Answered

Sonos Beam Low Volume from Television

Badge
I bought a Sonos Beam, on Nov 18, 2018, to replace my ZVOX AccuVoice AV200 Soundbar.

When I had the the AV200 connected to my Sony XBR-43800E TV, using the analog/digital 3.5mm input, I usually had the AV200 volume set to between 10 - 14. The TV volume was set to zero (0). The AV200 has its own volume control.

When watching the same channels and programs recorded on my TabloTV DVR using the Sonos Beam, I have to turn-up the TV volume to 37 - 55 to get the same perceived volume.

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the Sonos Beam and it is connected to the HDMI (ARC) port on my Sony XBR-43800ETV.

I have tried all the remedies that I could find, in the community, concerning Beam Low Volume and none of them have helped to changed anything concerning the low volume..

Am I tilting at Windmills here or is there a way to get my Beam and TV sound working correctly?
icon

Best answer by RMScholbe 7 December 2018, 19:29

The important parts of the help I got via Facebook Sonos Messenger for my problem.

RMScholbe Reply:

Good Morning. My TV Sound is set to Audio System. My beam is still connected to my TV via the Optical Adapter. When I switched back and forth from "TV Speakers" to "Audio System" the sound was about the same level. The Beam sounds way better...

Sonos Reply:

Hey, thanks for getting back to us. Is the volume still low on the Beam? Did you get a chance to raise the volume on the Sonos app for your Beam? It would be good to get a further diagnostic report if you've made any changes.

RMScholbe reply:

I switched back to the HDMI (ARC) Connector.

The diagnostic confirmation number is: 1889580356.

I must apologize for my stupidity. Your comment, "Did you get a chance to raise the volume on the Sonos app for your Beam?" kicked my brain into gear.

When I configured my Harmony Hub to control the volume for the Beam, I selected my TV, instead of the Beam. So, i wasn't changing the volume of the amp in the Beam.

I have reconfigured my Harmony to use the Beam to control the volume and not the TV.

Now I have the TV volume set to 25 and my Harmony remotes control the volume of the Beam using the Beams Amp.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

Did my latest diagnostic reveal any problems?

Thank you for helping me get my system running...

Sonos Reply:

The diagnostic lets us know that the internal functions of the Beam are working fine, but the diagnostic will not give us a cross comparison between the volume settings. Please do the following:

Open the Sonos app and go to the Living Room. You should see the volume bar of the Living Room at the bottom of the page. You don't need to press any buttons on the Sonos app but we need you to keep an eye on the volume bar for this next test.

Using the Harmony remote, lower the volume until you're not able to hear anything. On the Sonos app, make sure the volume slider is also moving. (Again do NOT touch the volume control within the Sonos app.) You may see a green light appear on the Beam, this is normal and indicates that the volume is currently set to 0.

Using the Harmony remote please raise the volume to about 25-30%, the volume bar in the Sonos app should also rise (keep in mind that that different manufacturers have different volume scaling so it's ok if the volume bar looks like it's under or slightly over the 25-30% mark in the Sonos app).

Ultimately, your ears are the best judge, can you tell us if the volume sounds very low or faint? If you raise the volume slightly, do you hear a jump in volume level? What source on the TV are you using? (cable box, Netflix, gaming console?)

RMScholbe Reply:

I did the above before sending my last message. That is how it is working now. The sources I use are OTA, TabloTV, ROKU, my music and a Sony Blu-ray Player. I have my TV Volume set to 25 and the screenshot is where I have the Beam Slider adjusted to, using my Harmony Remote.

I am happy with my setup now. Onward to Surround Sound.

Everything works like my ZVOX AV200 did...

Thank you all the help...

The bottom line is I caused my problem, by not configuring my Harmony Remotes to control the Sonos Beam volume, rather than the TV volume...

Sonos Support using Facebook Messenger is the best!!!

View original

6 replies

Badge
Could someone tell me how to delete my question or close it. Working with the Sonos Support folks on Facebook, I got my problem fixed...
Glad that you were able to resolve your issue....you might still be able to "edit" your original post, but not delete it.

But I'd suggest that you post what solution you achieved while working with the Sonos support folks, so that others that run across this thread can benefit from the knowledge you've gained.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Hi there, RMScholbe. I've marked your post as the answer. In the future, feel free to post your solution and mark it as the best answer so others can see what you did to get it resolved.

If you'd like a thread deleted, reach out by sending any Sonos Staff a PM and we'll be happy to get everything sorted.

Thanks and see you around!
Badge
The important parts of the help I got via Facebook Sonos Messenger for my problem.

RMScholbe Reply:

Good Morning. My TV Sound is set to Audio System. My beam is still connected to my TV via the Optical Adapter. When I switched back and forth from "TV Speakers" to "Audio System" the sound was about the same level. The Beam sounds way better...

Sonos Reply:

Hey, thanks for getting back to us. Is the volume still low on the Beam? Did you get a chance to raise the volume on the Sonos app for your Beam? It would be good to get a further diagnostic report if you've made any changes.

RMScholbe reply:

I switched back to the HDMI (ARC) Connector.

The diagnostic confirmation number is: 1889580356.

I must apologize for my stupidity. Your comment, "Did you get a chance to raise the volume on the Sonos app for your Beam?" kicked my brain into gear.

When I configured my Harmony Hub to control the volume for the Beam, I selected my TV, instead of the Beam. So, i wasn't changing the volume of the amp in the Beam.

I have reconfigured my Harmony to use the Beam to control the volume and not the TV.

Now I have the TV volume set to 25 and my Harmony remotes control the volume of the Beam using the Beams Amp.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

Did my latest diagnostic reveal any problems?

Thank you for helping me get my system running...

Sonos Reply:

The diagnostic lets us know that the internal functions of the Beam are working fine, but the diagnostic will not give us a cross comparison between the volume settings. Please do the following:

Open the Sonos app and go to the Living Room. You should see the volume bar of the Living Room at the bottom of the page. You don't need to press any buttons on the Sonos app but we need you to keep an eye on the volume bar for this next test.

Using the Harmony remote, lower the volume until you're not able to hear anything. On the Sonos app, make sure the volume slider is also moving. (Again do NOT touch the volume control within the Sonos app.) You may see a green light appear on the Beam, this is normal and indicates that the volume is currently set to 0.

Using the Harmony remote please raise the volume to about 25-30%, the volume bar in the Sonos app should also rise (keep in mind that that different manufacturers have different volume scaling so it's ok if the volume bar looks like it's under or slightly over the 25-30% mark in the Sonos app).

Ultimately, your ears are the best judge, can you tell us if the volume sounds very low or faint? If you raise the volume slightly, do you hear a jump in volume level? What source on the TV are you using? (cable box, Netflix, gaming console?)

RMScholbe Reply:

I did the above before sending my last message. That is how it is working now. The sources I use are OTA, TabloTV, ROKU, my music and a Sony Blu-ray Player. I have my TV Volume set to 25 and the screenshot is where I have the Beam Slider adjusted to, using my Harmony Remote.

I am happy with my setup now. Onward to Surround Sound.

Everything works like my ZVOX AV200 did...

Thank you all the help...

The bottom line is I caused my problem, by not configuring my Harmony Remotes to control the Sonos Beam volume, rather than the TV volume...

Sonos Support using Facebook Messenger is the best!!!
Badge
Keith N wrote:

Hi there, RMScholbe. I've marked your post as the answer. In the future, feel free to post your solution and mark it as the best answer so others can see what you did to get it resolved.

Thanks for the response. Could you mark my post with the information from my seesions with Sonos Support as the answer?

I can find the option to mark it as the "Best Answer."
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Done and done, thanks for the update!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings