Answered

Sonos and B&O Question

• 23 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all - I have a question regarding integrating my B&O system into my Sonos network.

Currently I have a Sonos Playbar in my bedroom, and a Sonos Move in the Kitchen. I like being able to link them together to play music throughout my house. But in my living room, I have a B&O Beosound 9000 wired to B&O Beolab 8000 speakers. I’d love to be able to get these linked into the Sonos system somehow. I’ve been looking at Port and Amp and trying to figure out how that could work, but confused as to which product (if either) to buy, and how to connect them to the 8000/9000. My aim would be to have the B&O system function as if it was a Sonos product on my Sonos network - i.e. stream to it from my phone, link and de-link with the Move/Playbar, etc. Also, will the Move/Amp be able to auto power-on the B&O system and what adapters/cables do I need?

Many thanks in advance!!

icon

Best answer by tracker 23 September 2021, 20:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Amp is an amplifier, so can be connected to passive speakers. The Port has no amplification. Since you use your Beosound 9000 for amplification I would look at connecting a Port. I read (Beocentral - BeoSound 9000) that the Beosound has a 7-pin Aux- connection. If yours has this too, you'd need a cable like this to connect the Port: Amazon.com: GLHONG 7 Pin DIN to RCA Cable, 7-Pin MIDI Male Plug to 2 RCA Male Audio Adapter Cord for Bang Olufsen, Naim, Quad.Stereo Systems (50 cm) : Electronics

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

To your second question, no, the Port will not be able to auto-power-on the Beosound 9000.  You will press the “A.AUX” button on the 9000’s own control panel, or on your Beo4 remote control either A.MEM or A.TAPE (depending how old it is).

BUT:  If you ever decide to give up on playing CDs (because you have this Sonos system!:wink:)  remember that you could remove the Beosound 9000 completely.  The Beolab 8000s are where the amplifier(s) actually live!  They have a switch on the bottom labeled L/R/LINE, thus each 8000 can power up automatically when sound is played on line input, which you would take directly from the Sonos Port.  That would give you the auto-power-on feature, at the expense of losing CD/Radio functions of the Beosound 9000.  (Before you ask, no, you cannot do them both at once; that 3-position switch is exclusive & hard-wired.)  

I do not use this powered-speakers-only setup myself, because (a) line-sense power-up always has a slight delay, (b) that circuit always seems to age/break sooner than the Powerlink trigger and the actual audio amplifier in the 8000s, and (c) the 9000 is soooo cool-looking!!!

To your second question, no, the Port will not be able to auto-power-on the Beosound 9000.  You will press the “A.AUX” button on the 9000’s own control panel, or on your Beo4 remote control either A.MEM or A.TAPE (depending how old it is).

BUT:  If you ever decide to give up on playing CDs (because you have this Sonos system!:wink:)  remember that you could remove the Beosound 9000 completely.  The Beolab 8000s are where the amplifier(s) actually live!  They have a switch on the bottom labeled L/R/LINE, thus each 8000 can power up automatically when sound is played on line input, which you would take directly from the Sonos Port.  That would give you the auto-power-on feature, at the expense of losing CD/Radio functions of the Beosound 9000.  (Before you ask, no, you cannot do them both at once; that 3-position switch is exclusive & hard-wired.)  

I do not use this powered-speakers-only setup myself, because (a) line-sense power-up always has a slight delay, (b) that circuit always seems to age/break sooner than the Powerlink trigger and the actual audio amplifier in the 8000s, and (c) the 9000 is soooo cool-looking!!!

Thanks! I went with the Port directly to the 8000’s AUX ports as I figured I would find switching the speaker switches when I want to use the CD less annoying/frequent than turning on the 9000 every time I want to stream music wirelessly. But I can always flip it around if I change my mind. Thanks again!