Answered

Sonos Amp: HDMI arc vs. optical to analog line in for TV connection

I am new to Sonos. I recently had 3 of the new Sonos Amps installed to power multiple wired speakers. One of the amps is used to power a pair of PSB bookshelf speakers that are used for music and as front left and rights for audio coming from my tv (LG C8 Oled). Note, I do not have surround sound - only stereo sound out of TV. The other components I use are a Roku and Tivo (OTA Bolt). For some reason when the dealer installed the Sonos, I believe they connected the Roku and Tivo to the 2 HDMI arc ports on the TV, so they didn't have an available HDMI arc port to hook to amp. They then connected the TV to one of the Sonos Amps via the optical out on the TV and into the Analog line in on the amp (wire supposedly has converter for optical to analog). I'm not sure why they did it this way, but I think it was due to a multiple day install and I think they read an owner's manual incorrectly and had already fished the optical line through the walls. It seems to me the other option would have been to connect the TV to the Amp via HDMI arc, and use regular HDMI inputs on TV for Roku and Tivo. I'm trying to decide if there is some reason I should have them change the wiring because it is somewhat of a hassle since I'm in an older house and the wires have to be fished through old cabinetry, etc. Also, my remotes for both Tivo and Roku appear to be controlling the volume on the amp fine via an IR repeater I have (amps in cabinet). Is there some practical reason (sound quality even if in stereo, benefits from amp, etc.) that I should want the TV audio to be pushed via HDMI arc, rather than optical/analog connection? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Chris 9 January 2019, 21:42

Yes they totally messed that up.

You want the audio hooked up via the HDMI arc - not via an optical to an optical to analog converter.

It may be the installer had never done one of the new Sonos Amps. As the way they did it is how you would have had to do it with the old Connect:Amps. They haven't adjusted their practices to the new Sonos Amp version. May be time for you to educate them in this

going via HDMI will give you better lip sync (the way they have it your getting a delay because of the analog/digital Sonos conversion and the audio is actually behind the video).

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes they totally messed that up.

You want the audio hooked up via the HDMI arc - not via an optical to an optical to analog converter.

It may be the installer had never done one of the new Sonos Amps. As the way they did it is how you would have had to do it with the old Connect:Amps. They haven't adjusted their practices to the new Sonos Amp version. May be time for you to educate them in this

going via HDMI will give you better lip sync (the way they have it your getting a delay because of the analog/digital Sonos conversion and the audio is actually behind the video).
Chris - Thanks for the reply. Also want to confirm that I will still get good stereo sound from HDMI Arc, correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You will get better then stereo you should get Dolby 5.1 which in your case it will simulate

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings