Answered

Sonos Beam placement

• 22 June 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi there!

I am thinking of adding a Sonos beam to my television and put it on a shelf to turn it a bit to the right to direct the sound to the listening position. One problem I have with this is that the wall is hollow and can’t hold much weight, one shelf of the Ikea gripped itself out of the wall... (whoops).

Is it advisable to get the wall mount of the Sonos beam and place it as far as I can to the right? My listening position when looking to the television is not directly in front of the television but rather somewhat to the right side of it. I will upload a picture from my listening position.

Please let me know what you think!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 22 June 2018, 15:43

The flexibility of placement and movement is going to depend on what mount you use. All of the mounts sound be secured directly into a stud so that they don't fall off easily like your ikea shelf. Most mounts I've seen will give you some flexibility to move the soundbar left or right a bit, and it looks like the beam mounts on the Sonos site are no different.

I get what you're saying regarding sliding the beam further to the right on the wall. You can do that, especially if you're not concerned about hiding the wires. If it's in your budget I would go for this....

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/flexson-cantilever-mount-for-beam.html

Replace your existing tv mount and get this one so that the tv and beam move together. I'm sure it has the same or greater range of motion than your existing tv mount. Your wiring should look cleaner too.

There are soundbar mounts that are designed to attach to your existing tv mount, but I don't that there is one that will work the with the beam and current tv mount.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge
Not related to Sonos, but those holes are pretty easy to fix. Not sure if you done this stuff before.

http://www.updater.com/moving-tips/diy-tips-to-fill-nail-holes-in-the-wall

Yes, I've hung a few tvs on the wall at my place. The first one was a little intimidating, but it's not that difficult. I wouldn't call myself a handy man, but I can do a few things around the house. I love doing little projects like this.

If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, you can probably find a local find a local handy man to do it. I can't say for sure as I'm never used those service. Your local Best Buy or the equivalent will do it, but not sure if they will want you to buy a new tv or soundbar along with the installation service. Maybe it's a good excuse to get a new tv as well? :-}

Also, an installer may be able to hide cables behind the walls if it's possible.

Great hearing from you, Danny!

I will fill the holes with some kind of hole filler they sell in my local hardware store, I think that works out and it is also stated in the article you've sent me 🙂!

Your advice is really great by the way, I will get the new mount for the television and the Sonos beam to place them in one place. First things first, I've got to confirm that there is a stud of course and will confirm with the according tools. You've been a great help to make my final decision, thank you very much!
Not related to Sonos, but those holes are pretty easy to fix. Not sure if you done this stuff before.

http://www.updater.com/moving-tips/diy-tips-to-fill-nail-holes-in-the-wall

Yes, I've hung a few tvs on the wall at my place. The first one was a little intimidating, but it's not that difficult. I wouldn't call myself a handy man, but I can do a few things around the house. I love doing little projects like this.

If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, you can probably find a local find a local handy man to do it. I can't say for sure as I'm never used those service. Your local Best Buy or the equivalent will do it, but not sure if they will want you to buy a new tv or soundbar along with the installation service. Maybe it's a good excuse to get a new tv as well? :-}

Also, an installer may be able to hide cables behind the walls if it's possible.
Badge
No my father did it years ago and said he didn’t know if it was in a stud or not. I do think that it is in a stud but I will have to check for that with the tools you mentioned. Those holes were for the shelf which fell out of the wall haha!

I am thinking about getting the mount you mentioned it looks very sleek and does exactly what I would want from the mount!

Do you have a drywall yourself with a tv mount?
Yea, I saw those holes and figured you were looking for a stud. 😉 If you were nailing holes like that, you'd definitely tell the difference between nailing through air and through a stud. I'm no expert in construction, but it could be some irregular stud structure behind there. That sometimes hapen around built-ins, like your cabinetsand such. You can get a stud finder which can be reliable in finding the stud, but no more that your random nailing.

Regardless I would bet good money that the tv mount is against a stud. I can't imagine it would still be up otherwise. Plus, it looks around the right distance from the light switch, which is attached to a stud 99% of the time. Whatever is holding up your tv now should be reliable for holding it with a new tv mount.

Did you mount the tv yourself or did someone else do it?
Badge
I'd be really surprised if your tv isn't currently mounted into the stud already. If you replace the old mount with a new mount in the same vertical location (studs always run vertically) it's going to hold and won't fall. Even if you went with a fixed sonos mount, you need to make sure you're drilling into the stud and not just the dry wall. Dry wall isn't going to hold that much weight.

If you aren't at all comfortable with this, the instructions for the mount should walk you through making sure you're going through a stud. There are also plenty of youtube videos out there so you visually see how it's done.

Sounds a lot better to me than just putting a drywall plug in the hollow drywall. I don't know if the stud is behind the tv because I also made a hole under the tv mount and couldn't see anything behind it. Do you think that I already went through the stud in that case or should I just check it with a youtube video as you mentioned earlier?

Really great advice again! I didn't think (or knew) of this possibility before. 😃
I'd be really surprised if your tv isn't currently mounted into the stud already. If you replace the old mount with a new mount in the same vertical location (studs always run vertically) it's going to hold and won't fall. Even if you went with a fixed sonos mount, you need to make sure you're drilling into the stud and not just the dry wall. Dry wall isn't going to hold that much weight.

If you aren't at all comfortable with this, the instructions for the mount should walk you through making sure you're going through a stud. There are also plenty of youtube videos out there so you visually see how it's done.
Badge
The flexibility of placement and movement is going to depend on what mount you use. All of the mounts sound be secured directly into a stud so that they don't fall off easily like your ikea shelf. Most mounts I've seen will give you some flexibility to move the soundbar left or right a bit, and it looks like the beam mounts on the Sonos site are no different.

I get what you're saying regarding sliding the beam further to the right on the wall. You can do that, especially if you're not concerned about hiding the wires. If it's in your budget I would go for this....

Replace your existing tv mount and get this one so that the tv and beam move together. I'm sure it has the same or greater range of motion than your existing tv mount. Your wiring should look cleaner too.

There are soundbar mounts that are designed to attach to your existing tv mount, but I don't that there is one that will work the with the beam and current tv mount.

Thank you so much for your answer! I was also thinking about the mount you’ve mentioned but I am afraid that the same problem will arise as the mount will have more weight to carry and can maybe grip itself out of the wall too. After reading your answer I am thinking of getting the fixed Sonos mount and place it as far as possible to the right to prevent the mount gripping out of the wall. 🆒