Answered

Sonos Arc audio format questions

• 12 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi

Trying to figure out how to get the best out of the arc and have a few questions.

My Samsung TV lets me choose between PCM or Dolby Digital as audio format. From what I understand is PCM 2.0 stereo, so I should choose Dolby Digital instead?

Also, when support for LPCM arrives, I still have to use Dolby/PCM since the TV doesn’t support LPCM, even if Apple TV supports LPCM? Meaning, is the tv a bottleneck here?

Last, is bitstream an option as a possible update to the Arc in the future?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by Krishma M 18 October 2020, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out with this.

I can offer my thanks in return :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Stuffu, thanks for reaching out here and let me help you with this. When using HDMI cable and connected to eARC port of your TV, it’s best to use the Dolby Digital but still based on your preference. eARC should always be enabled if possible to get the most out of the Sonos Arc. Below are the possible options that you may have. We’ll support LPCM soon and be part of the future software update. About Bitstream, it should work and you only need to make sure your TV is set to output Dolby Digital or Bitstream audio via the optical or HDMI ARC connection. If you see both Dolby Digital and Bitstream options, choose Dolby Digital. Still, based on your preference. 

Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.