Sonos beam with sky q

• 4 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi there 

I recently bought a beam and have set it up with my Samsung tv (5 years old). Initially I could get Dolby sound from the tv apps (Netflix, prime etc) but not with sky TV

i found a thread on here that recommended a hdmi splitter and doing the following, which I have done.

“- HDMI from Sky Q to the "in" port on the splitter

- HDMI from "Out" port on the splitter to TV (HDMI ARC)

- Optical from Beam into Splitter

- Splitter set to "pass" and arc "on"

- Sky box set to output Dolby Digital “

initially this didn’t work but if I chose arc ‘off’ on the splitter then sky tv plays in perfect Dolby but I now get no sound from the tv apps.

if I switch from sky to say Amazon prime, the audio from sky continues to play

any tips on getting it to work on both sky and my tv apps?

thanks Im advance 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m confused. If you have ARC on your TV, what purpose does the HDMI switch serve? Why not connect the Beam directly to that ARC port, and connect the SkyQ to another HDMI port? That way, the Beam would play both the SkyQ data and the TV’s smart apps. 

That’s exactly what I did to start with but no matter what I did I couldn’t get Dolby from the sky box (it came out as stereo pcm) but the tv apps were fine 

I think it’s an issue with the tv not passing though (the handshake?) the Dolby audio from sky to the beam?

so followed another thread and used the splitter (not switch) as they recepmoended and now Dolby works amazingly for sky but I have no audio on sky

can anyone help?

So I tried from the start again and set up as Bruce suggested above and with the hdmi audio output on sky settings set to Dolby. Again no sound from sky (unless I change sky audio back to normal and then I get pcm stereo). As before all the tv apps (Netflix, prime) work fine in Dolby. 

This is what led me to do that I described in my original post using a hdmi splitter. 

then it went the other way round with sky tv working in Dolby but no audio from the tv apps. To get audio from tv apps I need to change the hdmi out from the splitter from arc to the other hdmi input in the tv 

can anyone help?

Ah, then the issue was with the pass through in your TV. I have a similar issue on mine, the HDMI ports will only pass Dolby Digital, and not Dolby Digital Plus. The onboard TV apps will send Dolby Digital Plus, however. Most frustrating. 

Your challenge appears to be in getting the ARC signal back from the TV to the HDMI switch, which should then pass it on via the optical output. Unfortunately, this is a Sonos support board, and the best place to get the answers you seek is on a support board, or the customer service folks, for the switch manufacturer. 

Without knowing the manufacturer, model, or any specifics about the switch, or even having a link to the manual, I can only say that the way you’ve set it up sounds logical to me, so I have no idea why it’s not working, save that it might be ‘broken’, which is why discussing with the switch manufacturer is key.