Answered

Sonos Move Question about moving it between houses

• 24 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
For those that have the sonos move or know how it works....My situation is this...Have a bunch of sonos at my main home but also have a lake home that I usually bring a couple with me and connect one to the router. My home setup has one connected to the router so once I do that at the lake house I can just go into the app and even though the networks are different names the app find its right away since it uses sonos net I guess. It's super easy and seamless. From what I understand the move does not use sonos net.

So if I were to get a move and connect to the rest of my sonos at my main house and I then take it to the lake house when I go, how would the setup work? Would I have to configure it every time I move it from one location to another? I was really hoping the base would have an ethernet port so I could just plug that in and it would work like the current system does.

I wonder if I should just make my networks the same name and PW? Wonder if that would make it seamless when going between the houses? Not sure if that would even work since my main houses uses sonos net.

Hopefully what I am asking make sense. Thanks for any input!
icon

Best answer by sjw 24 September 2019, 18:21

Like other devices, it remembers the SSID network and password and connects (to WiFi, not Sonosnet).
it remembers 16 and then starts to forget the oldest to make room for new ones.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Like other devices, it remembers the SSID network and password and connects (to WiFi, not Sonosnet).
it remembers 16 and then starts to forget the oldest to make room for new ones.
From (You answer is the last sentence): https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3666?language=en_US

Use Sonos Move on a different WiFi network

This article will show you how to connect your Sonos Move to a new WiFi network at a different location, such as a friend’s house.

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
  • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  1. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  2. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your WiFi network.
Badge +1
I totally missed that last sentence and even read that article....Thanks for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would be interesting to see what happens if you bring the Move to a home that already has an existing Sonos system in place. My guess would be that it would just create a separate Sonos network if the Sonos user and related accounts and configurations were different.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It would be interesting to see what happens if you bring the Move to a home that already has an existing Sonos system in place. My guess would be that it would just create a separate Sonos network if the Sonos user and related accounts and configurations were different.

There's an article here which goes through all the details.

When you open the Sonos app, it'll scan the wireless network for Sonos systems, and likely will tell you that there's an existing one and ask if you want to connect to it (that would be the starting household on the network, not your Move). From there, you should be able to select more options and choose to "Update Wifi Settings". That flow has an option to connect to the Move, and update the WiFi settings to match the new network. This would add a second Sonos household on the network, separate from the first. Otherwise, you may wind up merging the Move onto the existing system, which would overwrite everything on it from your original home.

However, once you've gone through that flow to add the new wireless credentials to the Move, it will be able to go seamlessly between the two locations, automatically connecting to which ever wireless network is in range.