Sonos Beam and Samsung TV--Hard to believe

It is hard to believe that Sonos does not publish or fix the problem there appears to be with their new product The Sonos Beam and connectivity to Samsung TV.
So many people have been waiting for this product, and many own Samsung TV's and we cannot use the Beam with the ARC Connection,
If there is a fix out there can someone from Sonos please respond.
Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

This is a SONOS issue, not Samsung. I have two Samsung TVs, both 2017 models. I have a Samsung soundbar on one and a Bose on the other. Never had an issue with either of them with audio not coming thru. I have never had to unplug my cable box, chromecast or blu ray player on either TV because my Samsung or Bose soundbars would not work.

I purchased the Sonos Beam and it worked well.. for about 30 minutes. I turned the TV off and a couple of hours later, turned the TV back on and guess what...NO SOUND coming from the Beam! I came to several communities related to Sonos hoping to find an easy fix. Everything suggested is very complicated. Resetting the TV and the Beam, unplugging other equipment from the HDMI ports, performing all kinds of investigations, contacting support. Why should I have to go thru all of that and do all of this investigation just to use a soundbar on my TV??? Is it just me? I just don't have that kind of extra time on my hands. I need to plug it in, set it up and go on with my life.

I know this bar may be considered mid-level, but, for me, at $400, this is an expensive soundbar. It should work flawlessly on any TV like other sound bars that are half the price. I tried using the optical cable. That didn't help. And Alexa? What a joke! the Beam couldn't even link to my Alexa account. I packed that sucker up and sent it back. Shame on Sonos for making an expensive product that is not compatible with one of the most popular brands of TVs on the market. I always heard Sonos was the best of the best. Well, they certainly have not proved it with the Sonos Beam.
This is a SONOS issue, not Samsung. I have two Samsung TVs, both 2017 models. I have a Samsung soundbar on one and a Bose on the other. Never had an issue with either of them with audio not coming thru. I have never had to unplug my cable box, chromecast or blu ray player on either TV because my Samsung or Bose soundbars would not work.

Sonos is following the established CEC commands and HDMI-ARC protocols. Unfortunately, the TV brands are not so great at following the protocols and have made some adjustments as they saw fit. There is nothing Sonos can do about this. I would bet that your other soundbars are not connecting through HDMI-ARC, but through an HDMI pass through or optical connection. You could have opted to use optical for your Beam if you chose.

I purchased the Sonos Beam and it worked well.. for about 30 minutes. I turned the TV off and a couple of hours later, turned the TV back on and guess what...NO SOUND coming from the Beam! I came to several communities related to Sonos hoping to find an easy fix. Everything suggested is very complicated. Resetting the TV and the Beam, unplugging other equipment from the HDMI ports, performing all kinds of investigations, contacting support. Why should I have to go thru all of that and do all of this investigation just to use a soundbar on my TV??? Is it just me? I just don't have that kind of extra time on my hands. I need to plug it in, set it up and go on with my life.

It is not just you, but the majority of users setup the Beam without issue.
I know this bar may be considered mid-level, but, for me, at $400, this is an expensive soundbar. It should work flawlessly on any TV like other sound bars that are half the price. I tried using the optical cable. That didn't help. And Alexa? What a joke! the Beam couldn't even link to my Alexa account. I packed that sucker up and sent it back. Shame on Sonos for making an expensive product that is not compatible with one of the most popular brands of TVs on the market. I always heard Sonos was the best of the best. Well, they certainly have not proved it with the Sonos Beam.

I'm surprised you had issues with optical connection. That makes me think that your TV was not set to send audio through the optical port, or you were use a sort that wasn't outputting audio in dolby digital 5.1 or PCM stereo. Can't comment on Alexa as you gave no information whatsoever as a means to guess what the problem was. Alexa is working just fine on Beam with a few exceptions.
I have been having problems with my Beam and Samsung Q8 TV since I received the Beam. To start I have 2 Beams, on 2 separate identical TVs. The Beam drops from the TV every few weeks. Resetting the TV and the Beam, which is a pain on both devices, doesn't work. At first I thought it was Samsung. Switched Beams and TV same issues. Have the time during the re-setup the TV sees the Beam as a Cox cable box. Unplug the TV and start the process over the Beam is discovered. At first this happen every few weeks. Sonos updated the Beam software yesterday, it has not worked correctly since the update. Frustrating that you can't choose to not accept the updates and that Sonos support is not working on the weekend. Now when get the Beam to work, turn everything off and back on, the Beam is either missing as an option for sound (TV still sees it on HDMI 4 the ARC port) or the sound comes out of the Beam but drops in and out every few seconds. Turn everything off, the sound is back out of the TV and only way to get it back is to unplug the TV. Like I said, I have 2 Beams and 2 identical TVs, same issues. I've switched cables too. Other HDMI devices are a DISH box (Joey per the TV) and a 4th generation Apple TV. Tried turning the HDMI control on the Apple TV off. The Dish is an old box and does not have that option. This is beyond frustrating, with the latest update the Beams are useless at this point. Really wish I could return them or sell them and recoup some of the money lost.

I have the exact same setup, Samsung Q8 & Beam, and the exact same problems.