Sonos Alarm New behavior--Boo!

Userlevel 2
I have an alarm set for 5:30am M-F. This Sunday I want to set a one time alarm. In the past, I could turn my M-F alarm to OFF and create a new one time alarm. But in trying to do it for tomorrow, suddenly I get a message that I already have an alarm on this zone for this day (duh!) and I can't save the new alarm.

Who decided on this new behavior? Not liked! Please take it away and go back to how it was before. If I turn an alarm to OFF, then NO, there is no existing alarm!!!! And anyway, an alarm set for M-F, whether on or off, is NOT an alarm for Sunday and is NOT a conflict!

Where do I report this?

27 replies

Badge
I have an alarm set for 5:30am M-F. This Sunday I want to set a one time alarm. In the past, I could turn my M-F alarm to OFF and create a new one time alarm. But in trying to do it for tomorrow, suddenly I get a message that I already have an alarm on this zone for this day (duh!) and I can't save the new alarm.

Who decided on this new behavior? Not liked! Please take it away and go back to how it was before. If I turn an alarm to OFF, then NO, there is no existing alarm!!!! And anyway, an alarm set for M-F, whether on or off, is NOT an alarm for Sunday and is NOT a conflict!

Where do I report this?

You also can't set a once only alarm to the same time as another daily alarm in the same room..
Userlevel 2
Cecilia,

I've just mimicked what you are trying to do in my system (Software version 4.2) and had no problems whatever.

Just to be sure that I have done what you are seeking to do:

I have a composite alarm for M-S 0757 and have just added an alarm for today (Sun) @ 1030 GMT in the same zone as the M-S series(master bedroom). There were no warnings when I established this new alarm.

The system started up fine @ 1030.

Fraser
Me too. I can't replicate either of those behaviours.

I've just tried setting a range of alarms, consecutive and overlapping on the same day, same zone. No problems or error messages.

What controller were you using. Just wondering if it's controller specific?
Cecilia's actually onto something here.

If you try to set a Once Only alarm and there is already an alarm in the same room at that time on any other day then it fails. Sonos doesn't check whether the Once Only time fits in with the selected days for the other alarm.

Pick a different time for the Once Only, or specify a day of the week, and it's happy.

I'll wager that this isn't new behaviour, since it's not the kind of thing one would stumble over routinely.
Ah - I tried all sorts of combinations of alarms but hadn't picked up on the "once only" aspect, so didn't try that. 😮
Userlevel 2
I've looked into this further.

It seems that the conflict occurs if the 'once only' time is exactly the same as that of the regular switch-ons.

The clue is in the literal interpretation of the error message. It says "...at the specified time". Not date - time.

Returning to the example in my first post, if I set the 'once only' alarm to 0757, I am barred from setting it. If I set it to 0756 or 0758, there is no problem. Later or earlier times, similarly, generate no conflict.

Fraser
Userlevel 2
Cecilia's actually onto something here.

If you try to set a Once Only alarm and there is already an alarm in the same room at that time on any other day then it fails. Sonos doesn't check whether the Once Only time fits in with the selected days for the other alarm.

Pick a different time for the Once Only, or specify a day of the week, and it's happy.

I'll wager that this isn't new behaviour, since it's not the kind of thing one would stumble over routinely.

Ratty, I've been doing this for close to 10 years. I swear to you, it is absolutely BRAND new behavior. I travel a lot (ok, used to; less frequently now) and on the Sunday before I travel I have always done a one time only alarm for the same time as my regular alarm.

Plus, it was really strange to get that "pop up" on my CR100...rarely are there popups on my CR100 lol
Ratty, I've been doing this for close to 10 years. I swear to you, it is absolutely BRAND new behavior. I travel a lot (ok, used to; less frequently now) and on the Sunday before I travel I have always done a one time only alarm for the same time as my regular alarm.
I stand corrected then.

To your original query:
Where do I report this?
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask

The obvious temporary solution is to set the Once Only alarm a minute earlier (or later) than the regular alarm.
Badge

Plus, it was really strange to get that "pop up" on my CR100...rarely are there popups on my CR100 lol

It's not new behaviour - I reported it on 18/6/2012
Badge
Ah - I tried all sorts of combinations of alarms but hadn't picked up on the "once only" aspect, so didn't try that. :o

I've also had alarms fail on me recently (probably after the 4.2 update but can't be sure).

I've tried several things, including a once only alarm, but nothing works. Next test for me is to try playing a file rather than the radio to see what happens. The radio station works fine when accessed through the radio menu so it can't be an access issue.

Am going to call support tomorrow if I can't resolve this - shame as it has been working great for many years and I've not changed anything other than the update.

Will report back as I find out more.

- AV Spyder
Badge
I've also had alarms fail on me recently (probably after the 4.2 update but can't be sure).

I've tried several things, including a once only alarm, but nothing works. Next test for me is to try playing a file rather than the radio to see what happens. The radio station works fine when accessed through the radio menu so it can't be an access issue.

Am going to call support tomorrow if I can't resolve this - shame as it has been working great for many years and I've not changed anything other than the update.

- AV Spyder

I'm 95% sure that we've also had an alarm fail recently. It's set for the same time in three different rooms and I find it hard to believe that we all overslept.

I've also had the alarm fail twice when my bedroom Playbar mysteriously dropped off the network over night 😞
I'm 95% sure that we've also had an alarm fail recently. It's set for the same time in three different rooms and I find it hard to believe that we all overslept.

I've also had the alarm fail twice when my bedroom Playbar mysteriously dropped off the network over night :(

The network and alarm failures could be connected. Some evidence ought to appear in the Player logs, so it would be checking (yourself or Sonos Support).
Badge
The network and alarm failures could be connected. Some evidence ought to appear in the Player logs, so it would be checking (yourself or Sonos Support).

It's definitely related ratty 😉 When a player drops off the network any alarms set for that player fail.

I'm on the hardware and software beta program and Sonos have looked at it and said it was down to interference. That's fine, but it doesn't address the fact that IF a player goes online whilst you're asleep you won't know about it until you wake up.. LATE!

I don't rely on the alarm function anymore..
It's definitely related ratty 😉 When a player drops off the network any alarms set for that player fail.
Well, yes.

There could however be some wider network dependency. I've occasionally seen alarm-related errors in the logs of Players which didn't actually have alarms set for themselves.
Badge
Well, yes.

There could however be some wider network dependency. I've occasionally seen alarm-related errors in the logs of Players which didn't actually have alarms set for themselves.

What do you suggest? I sent Sonos two diagnostics.

I still think there should be some sort of fail-safe system built it to the alarm function to avoid this..
Badge

I still think there should be some sort of fail-safe system built it to the alarm function to avoid this..

I don't want to drag this thread off topic as it's a valid bug

Sonos are the people to comment, and it sounds like they already have, to a degree. The fail-safe is of course supposed to be the Chime....
Userlevel 2
I noticed that my alarm doesn't work occasionly after update 4.2
Controller (Samsung Note 2) shows that the alarm is activated but my playbar doesn't make any noise and my controller can't find any of my Sonos divices. Playbar is wired to my network. I've to turn of te power to get it working again. My dealer has switched my router and Playbar but this didn't do the trick. I changed the channel from the Sonos to one that is different to my network en changed the router to 20 Mhz. No result. I've been in touch with Sonos support in The Netherlands but they couldn't help due to the fact that the log was empty.
I noticed that my alarm doesn't work occasionly after update 4.2
Controller (Samsung Note 2) shows that the alarm is activated but my playbar doesn't make any noise and my controller can't find any of my Sonos divices. Playbar is wired to my network. I've to turn of te power to get it working again. My dealer has switched my router and Playbar but this didn't do the trick. I changed the channel from the Sonos to one that is different to my network en changed the router to 20 Mhz. No result. I've been in touch with Sonos support in The Netherlands but they couldn't help due to the fact that the log was empty.

Standard questions, but:
- has every device on your network been restarted since the router swap?
- is the Sonos channel separated by at least 5 channel-numbers from the WiFi?
Userlevel 2
Yes everything has been powered of. My network is on channel 1, Sonos on 11.
Badge
The fail-safe is of course supposed to be the Chime....
That's fine if your internet goes down, but not if the player drops off the Sonos network.
Badge
I've also had alarms fail on me recently
-Snip-

My alarms are working again after getting help from Sonos support (great experience, very helpful and friendly BTW).

Looks like the problem wasn't the upgrade itself (my thought based on the fix), but something related to either how the sonos rebooted after the upgrade or when I had a power cut and the only wired sonos was no longer the "main" sonos. Anyway, after getting this fixed by ensuring the wired sonos was enabled as the first sonos device ("FirstZP"), deleting all the alarms and redoing them, everything is back to normal.

As a bonus, sonus support also checked out the wireless performance of the system and by suggesting that I move the wired ZP a short distance away from the wireless router, improved the signal to some of the other ZPs.

Hope this helps others who may have alarm problems after an upgrade, power cut or rebooting the ZPs.

- AV Spyder
Looks like the problem wasn't the upgrade itself (my thought based on the fix), but something related to either how the sonos rebooted after the upgrade or when I had a power cut and the only wired sonos was no longer the "main" sonos. Anyway, after getting this fixed by ensuring the wired sonos was enabled as the first sonos device ("FirstZP"), deleting all the alarms and redoing them, everything is back to normal.
Out of interest, in the wake of the power cut did you ever factory reset any component? That's the obvious way that the 'root' (or "main" as you put it) unit might change. Upgrades or simply power-cycling the devices should never affect the identity of the 'root'.
Badge
Out of interest, in the wake of the power cut did you ever factory reset any component? That's the obvious way that the 'root' (or "main" as you put it) unit might change. Upgrades or simply power-cycling the devices should never affect the identity of the 'root'.

No, I didn't factory reset any components. The power cut only impacted the 'root' ZP, others were still powered up but lost network connectivity since they are only on the sonos wireless network.

I had another power cut over the weekend and this morning the alarm didn't go off, so there is definitely a link here. This didn't happen on the previous firmware (the power cuts are fairly regular - it's actually the MCB tripping in one room). I've not had the alarms fail before (worst case, the chime would go off if there was no network connectivity).

Perhaps there is a change in the firmware on how the power cut impacts the ZP? I'm in 2 minds - phone sonos support so that they can check the diagnostic to get to the bottom of this or just follow the same procedure as they suggested to see if I can get the alarms working again.

I think the issue is actually with the system clock. The power cut appears to cause the date and time to not be set when the 'root' ZP Is powered up again (even though it is supposed to set it from the internet).

Toggling off/on the "set time from Internet" setting still doesn't set the time (from an iPad or iPhone). Also tried from a cr200 controller and the time still didn't set. Eventually got it to set but alarms still not working.

- AV Spyder
Are your controllers actually showing a wildly incorrect time then? The time servers used are evidently
code:
0.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
1.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
2.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
3.sonostime.pool.ntp.org

See if you can ping them.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings