Question

Sonos and Amazon Echo wireless integration

When is this update due to be available?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It has been promised for "sometime this year". Unlikely to be further news until it actually happens.
Why so secretive, surely it should be something shout about. Wouldn't Sonos want to stop current customers going out and purchasing competitive products if there is no news available?
Sonos does not preannounce release dates because they do not schedule releases by calendar date, they schedule according to testing goals met. Also, Sonos is always quite quiet about private betas which may or may not be taking place. Take that as you will.

By the way, if you want release dates, buy Denon. They gave approximate release dates for Alexa integration, Google Cast, and a Windows phone app. I'm sure their customers were quite pleased with their lack of secrecy about releases that never came to be.
Good point, but to narrow it down to a quarter rather than a year is surely possible? I only say this because I am desperate and excited to use the combined capabilities. I suggest it is all about expectation management and no news, in this case, is not necessarily good news.
Good point, but to narrow it down to a quarter rather than a year is surely possible? I only say this because I am desperate and excited to use the combined capabilities. I suggest it is all about expectation management and no news, in this case, is not necessarily good news.

Actually, no news usually means good news. Because Sonos is notoriously silent about beta testing, we tend to joke that you can tell something is coming when nothing is being said, or when Sonos reps are being particularly vague.
I live in hope
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
No news is good news is like saying Brexit is Brexit .... nonsensical!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
In any event, if the Sonos integration depends on the intents library then the release will only apply to US, unless Amazon get their act together and integrate the library into the UK/DE versions of Alexa.

What the . . . ? No news is good news because a long documented history sees Sonos become extremely quiet and non-descript during the period close to a public beta release. Not nonsensical in the least, and what on God's green Earth it has to do with Brexit, I imagine that is up for the shrinks to decide. :8
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

What the . . . ? No news is good news because a long documented history sees Sonos become extremely quiet and non-descript during the period close to a public beta release. Not nonsensical in the least, and what on God's green Earth it has to do with Brexit, I imagine that is up for the shrinks to decide. :8

I agree ... I'm sick to the back teeth of the 'void' which Brexit has become (as it it affects me personally), so maybe that comparison was coloured by my current state of mind. I guess the best that can be said of the Sonos silence is that it avoids a charge of 'fake news'.

Any thoughts on the intents library issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why so secretive, surely it should be something shout about. Wouldn't Sonos want to stop current customers going out and purchasing competitive products if there is no news available?

I'm not exactly sure what competitive products customers are going to run out and get. Apple has announced a product to come out in November, so that's not it. Of course there are other whole house music systems out there, but I'm not aware that they any of them integrate with a voice assistant in a meaningful way.

I would say guess that the average customer may be more aware of what Apple and others are doing in this 'space', but Sonos has always been more quite on the marketing front. As well, I would guess that Amazon is in a much better position to market the integration when it comes out. Or perhaps Amazon doesn't really want much word on the integration till it comes out as well. In some ways, Amazon has a similar marketing strategy in that when it comes to Alexa/Echo, I don't think Amazon has ever announced a new product or feature without also announcing a firm release date.