Answered

Sonos Move

Hi, I got a play 3 and a bridge. Now bought a move, but I cant connect the new product with the app.what am I doing wrong

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 July 2021, 10:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

The Move doesn’t connect to the signal created by the BRIDGE, you’ll need to give it your wifi credentials. You can still ‘group’ the two devices, even though they are connected to your router in two ways. Make sure you’re installing S1 on the Move, and not S2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JensS 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Is the Move flashing green when you try to add it? If not, the process will fail.

Please follow the steps on our Reset your Sonos product help page to reset the Move. Once done, it will flash green and be ready to set up. In the Sonos app, select Settings » System » Add a Product (but only do so if the app connects to your existing system) to add it to your system.

If this fails, I recommend powering off your router for at least 30 seconds and trying again once WiFi returns.

As ​​​@Airgetlam mentioned, the Move will need to use your router’s WiFi, not the one created by the Bridge, but the app will sort all that out during setup.

Edit: Added link

Badge +1

Hey I am new hear and I amlooking at getting the Sonos move will it work with older systems and can I stay on the s1 for it to work 

Hey I am new hear and I amlooking at getting the Sonos move will it work with older systems and can I stay on the s1 for it to work 

Move works with all Sonos apps

Badge +1

I have a older system and I read that I’ll need to remove the bridge for it to work so will the move sync up to the older system and will all the speakers work without the bridge 

I have a older system and I read that I’ll need to remove the bridge for it to work so will the move sync up to the older system and will all the speakers work without the bridge 

Move is not on Sonosnet, so it doesn’t use the Bridge. Therefore, I don’t think you need to remove it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I added a brand new Move to my S1 recently.

Factory reset the Move first then use the S1 app to add a new speaker.

I shut all my kit down apart from an S1 only ZP just in case it tried any S2 shenanigans but it worked fine.

At the end the Move will do a "Firmware Update" where it downloads S1 Firmware.

Badge +1

so i don’t need to remove the bridge? and will the older speakers work without it

so i don’t need to remove the bridge? and will the older speakers work without it

You shouldn’t, because the Move won’t even see it.  But I’m not 100% on that.

Badge +1

ok last question does it take forever to setup because i saw on youtube that it took 30-45 minutes to setup

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Move does not use the network made by the Bridge (Sonosnet). It uses your wifi, even when the other speakers are on Sonosnet. There’s no need to remove the Bridge if it is working properly with your other speakers now.

I do not use a Move but I’ve not seen a Sonos speaker take that long to set up.

Badge +1

ok thanks i am just researching before i get it and before i spend money on 

4 play 1 (1st gen)

1 play 3  ( 1st gen) 

1 play 5   (1st gen I think)

BRIDGE is used in situations where the most practical wired network port is not a location where you want music. BRIDGE is simply the radio section of a player -- deleting the audio keeps costs down. BRIDGE is not required if you can wire one or more players.

Note that BRIDGE is near EOL (End of Life) and it is using old wireless technology. BOOST is the more effective replacement. BRIDGE power supplies are no longer very reliable. A failing BRIDGE power supply will create all sorts of difficult to describe issues. An easy way to diagnose a failing BRIDGE is to power it down and temporarily replace it with a wired player. One of the many BRIDGE failure symptoms is that the system is not usable after an update. A common complaint is “Worked fine till the update … must be a bad update.” The real problem is BRIDGE not booting or it is polluting the network.

Badge +1

So I’ll be fine with the bridge?

Yes, BRIDGE will be fine.

Badge +1

Ok does it stay on when it’s on the charger when not in use or can I turn it off

BRIDGE is always powered directly from a power outlet.

MOVE uses WiFi, BRIDGE is not WiFi. The other SONOS units can use BRIDGE, WiFi, or a wired network connection. If one or more of the players is wired to the network, BRIDGE is optional.

You could remove MOVE from it’s charger and power down, but I do not recommend this. In my opinion MOVE should be kept on the charging ring unless you are using it in a portable application because this will yield maximum battery life. (By the way, this is the case for any battery powered device.)

Badge +1

So keep it on ?

All Sonos devices are designed and intended to be powered at all times. The only exceptions are the battery powered speakers, the Roam and the Move which can be turned off with a switch.

Badge +1

Sorry for being annoying but when I’m not using it and it’s on the dock can I keep it on or off 

Ah, you’re not talking about the BRIDGE, you’re talking about the Move. There’s no reason why you can’t turn it off when it’s not in use. It’s designed with that in mind. 

Badge +1

Thanks so that I’ll understand I should keep the speaker on 

Yes, keep the unit ON while it is sitting on the charging ring.

Badge +1

Thanks for your help 🙂