Sonos and Google Mesh WiFi

• 29 August 2020
  • 7 replies

I install Google Mesh Wifi and Sonos.

Recently when installing the new Nest branded google mesh wifi I have encountered connectivity issues with Sonos.  This has happened at two locations.

Everything works fine for a few days and then my customer says they cant connect to Sonos.

I am able to reconnect the Sonos to the app, using S2, everything works and then a few days later it has disconnected again.  

The isp router wifi is disabled at both locations.  The nest router is connected to the isp router.  The Sonos amp was connected to the nest router for the initial setup and then disconnected.  The Sonos amp is moved to a different location and does not stay not connected to the nest router. 

Wifi coverage is excellent. 

Should I leave one Sonos product connected to the nest router for stability?

Would connecting a bridge to the nest router help?

I understand the nest wifi has 2.4 and 5G, I do not know how to tell Sonos to only stay on 2.4, maybe that is my problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You do not want a Bridge, they are very old and slow, on top of that they are prone to hard to find problems.

Wiring a Speaker (not a sub or surround) to your router will work almost as well as adding a Boost. It is rare that the difference in the two methods makes a difference in the operation.

You can’t tell Sonos to stay on 2.4 GHz, the primary speakers will only work wired or on 2.4 You can pick the channel if one is wired or you add a Boost. The surrounds will only work on 5 GHz and you can’t control the channel for the 5 GHz networking.

You do not want a Bridge, they are very old and slow, on top of that they are prone to hard to find problems.

Wiring a Speaker (not a sub or surround) to your router will work almost as well as adding a Boost. It is rare that the difference in the two methods makes a difference in the operation.

You can’t tell Sonos to stay on 2.4 GHz, the primary speakers will only work wired or on 2.4 You can pick the channel if one is wired or you add a Boost. The surrounds will only work on 5 GHz and you can’t control the channel for the 5 GHz networking.

Thanks for your reponse Stanley_4

It appears Im not the only one having issues with Sonos and Google/Nest Mesh Wifi

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/4120014?hl=en

In one configuration I have an Amp, Port, and two Play 1’s, excellent wifi coverage, and the two Play 1’s frequently disappear from the S2 app.

In the other setup I have an Arc, Sub, Connect, two Play 1’s, and a One, excellent wifi coverage and the One frequently disconnects from the network.  

I have installed Eero and Orbi as well.  Do you know of a mesh wifi system that works seamlessly with Sonos? 

Am I correct that Sonos creates its own mesh network? If so, would having one Sonos product hardwired to the Google/Nest router stabilize the wireless network connection to each product.

I appreciate your thoughts/input, very frustrating.. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @84wiremaster.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I agree with @Stanley_4 and just for additional information as well that might help. I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference.

• Have each access point have their own unique Wifi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

Let me share with you a topic on this community that discusses multiple routers. You can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can remove functionality from most mesh systems and end up with them working with Sonos. You give up a lot to do that though, much of it the reason you probably went to a mesh in the first place. I just couldn’t see crippling my WiFi setup to the point it would work with Sonos.

Yes, Sonos creates their own mesh if you wire a speaker (not sub or surround) or a Boost. The only restriction on your home WiFi then is you need to keep it off the 2.4 GHZ channel you have SonosNet set to use.

I’m having the same issue.  I have Google Nest Mesh wifi system and bought the arc, sub, and (2) ones to work with my LG OLED.  I can only connect 1 device to my system and the other devices seem to be located in no man’s land as they are able to connect if I unplug the one device that displays on my system.  I might just keep the arc and return the other devices if I can’t figure out a solution.  I spent 5-6 hours with support trying to get this resolved and they stated it probably has to do with the network wifi settings.  Anyadvice?

Wire one Sonos device to the hub of your Google Nest Mesh, and then power cycle all your other Sonos product, to ensure they pick up the change to SonosNet. Then remove your WiFi info from the Sonos controller, as indicated in the remove Wifi data FAQ. 

It is important that the device is wired to the hub of the Google Nest and not an extender, though. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi ademarco6,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask if you can send me a private message of your desired screen name here in the Sonos Community so I can help out with that.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,