Answered

Sonos integration to in-ceiling wired system

• 10 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi All. Looking for some guidance sorting out a home system for the in-laws. Sorry for the long post but here goes.

The in-laws have recently moved into a new place that has what looks like a pretty cool 6 zone in-ceiling audio setup. POE wall control panels, nice speakers, waterproof outdoor, etc... The catch is when the previous owners left they took the controller/amplifier with them. I cant even identify what brand it could have been.

Since the ethernet to the control panels, speaker wiring and speakers are already there I am thinking the most cost effective option to get the zones working again is a Monoprice 6 zone kit https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10918&cs_id=1091801&p_id=10761 but I am open to suggestion.

Most TV/Audio consumption is in a main open plan area from a new 75inch LG smart TV or streaming direct from the sonos (spotify etc). 2 of the in-ceiling speakers are in their own zone that I'm sure had been designed to work as the rear right and left for the TV surround sound. Due to the layout Sonos play:1's on a stand would not be ideal.

They also have a pretty good sonos collection for the TV in the main area.
1 x Playbar / 2 x Play:1 / 1 x Sub

plus the following around the place
1 x ONE / 1 x Play:5 / 1 x Bridge

The goal is to have options like the following;

Normal TV Viewing
TV surround sound using Playbar, 2 x Play:1's, sub and the 2 in-ceiling speakers.

TV/Audio by zone
Audio from the TV can be played throughout the house by zone.

Music
Music streamed via sonos can be played on any sonos and/or any wired zone.

Independent Zones
TV audio in the main area, music in the backyard, music in the bedroom at the same time.

The confusion for me is the best way to integrate the 2 systems. Is this possible and how would we go about it?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 19 October 2018, 23:26

Hi dan_man,

Welcome to the community. It sounds like what you're looking for is the Sonos Connect. The Connect has audio inputs and outputs, allowing you to integrate Sonos speakers with existing speakers connected to a receiver. This would allow you to play the existing speakers together with any Sonos speakers you may add. Also, you can use the Connect's outputs to send audio to the existing system, allowing you to use the Sonos app, and the many different audio sources, to play music over your existing system.

You could set up the Sonos surround system as you've described. That 5.1 setup could also stream TV audio to any other Sonos speaker in your house (though there may be a slight audio delay on TV audio due to the way Sonos handles low-latency TV audio)).

You can set the Sonos system up in a Boost configuration by having at least one unit connected to your network with an ethernet cable. This will cause each Sonos unit you have to act as a wireless repeater for other Sonos units, extending the effective range of the system.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi dan_man,

Welcome to the community. It sounds like what you're looking for is the Sonos Connect. The Connect has audio inputs and outputs, allowing you to integrate Sonos speakers with existing speakers connected to a receiver. This would allow you to play the existing speakers together with any Sonos speakers you may add. Also, you can use the Connect's outputs to send audio to the existing system, allowing you to use the Sonos app, and the many different audio sources, to play music over your existing system.

You could set up the Sonos surround system as you've described. That 5.1 setup could also stream TV audio to any other Sonos speaker in your house (though there may be a slight audio delay on TV audio due to the way Sonos handles low-latency TV audio)).

You can set the Sonos system up in a Boost configuration by having at least one unit connected to your network with an ethernet cable. This will cause each Sonos unit you have to act as a wireless repeater for other Sonos units, extending the effective range of the system.
As Jeff S, said you will probably want one or more Connects to use as sources to your multi-zone amp. The Monoprice model you linked to is popular and has the advantage of including the keypads which are often extra with other systems. That said I would not give up too easily on trying to identify the previous system since the control panels are still in place and you might be able to bring them back to life with the right multi-zone amplifier.