Sonos Boost And Range Extenders ?

• 19 December 2018
  • 8 replies

I have an old house with half metre thick stone walls. In order to achieve decent wi-fi throughout, it is necessary, in addition to the router, to have either additional access points or range extenders at various points. Now I know that Sonos and range extenders do not sit well together and the usual suggestion is to utilise a wired Sonos Boost. At present I have a) a pair of Sonos 1s in the same room as an access point and b) a pair of Sonos 3s in a room that has a range extender. I need to keep the range extender in the second room in order for the phone (which acts as the controller) to be within wi-fi range (and also for general internet browsing) but this creates a problem with the Sonos 3s which latch on to it. If I use a Sonos Boost in this second room will the Sonos 3s naturally pair with it and not be confused by the existing range extender. In other words can a Sonos Boost and a range extender co-exist in the same area ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Sunderleigh. In response to your question, yes. But we must not be reliant on the extender to facilitate the connection between your Sonos components.

Think of it this way:
The wireless Sonos devices in the Sonos mesh network must be able to report back to the wired Sonos component.
The extenders will facilitate connection between your iOS/Android/Computer to the WiFi network and by proxy, your Sonos system.

I would recommend the following.
A) Wire one of the two Sonos ONES into your main router.
😎 BOOST at a halfway point to your PLAY:3 (to act as a stepping stone for the wireless signal).
C) Your PLAY:3's remain where they are.

Then, as along as your extender is set to a separate wireless channel to your Sonos system, you should not have any interference as a result of using said extender. Do be mindful of the fact that this suggestion relies heavily on a decent wireless connection between point A, B and C, which I understand may be difficult with half meter thick stone walls. This is the conventional, Sonos sanctioned way of going about it. This is not to say that there are not other methods, though this would rely on your running the system off extenders. Any reliance of Ethernet Over Power to facilitate a "direct" connection between your Sonos devices and your network are not recommended as this can result in sub-par performance in most cases.

I hope I have explained this correctly.

EDIT: Here's a simplified diagram showing how it would hypothetically work. (I know what you're thinking - no, I do not take commissions).
This may or not be relevant, but how are your access points and extenders connected back to router - wired or wireless?

Also, what problem are you actually hoping to solve by introducing a Boost? What are you hoping to achieve?

Do you currently have any Sonos component(s) wired to your network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I presume that he's using Ethernet over Power, as is often the case in these situations. Hopefully I'm dead wrong and it's Ethernet cabling.
Many thanks for the lightning responses.

a) I appreciate that we can't rely on the range extender for connecting the Sonos components, that's why I queried the co-existence of the Boost and range extender. All the wired ethernet connections are Cat 5 cable and no power over ethernet.

b) I can connect both a Sonos One and a Connect to the router (via a switch). I will experiment with this before trying a Boost as from what you have described the range extender should still allow the controller (iphone) to communicate with the Sonos components without interfering with the function of the Sonos mesh.

Thanks to all.
Hi again. You were presumably planning to wire the Boost to the range extender? Would it be possible to wire one of the P:3s to the extender?

If you were not planning to wire the Boost you should be aware that it won't do anything unless a Sonos device somewhere is wired to the network.
Hi John B

The Boost would be wired to a J45 ethernet connection but the P:3s are both mounted at ceiling height so no chance of wiring them to anything else. Just to clarify, the arrangement (if Boost acquired) would be as follows:-

Room A) Sonos Connect connected to router via switch. 2 x P:Ones with potentially 1 of them connected to router via switch. Room also contains an access point (for normal wi-fi use) connected to router via switch.

Room 😎 2 x P:3s. Range extender (for normal wi-fi use) operating wirelessly from access point in Room A (this could equally well be replaced by another access point connected to the router via switch). Potentially a Boost either wireless or connected to router via switch.

Hope this makes sense.
That seems OK. Can't really see any point in connecting the Boost to the same switch as other Sonos components. As Edward suggested, you should think about / experiment with the location of the Boost (if you get one), as it acts as a repeater when SonosNet is running. Positioning it between your speakers so that it can 'bridge' the gap may be best.

Incidentally, a Play:1 would not cost much more than a Boost, would also act as a repeater, and gives you an extra speaker. That may be worth considering if you could use music where the Boost would go.

Once you have a wired component, and SonosNet is therefore running, Sonos speakers will want to talk to each other over SonosNet. It is best then to remove (reset) your home wifi credentials from Sonos. In Advanced Settings, go to Wireless Setup and follow the prompts.

You will have to experiment. Please let us know how it goes or if we can help further.
All very helpful, thank you. Will let you know the results.