Sonos in India: A Comprehensive Guide

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies
Hi everyone, I thought it would be best to start a single thread to bring together all tips and tricks for using Sonos systems in India.

I recently got myself a pair of Sonos Ones and have been reading this forum with much interest and apprehension before they arrived. Having set up my speakers, I thought I'd share my own tips and tricks in getting the most out of Sonos systems in India.

Tip 1: Change your location in the Sonos system to a country with better support
Why: Get access to Alexa, Spotify and other music/podcast services not officially launched in India
DETAILS: go to your profile on Sonos.com and change your country to the US or Singapore or another supported country. NO other address details are required. Save the updated settings on the website.

After that open the Sonos app and try and add Alexa, Spotify, etc. They should all show up like magic (may take a few minutes to show up in the app after the update on the website). The good thing is that when adding Alexa, the Sonos app will automatically open your amazon account for authorisation and doesn't get affected by your change in location in Sonos, so you should have access to your local India account and services including Amazon Music if you are a prime member.

Tip 2: Update the Sonos App and Firmware
Why: the new update on the 11th of July adds Airplay 2 Support
DETAILS: I don't really like using the Sonos App... so for all iOS users, you can use your app of choice to start playing your audio on the Sonos speaker. This is a good workaround if you are unable to add a particular service of your choice to the Sonos app, you can just play it on the speaker from the app directly. It works for the apps I use for music (Spotify/Apple Music), podcasts (Pocket Casts) etc.

Problem1: I still am unable to link Spotify to Alexa so I can't use Spotify with voice instructions (Alexa play xyz playlist on Spotify). I read somewhere that you need to change your location on Amazon.in but the update is failing for me every time. Let me know if anyone has a work around.

Any other tips by other Indian Sonos users? Lets hope Sonos doesn't close any of these loopholes after reading this! 😃

27 replies

There is nothing that is unique about India in this context that needs any unique set of tips - except that Alexa won't work!

The only thing I would recommend for India is the use of an online UPS inverter to insulate the kit from both frequent outages as well as fluctuations in voltages that are present in almost all of the country.
There is nothing that is unique about India in this context that needs any unique set of tips - except that Alexa won't work!

The only thing I would recommend for India is the use of an online UPS inverter to insulate the kit from both frequent outages as well as fluctuations in voltages that are present in almost all of the country.

As I've written, Alexa works without a problem, and there is no downside to changing your location on Sonos that I've encountered so far. Even your timezone etc. can remain the same.
How can Alexa work if the Alexa India app does not include the Sonos skill - as it does not in India?
How can Alexa work if the Alexa India app does not include the Sonos skill - as it does not in India?

I actually didn't need to add the skill in Alexa... In the Sonos App in the "more" tab, there is a "Voice Services" section. When I changed the location on Sonos, Alexa showed up and I installed/enabled it.

Its only been a few days so I haven't tried all functionality (voice ordering on amazon, etc.) but it seems to be working fine and my Sonos speakers show up in the Alexa app as well.
I have changed the country on this site to US, but the app still shows that no voice services are available. I will see if they turn up by tomorrow; somehow I suspect that with an Alexa India app and Amazon India bought/registered Echo devices, it isn't as simple as merely changing the country in the Sonos profile.

Time will tell.
It showed up pretty quickly in the Sonos app for me (within a minute)... shouldn't be longer than tomorrow. Are any US only music services showing up like Spotify, Pandora? Even if you don't have accounts in them, at least it should confirm your Sonos account has properly switched if they show up.

Regarding already having an India Echo device, given that Sonos asks you to log in to Amazon after installing/enabling Alexa on your speaker and app, it shouldn't be a problem.

Keep us updated if it works for you. Good Luck!
To clarify all the bases:
1. Sonos controller app for Android downloaded from the Google Play Store in India
2. Alexa desktop app from Amazon India
3. Devices bought from Amazon India and registered there
4. Sonos skills not present in Alexa
5. Country in the Profile changed on this site from India to US

One hour since changing, the Android app says that there are no voice services in the country. Pandora/Spotify not present in Music Services.

I will wait 12 hours and see what happens before reverting to country India.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
It showed up pretty quickly in the Sonos app for me (within a minute)... shouldn't be longer than tomorrow. Are any US only music services showing up like Spotify, Pandora? Even if you don't have accounts in them, at least it should confirm your Sonos account has properly switched if they show up.

Regarding already having an India Echo device, given that Sonos asks you to log in to Amazon after installing/enabling Alexa on your speaker and app, it shouldn't be a problem.

Keep us updated if it works for you. Good Luck!

Well I tried it doesn't work. It might have worked for you because you have Sonos one & I have play1 & play 5 both without Alexa. In this case I have to add skills of Sonos to echo dot which is not possible due to my location. Thanks for the inputs btw.
It doesn't work for me either, and perhaps that is because my kit does not include a Sonos One, though I doubt that this is the reason. Sonos One does not "have" Alexa, it just has a built in microphone capability as far as I know.

Of course this does not matter to me because I have three pairs of line in jacks on my Sonos equipment in different parts of my home, and wiring a Dot to these allows Alexa/Amazon Music to be fully functional through Sonos everywhere. The auto on Connect Amp in particular serves very well for this, responding to Alexa commands very efficiently. It should work just as well when wired to the line in jacks on the 5 unit.
Vir thanks for the in depth oversight of setting up Sonos in India. I just got a 3 Sonos ones and set up only one yesterday. While the voice services are working I somehow can’t get the music I.e Amazon music to work. It keeps saying that the account needs to be in the US, UK or one the other countries that Sonos is operational in currently. Can you let me know how to get this sorted with Amazon music. I have changed all the settings to India for the Sonos so it’s reflecting time date weather etc. just need to get the music fixed. Do I need a Amazon prime account in the US? I have a an indian one.

Thanks Anish
Vir thanks for the in depth oversight of setting up Sonos in India. I just got a 3 Sonos ones and set up only one yesterday. While the voice services are working I somehow can’t get the music I.e Amazon music to work. It keeps saying that the account needs to be in the US, UK or one the other countries that Sonos is operational in currently. Can you let me know how to get this sorted with Amazon music. I have changed all the settings to India for the Sonos so it’s reflecting time date weather etc. just need to get the music fixed. Do I need a Amazon prime account in the US? I have a an indian one.

Thanks Anish

Hey Anish, you need to change your location to the US/Canada/Singapore/etc. on the Sonos website (not India). When you do that Amazon music will show up in the Sonos app under the Music services section in the 'More' tab.

You don't have to have a US Amazon prime account (I have an India one as well). Just have the prime music app installed on your phone from before (and signed in) and when you try and add it from the Sonos App, it will open us the Amazon app by itself and add it as a service. At least this is how it worked for me.

@Kumar and @Bnilesh, I guess setting up Sonos skills in Alexa is different that doing it the other way around (adding Alexa voice service in the Sonos app). The work around I read on the web was changing your location in Amazon to the US/Canada (on Amazon.in > Your Account > Manage Your Content and Devices > Settings) . The problem with this is that it completely screws up your ability to use Amazon locally.

Has anyone tried this as a temporary fix to add the needed services (Sonos skill, Spotify, etc.) and then revert the location back to India? That may work if it doesn't remove those skills once the location changes again. Let me know if you try it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have changed the country on this site to US, but the app still shows that no voice services are available. I will see if they turn up by tomorrow; somehow I suspect that with an Alexa India app and Amazon India bought/registered Echo devices, it isn't as simple as merely changing the country in the Sonos profile.

Time will tell.

Yesterday I was able to add skills of Alexa by enabling skill to my echo dot from amazon.com website.devices after changing the country location as mentioned in the first post.
I got a Sonos beam from US to India recently and was struggling to sync it with Alexa and Amazon music but changing th2 country in Sonos profile did the trick. However the only way I can use Amazon music is through Alexa Voice controls. I can't browse music from amazon music through the app even though it is added as a music service which is very painful as I have to tell Alexa which exact song to play rather than getting to choose one. Downloaded Sonostube trial version from Playstore today and seemed to like it a lot.
I bought a couple of Sonos one from US. I set it up and everything works fine except I cannot browse Amazon Music store (Though Alexa iworks fine with Amazon Prime Music). The trick was to set the location to USA in the sonus account. Hopefully Sonos will add Amazon India support shortly.
I tried what Vir suggested and it works like a charm! I have 2 Sonos One devices. Thanks
SM1980, Were you able to browse Amazon Prime Music from Sonos App?
Not from the Sonos app, but it works well with the amazon music app, which easily streams to both my Sonos speakers. However, voice commands play music straight from Amazon. Strangely it’s not supporting any Indian music services like Saavn etc thru voice commands.
Looking for guidance / feedback . Planning to buy Sonos Beam from US and take back to India . I would like to know Sound quality for apartment living room 20 X 12 Feet . will Sonos Beam will sound good with TV connect.DO I need to buy any other thing along with beam
This is room setting with TV
https://www.99acres.com/magarpatta-city-sylvania-magarpatta-pune-npxid-r499#UnitDetails

Any other issue while taking Sonos back to India
Badge
This is bloody awesome!
I just got a beam imported from the US and was setting it up this morning only to figure both Siri and Alexa were'nt shown as available options under the Voice Services.
Thanks Vir for this post - I know, my evening today will be fantastic!

Cheers!
Hi everyone, I thought it would be best to start a single thread to bring together all tips and tricks for using Sonos systems in India.

I recently got myself a pair of Sonos Ones and have been reading this forum with much interest and apprehension before they arrived. Having set up my speakers, I thought I'd share my own tips and tricks in getting the most out of Sonos systems in India.

Tip 1: Change your location in the Sonos system to a country with better support
Why: Get access to Alexa, Spotify and other music/podcast services not officially launched in India
DETAILS: go to your profile on Sonos.com and change your country to the US or Singapore or another supported country. NO other address details are required. Save the updated settings on the website.

After that open the Sonos app and try and add Alexa, Spotify, etc. They should all show up like magic (may take a few minutes to show up in the app after the update on the website). The good thing is that when adding Alexa, the Sonos app will automatically open your amazon account for authorisation and doesn't get affected by your change in location in Sonos, so you should have access to your local India account and services including Amazon Music if you are a prime member.

Tip 2: Update the Sonos App and Firmware
Why: the new update on the 11th of July adds Airplay 2 Support
DETAILS: I don't really like using the Sonos App... so for all iOS users, you can use your app of choice to start playing your audio on the Sonos speaker. This is a good workaround if you are unable to add a particular service of your choice to the Sonos app, you can just play it on the speaker from the app directly. It works for the apps I use for music (Spotify/Apple Music), podcasts (Pocket Casts) etc.

Problem1: I still am unable to link Spotify to Alexa so I can't use Spotify with voice instructions (Alexa play xyz playlist on Spotify). I read somewhere that you need to change your location on Amazon.in but the update is failing for me every time. Let me know if anyone has a work around.

Any other tips by other Indian Sonos users? Lets hope Sonos doesn't close any of these loopholes after reading this! :D
Thanks,Vir! As you said, works like magic!!
It does not work anymore. Although my Sonos account says US.
Thanks vir. So far alexa is working well. Able to stream from amazon prime via alexa. Spotify and Apple Music via AirPlay.
Specifically for using the beam in india, can anyone recommend a tv with hdmi arc and Dolby Digital passthrough?
This only works with sonos one....NOT with Play 1, 3 or 5.
I bought a couple of Play Ones from the US to Hyderabad and I had installed/configured them in my US home to test out Alexa skills which worked fine.

After arriving in Hyderabad, I simply updated the wi-fi router information and Alexa skills were retained. Works beautifully so far.