more appealing.

I’ve used the Flexson before, in my last kitchen. Mounted them upside down so I could reach the volume controls, which I never ended up using. Easier to use the app on my iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The pictures in the PDF brochere give pretty good detail.

So am I correct in thinking that the 'speedport' attaches to the wall with claims in the same way an in-wall speaker would?

Also, can this be used on a play:5 in any way? I'm not sure if the play:5 and play:1 share the same plug type. And of course, you'd need a separate mount for the play:5. I mostly like the idea that this is a bit smaller than a normal power outlet, and solve the issue of excess power cable between the wall and speaker.
The links have pictures of the flexon and midlite each individually, not together. I’d love to see how it goes together - eg how much the Sonos one covers the outlet. Not sure which PDF melvimbe is referring to.

Am surprised this this isn’t a more common question but maybe people prefer the stands and shelves, or just don’t care about the wiring being out.
found Midlite’s video on YouTube but it pointed out that basically they have an additional wire that sticks out at the outlet. Sort of disappointing.

So this approach vs an outlet shelf is just putting the cord down below vs below the shelf. Neither hides all the wires. Pls correct me if I’m wrong.

I get that a wire at the outlet may be better than one at the speaker, just ideally would be a way to not have any wires showing. That may require an amp and passive surrounds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The links have pictures of the flexon and midlite each individually, not together. I’d love to see how it goes together - eg how much the Sonos one covers the outlet. Not sure which PDF melvimbe is referring to.

https://www.midlite.com/Portals/1/Downloads/C7HS-WIP-XX.pdf

It doesn't show the flexon mount in any of these, but does a good job of showing how the midlite does it's job.
Too lazy to get up and look, but I don't think that midlite device will work with Sonos Ones, only PLAY:1s (if you're using the screw to connect. As I recall....shoot, hold on a minute....yea, there's no mounting screw receptor on the back of the Sonos One.

So, if you had Sonos Ones, the challenge would be in mounting the Flexsons (yes, I'm fond of them) in such a position to "hide" the midlite outlet.

I'll be honest. Having put regular outlets in my wall up high, so I could power a pair of Sonos PLAY:1s, after about 24 hours, they "disappeared" from my sight. I just didn't notice them any longer. As much as a lower visual impact is appealing mentally, I think psychologically, it's not going to be that much of an issue. Your brain loses the ability to see things that you know are already there after a certain amount of time.
As I recall....ah, here it is. There's an interesting link in this thread about an outlet that nearly disappears. I never chased it down, as I currently don't have a need, but eventually, in my next home, I'll have to investigate further:

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/hiding-wires-for-wall-mounted-sonos-6762257

One additional note. When I installed the ceiling height plugs in my previous kitchen, I ended up making my own short Sonos plugs by purchasing a standard set from Sonos, and cutting them down to the length I needed, and replacing the end of the plug that went into the wall with something I purchased at the local hardware store. Flexson does make some nice shorter cables, but I needed a more specific length, so it was easier for me to make them myself.
And, for the sake of completeness, there's these:

https://www.thenos.us/home.php

I'm not overly fond of how deep the speaker sits in it, but it might work for some. And having never tried one, it's hard for me to know if it impedes the sound in any way.