Answered

Sonos Architecture and Amp Volume differences

Hi Everyone - 

Tried to search the forum and either I was A) lazy and didn’t search very hard or long; B) no one has had this same issue; or C) no clear resolution.

So here is the issue - I have 4 Sonos amps with the Sonance architectural speakers. There are a total or 10 speakers in 4 “rooms” (one is outside, thus the quotes). I noticed the other day after Trueplay tuning them, that they are at different volumes. I have used the slider to adjust the volumes as needed, but to play the same source from all the speakers at the same perceptible volume, the sliders are not even close to being the same. I will discount the patio as those are at a different height, but the other 3 rooms have the speakers at the same height. With the sliders matching for the same volume on each in the app, standing directly under the speakers I hear the sound at different volumes. Is this something I am going to have to live with, or is this something that can be fixed? I want to be able to group them together but have them be all at the same slider volume and perceptible volume.

All speakers are wired with the same gauge wire and same connectors. The 3 sets in question have the AMP in the same location, stacked on one another.

icon

Best answer by Kumar 7 June 2021, 04:05

@mgarman14 : do the trueplay on/off and rule that in/out.

Apart from that I see no reason - except the speaker wire thickness. If it is the same, and all amps are in one location, are you seeing lower sound levels from speakers in rooms that have a longer speaker cable run? If yes, a thicker wire is the correct fix, but there are workarounds...

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Are the three rooms exactly the same size?

They are not. They were all tuned without any ambient noise. Two rooms have 2 speakers, the largest has 4. I figured that may have some effect on the overall sound, but would not expect it to affect the volume. But even then, the smallest room (dining room) is much quieter than the next largest (kitchen, which is also louder than the family room (largest) but the family is louder than the dining room.

Should add, if that description makes any sense at all.

Userlevel 7

More than likely the difference in room size, acoustics, and number of speakers is why the volume is different in each room. You could try adjusting the Volume Limit on each Amp to make the volume sliders more even.

got it. wasn’t sure if that would help or not considering it’s not the loudness i was concerned about, but wanted to make sure they can all play the same volume but still have conversations. Would removing the Trueplay essentially “reset” them to factory, so that they would play more consistent that way?

Userlevel 7

Possibly. You can try turning off Trueplay tuning on each Amp and see if it makes a difference.

ok thanks. I will try that first and go from there. I will reply in a couple of days either way.

I noticed the other day after Trueplay tuning them, that they are at different volumes.

With the sliders matching for the same volume on each in the app, standing directly under the speakers I hear the sound at different volumes.

The first can be easily identified by toggling Trueplay on/off and seeing if that changes things; I doubt it will because I doubt that is the reason for the problem. But it is an easy hence no brainer troubleshooting step, to rule that out.

If the source, amps and speakers of the same kind/spec, this should not happen. Room acoustic issues will not come into play in the position you describe. 

Check that the volume limiters are not in use on the amps, to rule out that probably reason.

Kumar,

Thanks, i will try that first and check the limiters. There should not be, as I never set limiters but it’s worth a look. If that doesn't work, any other thoughts?

@mgarman14 : do the trueplay on/off and rule that in/out.

Apart from that I see no reason - except the speaker wire thickness. If it is the same, and all amps are in one location, are you seeing lower sound levels from speakers in rooms that have a longer speaker cable run? If yes, a thicker wire is the correct fix, but there are workarounds...

Hey guys - Thanks for the help. I went home that day and tried out the system, and for some reason it seemed like the speakers were now working as they should - Volumes were the same under each speaker as I would expect it to be. I did not do anything in particular or change any settings. Maybe it was something where I needed to just reset the routers as I did update the firmware on them. But thanks for everything!