Sonos ceiling speakers - how many needed for room size? (+ question on external speakers)

Hi there - we are just doing renovation and building work on kitchen, and pulling down wall to make large kitchen dinner. Want to get Sonos ceiling speakers fitted as part of this.
The new room will 13.4m long...and 5.03m wide (with a small beam in the middle of the 13.4 run where the old wall was). So was going to setup 2 zones, in the 2 parts of the old room....
Was going to put 2 pairs of speakers in each half of the room... so 4 pairs in total - 8 speakers covering that room. Do you think that is enough, or should I put 6 pairs of speakers in...? 2 pairs on each amp, or 4 pairs?

What is the coverage of the speakers..? would 4 pairs in that room be enough...? or do I need 6 pairs?

Also, planning on putting external speakers on the side of the house coming off this where the garden is... the length of house / patio I want to cover with the external speakers is 21m.... are 2 pairs (so 4 speakers) along a 21m length of house outside enough.... or should I put 3 pairs long that run (so 6 speakers)? What distance should you have between each speaker?

thanks so much in advance for help.
thanks, matt

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi mattcandy

You have a very ambitious project 🙂 Below is my suggested placement for the interior speakers. You can achieve the desired two zones using two Sonos Amps with 4 speakers per Amp. Setting in-ceiling speakers in stereo can be somewhat misleading to the listener if they are not positioned dead center. You might want to consider setting the Sonos Amps to mono so that the sound is the same to the listener regardless of their position in the room.

For the outside I'd suggest four (4) Sonance outdoor speakers placed at 5.25m apart. One Sonos Amp would be sufficient (2 pairs).

Here's a link to the In-Ceiling Sonance Architectural speakers: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/ceiling-speaker-pair.html

Here's a link to the Outdoor Sonance Architectural speakers: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/outdoor-speaker-pair.html
thanks - really helpful.

So do you think 3 pairs of ceiling speakers for each half of the kitchen room would be too much then...? i.e. 12 speakers in room 13.5m by 5m...? And therefore 8 speakers would be plenty...?

Re the outside - I also emailed Sonos themselves, who recommended 3 pairs for the Outside along the 21m long wall... but then also told me that the speakers were not waterproof (only weatherproof) and so would have to be undercover!! Sounds very strange for outdoor speakers, which also describe themselves as suitable against water, and all other outdoor elements. have you heard this before? Seems very strange to sell outdoor speakers, but then say you need to put them under cover!
also, do you think I need to get fire hoods for the ceiling speakers? or waste of money...? (e.g. https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/firetopper-pro-acoustic-speaker-fire-hood)

Or is there anything else I should get with them to prevent sound leakage , or are the sonos ceiling speakers quite good and dont need anything...?
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
thanks - really helpful.

So do you think 3 pairs of ceiling speakers for each half of the kitchen room would be too much then...? i.e. 12 speakers in room 13.5m by 5m...? And therefore 8 speakers would be plenty...?

Eight speakers would be my starting point. As you are roughing everything in at this point you could determine if more are needed beyond the eight. IMO the number of speakers will largely depend upon how loud you have to play your music in order to cover the desired listening area. If you want lower volumes then you may have to include more speakers. Keep in mind that when testing sound levels during construction the open ceiling will require a higher volume than when the ceiling is finally closed.

thanks - really helpful.Re the outside - I also emailed Sonos themselves, who recommended 3 pairs for the Outside along the 21m long wall... but then also told me that the speakers were not waterproof (only weatherproof) and so would have to be undercover!! Sounds very strange for outdoor speakers, which also describe themselves as suitable against water, and all other outdoor elements. have you heard this before? Seems very strange to sell outdoor speakers, but then say you need to put them under cover!

That's sounds odd to me as well. I'm going to forward this to someone I know on the Sonos staff for a definitive answer. I'll ask that the reply be posted here.

also, do you think I need to get fire hoods for the ceiling speakers? or waste of money...? (e.g. https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/firetopper-pro-acoustic-speaker-fire-hood)

That question is best answered by a professional installer who knows what building codes are in force when installing speakers in a ceiling or a wall.

Or is there anything else I should get with them to prevent sound leakage , or are the sonos ceiling speakers quite good and dont need anything...?

I'll ask the Sonos staff person to elaborate on that as well.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Re the outside - I also emailed Sonos themselves, who recommended 3 pairs for the Outside along the 21m long wall... but then also told me that the speakers were not waterproof (only weatherproof) and so would have to be undercover!! Sounds very strange for outdoor speakers, which also describe themselves as suitable against water, and all other outdoor elements. have you heard this before? Seems very strange to sell outdoor speakers, but then say you need to put them under cover!

Hi Matt, I'll look into the email situation. The outdoor Sonos and Sonance speakers are rated for outdoor use (no cover needed). I have coworkers out in Boston who attest to them surviving a Boston winter quite well. Direct from our website:

These outdoor speakers are engineered to withstand humidity, water, salt spray, heat, UV rays, and freezing temperatures.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The outdoor Sonos and Sonance speakers are rated for outdoor use (no cover needed). I have coworkers out in Boston who attest to them surviving a Boston winter quite well. Direct from our website:

These outdoor speakers are engineered to withstand humidity, water, salt spray, heat, UV rays, and freezing temperatures.

Although not Sonance speakers, I have my outdoor speakers uncovered out in the yard. No issues with that, but, I do keep them covered in a sized speaker cover when I know bad weather is coming, just for the added protection. If the speakers were under the eaves, then I wouldn't worry about it. Under the eaves is going to be better for sure, and perhaps add a little more life to the product, but IMO, it's better to place them where they hit the desired area best rather than worrying about protection. I decided to place mine near the back fence because my yard is not very deep, and I want the music facing the house as opposed to out into the neighbors yard.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings