Answered

Sonos Beam question

I have a receiver that’s about 8yrs old but it’s all in one with the CD player and I want to keep it. I have a room it’s in and it has decent speakers with its own sub in that room. I want to add a sonos product so I can get whole home sound. I have 2 plays 1’s with a sub in the kitchen and eventually I will add 2 more play 1’s. I got the connect and it just never worked and I had to spend hours setting it up. I believe it’s my network not the connect. So I was thinking of trying the play 5 but it’s a bit more than I want to spend. Can I get the beam and plug that into my receiver via the HDMI port and have it work that way? Then I could use the beam as my center speaker as well. I really love sonos products and want to move from room to room with sound but I don’t want to spend hours fixing stuff. I even got the boost which didn’t help either so I returned everything and am starting over.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 January 2019, 22:29

Dense post.

No, the Beam can not be connected to your receiver, unless your receiver has an optical output. It will not work off of an HDMI output, it's looking for the ARC (Audio Return Channel) of an HDMI-ARC, which I've never seen on a receiver...only on TVs.

Note, the Beam isn't a center speaker. It's the left, center, and right speaker.

View original

1 reply

Dense post.

No, the Beam can not be connected to your receiver, unless your receiver has an optical output. It will not work off of an HDMI output, it's looking for the ARC (Audio Return Channel) of an HDMI-ARC, which I've never seen on a receiver...only on TVs.

Note, the Beam isn't a center speaker. It's the left, center, and right speaker.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings