Sonos Move stereo pairing functionality

• 5 October 2019
  • 25 replies

Hey, I’m wondering if someone can tell if this is possible...

I would like to buy a Sonos Move and pair it with my current Sonos One so that when the Move is docked, they are in a stereo grouping. As soon as the Move is undocked, I would like both speakers to automatically switch to mono (but still playing same music). Once redocked, both speakers should resume their stereo pairing. Is this possible? Thanks

Jeff S 5 months ago

@MusicBooth Hi there, just to clarify, the Move can certainly be grouped together with any of your Sonos speakers to play in unison. It can’t be set up as part of a stereo pair with another speaker that isn’t a Move. This is due to the difference in the speakers, and would lead to an imbalanced sound when split into left and right channels on different speakers.

View original

25 replies

You can only stereo pair the same models. Ones can pair with Ones, Moves can pair with Moves, but a One cannot pair with a Move.
Thats rather unfortunate... what are people’s options of 2 Sonos in a stereo pair vs 2 Sonos in the same room, placed as if stereo but not stereo linked? I’m guessing the stereo pairing is a lot better?

It looks like for the same price I’m better served adding another One (for the stereo) + a Zipp 2 (for portable/bathroom use) to my collection rather than a Move, which is a shame since I’d rather stick with a single ecosystem...
Hi. Stereo is not always better. It is if you are sitting in the perfect position for 'serious' listening but not necessarily if you are moving around.

Grouping speakers with different sound profilea in the same room may sound odd.

And thankfully Sonos stops users stereo pairing two different speakers. Sometimes people need protecting from themaelves. 🙂

As an audiophile I thinking that is a week argument.  If I cared for to listen to high end audio I wouldn’t be playing music through a Sonos product.   However, I would love to play out stereo out of my move and play one and be able to make my own determination. 

I’m sorry - Are you telling me that Sonos Move and Sonos One can’t be connected together - even though they’re SOLD together? 

This should be explicitly stated in the bundle if this is the case. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MusicBooth Hi there, just to clarify, the Move can certainly be grouped together with any of your Sonos speakers to play in unison. It can’t be set up as part of a stereo pair with another speaker that isn’t a Move. This is due to the difference in the speakers, and would lead to an imbalanced sound when split into left and right channels on different speakers.

Thanks for the response @Jeff S ! I now know the difference between Pair and Group - and I’m a super happy dude again! 

There is a certain amount of “jargon” that is used in the Sonos world, and it matters to define things ;) You’ve identified the one that gets misunderstood the most, and understandably so. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MusicBooth Glad to hear it! It can be a bit confusing as the words can mean similar things.

Jeff what does a stereo pair mean?

i just bought the move and one package and would love to use them simultaneously. 

Pair in Sonos jargon means one left channel speaker, and one right channel speaker. Group means two (or more) ‘rooms’ of some number of speakers playing the same music. Each ‘room’ of the group carries all of the signal.

I tried to word that carefully. In a Sonos group, you can have different types of ‘rooms’ grouped. For instance, a single speaker can be a room, playing both left and right channels, and can be grouped with a stereo ‘room’, where you have two speakers, one the right channel and the other the left channel. But in both ‘rooms’, you get all the music, and the two ‘rooms’ play in sync. 

so….

how to I group my sonos move with sonos one so they can stereo play together in the same room?

what are the necessary steps?

it seems that when I connect the one I cant find the Move in the app only when I take the One outof the soccet, it finds the Move again….

can somebody send the process with several short steps?

Thanks in advance

Paula

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

As described above you cannot set a sonos system up with a Move playing one channel (say the right) and a One playing the other channel (left) as part of a stereo setup

Not finding the Move sounds like a different problem. When you say you take One out of the socket do you mean the mains socket?

Yes I meant the mains socket

Hi - please pardon me, I’m not in loop with Sonos jargon. I believe this is already answered, but hoping somebody can confirm. I’m looking to buy a Move and a One. 

im hoping to leave One outside in my coveted patio and my Move indoors. As we move between inside/outside - can the speakers be ‘paired’ so same music is playing? Not necessarily ‘stereo’ - but I just want the same music playing so as we go in/out we hear same music. Thank you!!

danielle 

The term ‘we’ use is grouped, and the answer is yes ;)

Pairing - Semi-permanent connection between two speakers to form a single room where each one plays the Left or Right channel of a stereo signal.

Bonding - Semi-permanent connection between speakers/Amp and/or Sub to play 2.1, 5.0, or 5.1 in a single room. 

Grouping - Temporary combining of 2 or more rooms to play as a group.

Thank you!! 

Hi I’ve got a few queries on bluetooth functionality with the Sonos Move.  Can I stereo pair whilst using bluetooth and will bluetooth allow me to play anything that I am listening to on my iPhone or MacBook (such as youtube etc).

Thanks

Hi I’ve got a few queries on bluetooth functionality with the Sonos Move.  Can I stereo pair whilst using bluetooth and will bluetooth allow me to play anything that I am listening to on my iPhone or MacBook (such as youtube etc).

Thanks

You cannot stereo pair while in BT mode.  There are some phones/devices that can send out connect to two BT speakers at a time though.  Not sure if iPhone is one of them.  The Move, while in BT mode, will play anything on your phone, assuming the phone sends it to the speaker.   Also, you should also bet able to send most audio from your iPhone/MacBook over airplay2 when the Move is in WiFi mode.  And again, you can use a stereo pair under WiFi mode.

Danny thanks for the quick response.  The airplay2 solution should work as I don't want to travel out of the wifi range too often.  It is the stereo pair and ability to play music that is not through the sonos app that I am interested in (unless they make youtube work through the app).

Maybe answered above but I have a Sonos Play1 - can I group (play the same music) the Play 1 with a Move (as long as the Move is on the same WiFi as the Play1)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Maybe answered above but I have a Sonos Play1 - can I group (play the same music) the Play 1 with a Move (as long as the Move is on the same WiFi as the Play1)?

Yes. 

Any combination of Sonos speakers can be grouped to play a common music source, and all will be in sync. That is the Sonos multiroom system!

Yes. 

Any combination of Sonos speakers can be grouped to play a common music source, and all will be in sync. That is the Sonos multiroom system!

Great - many thanks nik9669a! I was concerned that the current Play1 speaker (bought in 2014, I think) was perhaps ‘out-of-date’ to be grouped

Badge +2

I want sound profiles. I want to pair what I want with what I want. I don’t need a parent. If support is the issue , they simple can say , we don’t recommend pairing different models. It’s that simple. Please stop trying to parent people.