Answered

Sonos Ceiling Speakers

Badge +4
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 21 replies

Quick question please, I am having a pair of ceiling speakers fitted into the Kitchen for music and another pair in the extension to form part of 5.1 TV surround sound.

If I use one amp can I do this? I won’t need to play music and watch TV at the same time, but can I switch all four to the same music? 

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by adamrt 8 April 2021, 15:30

So another £599 :( 

Thanks for your response.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A Sonos Amp acts as one zone. Any speakers wired to the Amp will play the same audio at the same volume. If you want the kitchen speakers to be separate from the surround setup, you need to get two Amps - one Amp to power the kitchen speakers and one Amp to power the surround speakers. 

Badge +4

So another £599 :( 

Thanks for your response.

Badge +4

A Sonos Amp acts as one zone. Any speakers wired to the Amp will play the same audio at the same volume. If you want the kitchen speakers to be separate from the surround setup, you need to get two Amps - one Amp to power the kitchen speakers and one Amp to power the surround speakers. 

So plan B

i can keep the play 5 in the kitchen and put the 4 speakers in the extension, can I use 4 ceiling speakers as part of the 5:1 ? Maybe wire both left and both right to the same terminal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A Play:5 would sound great in any kitchen.

You could use four ceiling speakers as rear surrounds with the Amp, but they would still only act as two channels - two speakers would act as rear left surrounds and the other two speakers would act as rear right surrounds. If you decide to go with this setup, be sure to keep this in mind for speaker placement.

Also, the four speakers must be wired to the Amp like the diagram below: