Answered

Sonos Connect - bridge audio?

• 31 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a 5.1 connected currently to my computer.

I'd like to inject the Sonos Connect into this setup so that I'm able to stream the rest of my sonos content (I have a play 5 and play 1's) through my 5.1 as well BUT I still want my computer audio to be piped into my 5.1 audio system, not just the sonos streamed audio. Is this possible? Without manually having to switch audio sources.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 January 2018, 00:50

I'm not sure I completely understand your statement about a 5.1 system connected to your computer. Do you mean that you have a separate set of speakers set up in a 5.1 configuration that are connected to your computer, or are you talking about a Sonos 5.1 system?

The CONNECT has both an analog output in addition to an analog input. You would be able to get sound from your computer in to the Sonos ecosystem via the analog input. Note that there would be at least a 75ms delay, and it could be more, depending on the settings on the line-in in the Sonos controller app. But assuming there's an input on your computer, you could then take the analog output from the CONNECT and feed it to the computer. In that case, the sound on your Sonos speakers and computer would be synchronised, since there would be no delay between the two.

Hope this makes sense....I'm making some guesses about your system. If you have more questions, more information about the current set up would be helpful 🙂
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I'm not sure I completely understand your statement about a 5.1 system connected to your computer. Do you mean that you have a separate set of speakers set up in a 5.1 configuration that are connected to your computer, or are you talking about a Sonos 5.1 system?

The CONNECT has both an analog output in addition to an analog input. You would be able to get sound from your computer in to the Sonos ecosystem via the analog input. Note that there would be at least a 75ms delay, and it could be more, depending on the settings on the line-in in the Sonos controller app. But assuming there's an input on your computer, you could then take the analog output from the CONNECT and feed it to the computer. In that case, the sound on your Sonos speakers and computer would be synchronised, since there would be no delay between the two.

Hope this makes sense....I'm making some guesses about your system. If you have more questions, more information about the current set up would be helpful 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge
That answers my question perfectly, thanks! I'll have to see if the 75ms lag is something I notice.

Re my setup, it is a separate 5.1 (logitech) setup connected to my computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have my computer setup with a connect. I have a Creative Labs system with 4 stereo speakers and a sub for my desktop. I have it hooked via the analog out from my computer into the Connect. Then the Connect Analog out to the Creative labs.

This way I can play Sonos music to my Creative labs as well as my desktop sound (either or). I can also then send any of my computer sound to my other sonos speakers throughout house as an advantage as well.

The 70ms lag is not noticeable as far as I notice.

Now - this isn't 5.1. With 5.1 you would have a digital out from the computer to your 5.1 system. You would have to maintain that digital connection direct from computer to the 5.1 system. You can only input into the Sonos analog (stereo sound). The only exception would be digital out from your computer to a Sonos Playbar/Playbase.

If you are using the digital connection to your 5.1 speakers on your desktop. You could feed the Analog out from the Connect into the PC. The PC would then digitize it and you would be able to play Sonos music via the digital output to your 5.1 system.

Then you could hook the analog out still from your computer to be able to play stereo sound from your PC (in addition to the digital out to your 5.1). That would allow you to play pc sound to not only your digital 5.1 but to any sonos speaker in house.

So if you are using digital out from your PC you don't really hook the connect up in between you hook it up as a side accessory really to still give you both input and output.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Oh that's a good point re analog inputs only supporting stereo on the connect.

Currently, it looks like my PC speakers only support analog out (5.1 analog ... with three analog cables) and optical out (I'm assuming it is only out since it says SPDIFF Out). My logitech system does support optical and coax input (currently unused) and the three analog inputs that I am using for 5.1

hmm ... so it seems as though my option if I want to bridge both audio sources is limited to downgrading my PC speakers to stereo (via the analogue inputs) and connecting the connect to my logitech system via an optical cable (so 5.1 for sonos originated sounds but stereo for PC originated sounds). Unless I am mistaken about the optical port on my PC being output-only. Am I correct?

Thanks for everyone's help btw!