Question

Sonos Connect + VIZIO SB3851D0 = Success?

• 31 July 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a VIZIO SB3851D0 soundbar plus subwoofer and two back speakers. I connect it to my SHARP TV through the Aux. 

Can I connect a Sonos Connect or Port to this soundbar? Thanks for any help!

VIZIO SB3851D0 rear panel (1)
VIZIO SB3851D0 rear panel (2)

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The Port (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3652?language=en_US) has a digital coaxial out, that could be connected to the digital coaxial in on the soundbar. And your able to change inputs with a button according to https://cdn.vizio.com/documents/sb3851d0/qsg-sb3851d0.pdf It also has an analog out, but is seems you’re using the analogue in for your TV. Which leads me to the question why you would choose such an old fashioned connection method that does not use all your soundbar can give - or is your TV not equipped with HDMI-ARC?

Essentially, no, the Sonos CONNECT, or in fact any other Sonos device, are not designed/capable to be used in another company’s home theater system. The only suitable way to use Sonos devices as rear/ surround speakers is with a Sonos sound bar of one type or another. 

Thank you for your response. That completely clears it up for me. I’ll be replacing my soudbar with a Sonos one!

Glad you got the same response in both threads you asked the question in.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Jerm77 Reading the above I’m not sure what you wanted to achieve. My understanding was that you wanted to play music through your existing soundbar, sub and rear speakers. For this, it seems to me, a Port would do fine. Wouldn’t it @Airgetlam?

Was the use of a Port for the back speakers mentioned in the other thread?

You have your current soundbar connected via aux? Again: why? Because if the reason is that your TV has no HDMI-ARC a Sonos soundbar will also not work - and it does not have an aux.

I have an old Sharp TV where the best connection is AUX.

I was hoping that I could a CONNECT or PORT to play music through my existing bar and build out a Sonos network throughout my house.

Should it be CONNECT/PORT or a new Sonos soundbar set up?

No matter what the source of the sound going to the Vizio soundbar, there would always be a minimum of a 75ms delay as it goes from Vizio into the Sonos ecosystem, to buffer the data so it can be played in sync across all attached Sonos rooms. Essentially, keeping the Vizio as part of the equation means that no matter what Sonos devices are in play, there would be the delay on anything coming from the Vizio. Which doesn’t appear to have an audio out in any case. 

Trying to fit together two different systems is rife with potential issues. You could argue that you could only connect the digital output from a Port to the coax in on the Vizio, and then you ‘might’ get the Vizio to play only music in sync. I’m not an expert on Vizio soundbars, and I would certainly expect that if you expect the sound to travel one way (Sonos to Vizio), then it should travel the other (Vizio to Sonos). It won’t. The OP is better off sticking with a single company’s solution, be it Sonos or Vizio. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I would agree with @Airgetlam that mixing systems is not a very good idea. But if your only goal is to play music to the soundbar (and not to get sound from the TV in to the Sonos system), and later group other Sonos speakers with it a Port would be the (fairly expensive) way to go. This would be like connecting a Port to a stereo receiver, to get (for instance) Spotify to it. Since the Vizio has not connections capable of getteing sound out of it you would not be able to get sound from your TV to the Port, but this does not seem to be what you want to achieve.

Since your TV does not seem to have HDMI-ARC a Sonos soundbar seems a no go, though I do not see you mentioning an optical out on your TV, which would be an option for a Sonos soundbar.

If you would only want to get music to your soundbar, the Vizio is bluetooth capable, so can be played to by any iPhoen or Android Phone this way.