Answered

Sonos New System & Windows 10 Desktop

I downloaded and installed the Sonos application for Windows 10 desktop.
When start the application, I see the following:

While I should see:

according the Windows Central website.

What am I doing wrong?
I disabled my F-Secure / Windows firewall but that does not help.
I also connected the Sonos Connect an a Sonos One speaker with an ethernet cable directly to the router, and that did not help either.

Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks

P.S. I phoned Sonso support in the Netherlands, and they claimed that the Windows app did not work and iOS or Android was required (maybe they were referring to Windows 10 Mobile...?!).
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 February 2019, 13:09

The Sonos App for Windows no longer supports setting up a new Sonos System ... you need to use the iOS/Android Sonos mobile controller App instead. This is a recent change and the new system requirements are shown here...

Sonos System Requirements

Every cloud though has a silver lining and once you have setup your Sonos System you can connect to an existing one with the Windows version of the App and still use it to play music to your speakers. It’s only the setup and administration of the system that has been removed from Windows.

View original

13 replies

The Sonos App for Windows no longer supports setting up a new Sonos System ... you need to use the iOS/Android Sonos mobile controller App instead. This is a recent change and the new system requirements are shown here...

Sonos System Requirements

Every cloud though has a silver lining and once you have setup your Sonos System you can connect to an existing one with the Windows version of the App and still use it to play music to your speakers. It’s only the setup and administration of the system that has been removed from Windows.
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
Sonos hate Desktop users these days, so they removed the ability to set up a new system using a PC/Mac.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
controlav wrote:

Sonos hate Desktop users these days, so they removed the ability to set up a new system using a PC/Mac.

Hate has nothing to do with it. It conveniently fits your narrative, yes, but you know it has to do with the volume of users using the desktpp for setup and support costs, not any kind of emotion abous users or operating systems.
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
I don't buy that, sorry. When Support tried to diagnose weird issues, they would always start with the Desktop apps and a wired connection, so they could easily remote into customers machines/networks and figure things out. Poor Sonos Support have to deal with wireless mobile devices now, so I am sure support costs have actually increased (have you ever tried to navigate a tech-challenged friend through a mobile device UI remotely over the phone??). Certainly the # of pissed-off customers have increased as a result.
In my experience Sonos Support have needed to remote into the network only in order to telnet into one of the boxes, either for diagnostic purposes or to force an update. None of that is affected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Support in terms of maintaining and developing these features in the desktop apps. But whatever, doubt it all you want, it certainly makes a lot more sense than hate.
I ordered my Sonos equipment at the end December of last year. It took nearly 6 weeks to have the Sonos One speakers delivered (the Sonos Connect arrived much sooner). During that time, Sonos decided to no longer support the installation, configuration and managing app via desktop (until a few weeks ago it was still possible), only via smartphones or tablet that run on iOS or Android.
I have been busy for hours trying to configure the Sonos equipment. I persisted because on the Sonos website I could not find anything about the app no longer functioning with a desktop, and I read that many users had installed the Windows desktop app and were using the control app without any problems.

A lot of time wasted in my case, alas. I hold Sonos responsible for the lost time.
And, still the Sonos website with the apps is still not updated. So, more disappointing customers ahead...

I advise Sonos to deliver the equipment with a device (remote control or the like) that allows for installation, configuring and controlling all Sonos equipment, and not depend on yet another device and software from a third party.

It has been a great disappointment for me. Sonos make decent products but does not seem to care that much about customers that do not meet their smartphone requirements.

Technology is becoming more and more a curse than a blessing...
It could perhaps be better signposted. However if I go to the main support page (which I'd need to visit to download the desktop controller) and click on 'Setting up Sonos' I'm presented with a list of articles. Either of the 'How to Set Up Sonos' articles does say "Setting up your Sonos system requires the use of a mobile device running iOS or Android."
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonosnot wrote:

I ordered my Sonos equipment at the end December of last year. It took nearly 6 weeks to have the Sonos One speakers delivered (the Sonos Connect arrived much sooner). During that time, Sonos decided to no longer support the installation, configuration and managing app via desktop (until a few weeks ago it was still possible), only via smartphones or tablet that run on iOS or Android.

Not true, The change was made in release 9.2 about 4 months ago.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-9-2-automatic-updates-volume-limits-desktop-dock-and-more-6813791

Sonosnot wrote:

I have been busy for hours trying to configure the Sonos equipment. I persisted because on the Sonos website I could not find anything about the app no longer functioning with a desktop, and I read that many users had installed the Windows desktop app and were using the control app without any problems.

A lot of time wasted in my case, alas. I hold Sonos responsible for the lost time.
And, still the Sonos website with the apps is still not updated. So, more disappointing customers ahead...

Agreed that documentation needs to improve on this.
Well, if the change was made about 4 months ago, why has the website still not been updated:

https://www.sonos.com/en/controller-app

“…For everyone in the house, and all their devices—smartphones, tablets, and computers. Now you’re ready to set up your Sonos and start streaming music…”

The fact that the desktop applications can be used after installation with a smartphone or tablet (as I read later on the Dutch Sonos website), also that could have been made clear on the website that shows all applications.

I made an effort to install the Sonos equipment with an Android smartphone from a friend. But then came the ordeal of having to make an account with either Google Play or Amazon, before the application could be downloaded. Why on earth does Sonos not put the applications on their website, if necessary, with a Sonos account (like the account I had to set up in order to leave post on this forum)? So, no thanks, not another account just to set up sound equipment for which I just paid money…
I have sent all the Sonos goods back to the web shop and received my money back. Another headache gone…
Sonosnot wrote:

Well, if the change was made about 4 months ago, why has the website still not been updated:

https://www.sonos.com/en/controller-app

“…For everyone in the house, and all their devices—smartphones, tablets, and computers. Now you’re ready to set up your Sonos and start streaming music…”

The fact that the desktop applications can be used after installation with a smartphone or tablet (as I read later on the Dutch Sonos website), also that could have been made clear on the website that shows all applications.

I made an effort to install the Sonos equipment with an Android smartphone from a friend. But then came the ordeal of having to make an account with either Google Play or Amazon, before the application could be downloaded. Why on earth does Sonos not put the applications on their website, if necessary, with a Sonos account (like the account I had to set up in order to leave post on this forum)? So, no thanks, not another account just to set up sound equipment for which I just paid money…
I have sent all the Sonos goods back to the web shop and received my money back. Another headache gone…

Sorry you feel that way. It's a great system, takes little time to set up (even with account registration), and is then easy to use. Your loss, much more than Sonos'.
John B wrote:

Sorry you feel that way. It's a great system, takes little time to set up (even with account registration), and is then easy to use. Your loss, much more than Sonos'.

Couldn't agree more. Sonos is the very best wireless multi-room smart-audio system on the market. There is nothing out there to really touch it, particularly for all the things it can do. The issue about the desktop controller app is just a 'lame' excuse here, I think. The desktop controller app is still great for controlling music on Sonos anyway, It just no longer has the admin features.

Like everything today, both software/hardware, these things are often 'subject to change', without notice, but for around £/$30-50 there are mobile devices out there to setup, administer and control a Sonos system and they are useful for multi-room systems anyway as they are quick to power on and very easy to carry from room to room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonosnot wrote:

I made an effort to install the Sonos equipment with an Android smartphone from a friend. But then came the ordeal of having to make an account with either Google Play or Amazon, before the application could be downloaded.

Well yes, this is pretty much standard procedure for android apps, if I'm understanding you correctly. I don't know why you would have needed to make an account, as your friend's account would have been just fine. Were you given an android phone that had been wiped clean of all his accounts?

Sonosnot wrote:

Why on earth does Sonos not put the applications on their website, if necessary, with a Sonos account (like the account I had to set up in order to leave post on this forum)?

Because 99.9% of apps on smartphones are downloaded through the apps stores and what the vast majority customers are used to. It also guanrantees to users that the app they are downloading isn't malware. By default, smartphones are set to prevent installing any app that didn't originate from an app store. Although Sonos could make the app available directly from the web, it would probably cause more confusion than anything else.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings