Question

Sonos Connect not compatible with my Hi-Fi? Interference and feedback

• 12 July 2017
  • 8 replies

Hello Sonos Community!

I'm desperately looking for help in setting up my Sonos Connect and I apologise if this specific issue has already been posted and dealt with...

I'm having interference/feedback problems from my Sonos Connect/Hi-Fi combination. To start with here's my set up:

Musical Fidelity A3 Amplifier
Sonos Connect
Streaming from Deezer Elite
Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers

It's quite an old amp (around 18 years or so) but it's got a few inputs of which I've tried connecting all to the Connect via a 2-to-1 RCA cable. All I'm getting is a massive amount of interference and/or a deep bassy humming from my speakers. I've tried every conceivable combination of input sockets on the amp and nothing's working!!!

Close to tearing my hair out. Has anyone out there had similar issues? Does anyone out there have the same setup and their system is working perfectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The Connect output should go via a standard 2 phono to 2 phono cable to one of the compatible inputs on your amp. Some look suitable (CD, Tuner, AUX etc) but some are not (e.g. Phono). Have you tried a different cable?
Hi Amun,

Thanks for your reply.

The Connect was supplied with a 2-1 RCA cable. I've tried the single end in the AUX input on the amp whilst the two ends were placed in the 'L' and 'R' Out sockets on the Sonos. I've also tried this with every other input on the amp...

No joy!

I also bought another 2-to-1 RCA cable. No joy there either.
I don't understand the 2 to 1 cable. It looks like your amp has phone pairs of RCA sockets, although it's difficult to tell from the diagram. The Connect should have a pair of RCA's for ouput (as well as digital out). So the lead should be 2 phonos to 2 phonos. Have you tried a 2 to 2 cable?
I just assumed that a 2-1 cable would be all that was needed as it came with the Connect. I'll give it a go though!
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I have two connects and I don't remember a 2-1 cable being supplied with either. TBH I don't remember any connection leads being supplied except the mains cable and an ethernet cable! Both of mine work well with standard stereo RCA cables.
Just bought and tried a 2-2 RCA cable and there's a significant improvement. Thank you Amun. Sometimes it takes another perspective to make you see the moronic mistake you're making! :)

With that said, I've tried two tracks on the Sonos (Roads by Portishead and La Femme D'Argent by Air) compared to the same music on CD on a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player and there's still a little hissing and distortion. It was hard to tell if the same occurred on the CD. Given that my Hi-Fi and speakers have been in hibernation for a year it may be just warming up or that I need to strip the speaker cables back a little.

Will give it another trial when the kids aren't around and 'curious' about the floor standers - they've already dented one cone by accident!

Thanks again.
I have two connects and I don't remember a 2-1 cable being supplied with either. TBH I don't remember any connection leads being supplied except the mains cable and an ethernet cable! Both of mine work well with standard stereo RCA cables.

Thanks for the reply Legnum. As in the reply above, things are shaping up nicely but I might need to give the old Hi-Fi a tuneup before I dial it up to 11. 😃
I've tried two tracks on the Sonos (Roads by Portishead and La Femme D'Argent by Air) compared to the same music on CD on a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player and there's still a little hissing and distortion. It was hard to tell if the same occurred on the CD.
The Sonos system itself is good quality, so if you're hearing hissing and distortion then it sounds as if it's still not quite right. Be interesting to hear how you get on.