Answered

Sonos in outdoor pool area

• 28 September 2021
  • 1 reply

I can’t figure out the best solution for new pool area. 

Speakers can be located under a hard roof pavilion so no exposure to sun/rain/snow but humidity can be significant in the summer. Pavilion has electric but is located about 100 feet from where I could place a Sonos Connect or Amp in my basement and wired to passive outdoor speakers.

Is that too long of a run?

Keep in mind I have existing passive outdoor speakers about 50 feet from other side of pool opposite pavilion. Those are on and below my deck with a short run (5-10 feet) just inside the foundation wall. 

Would the human ear notice a timing difference if playing music from both the pavilion (100 foot run) and deck (10 foot run)?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 September 2021, 15:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ccgegg 

Thanks for your post!

That’s a good question. Whether or not you will notice is best left to trying it out in that particular space. I do remember back in the days of Hi-Fi yore that it was recommended to have the speaker cables for the left and right channels the same length. With multiple pairs, the length of cable should be the same for all speakers, not just each pair. Therefore, you’d need 400 feet of speaker cable to “do it properly”. Any spare cable can be coiled up - though I’m sure some audiophiles would argue against this, for whatever reason.

I recommend you see how it goes with the shorter cables (if they are fitted already), and if you notice any weird effects then replace the shorter runs with 100 feet wire for each speaker. If you don’t already have the shorter runs wired, go straight for the full lengths so you don’t waste wire/money on the test. 

100 feet for each speaker is not a problem - 300 feet is the maximum recommended run, as mentioned on our Set up your Sonos Amp support page. You will need 14 Gauge or 1.6mm wire when going over 80 feet, more info on our Choosing a speaker wire gauge page. Weather resistant cable would obviously be recommended too.

I hope this helps.