Sonos Account: No way!

Userlevel 1
Hello,
as a long time customer from Germany with 7 components and many recommendations to friends and family I want to inform you, that I will not create an Sonsos account. I read some postings here and in the press and I'm sad, that your company changes in a way Facebook does all time long. If you will castrate a long time running system only to force users to send you personal data, then I will abandon Sonsos, go to court in Germany (I want my money back, all!) and will take another system. Why don't you keep in mind: Never change a runnig system (a working business model)? I will never understand why people in business always exaggerate till the deadly end! (sorry for my poor english, but I'm realy angry)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

159 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No. Long time Sonos customer. Never a requirement to register until today. Only the most recent update has forced this. Plus it rejects all known "burner" email account sites. :-(

I agree completely with the original poster.

Hey if you're happy having a "relationship" with a corporation go ahead. But Sonos is retroactively changing the terms of the agreement in the original sale transaction. And for some people (including me) that is simple wrong.

I can't speak for a decade ago, as my first speaker was purchased in 2012... but I know that 6 years ago, I had to register for a Sonos account as part of my first-time system setup. This account enabled Sonos to present to me only the music services available in my region of the world, as well as facilitated registration of new devices as they were added to my system. I will admit that at that time, when I added additional speakers to my system, I was not required to login each time, as one is required to do now... but Sonos' back-end systems have changed over time and now each speaker requires a token for your account to enable the various cloud functions that are now available, thus requiring the login when you add a new speaker. And with version 9.0 of Sonos' software, they are making sure that all speakers have these account tokens (if they didn't already) by requiring a login to perform the update.

But your Sonos speaker is still a speaker... it still plays music... it still plays from a local music library, and is still completely functional in playing from a local music library AFTER the [new] setup procedure has been completed, even if your Sonos devices maintain no further internet connectivity after that setup procedure.
I find it very useful because ALL my support ticket email conversations from day 1 back in 2011 are accessible there and are often useful for troubleshooting when needed.

Digressing a little:
By an unfortunate coincidence, I had to invoke Sonos Support today and while doing so, I was not able to see the above referred data base/history of my past tickets. Am I doing something wrong or has Sonos withdrawn this useful feature?
PS: I have opened a new thread for this, so please ignore this post.
Userlevel 3
No. Long time Sonos customer. Never a requirement to register until today. [...]
You probably forgot, that's all.
No. Long time Sonos customer. Never a requirement to register until today. [...]
You probably forgot, that's all.

I never registered my device either. I am now being asked to register before I can get anymore updates.

Sonos has not provided a satisfactory answer to how registering benefits _me_. Not sure where "seamless linking" comes into this. Unless Sonos has already been storing 3rd-party account information outside of the Sonos devices. If they are, then they they may well be already in violation GPDR. I know I never gave them permission to store my data in their systems.
I never registered my device either. I am now being asked to register before I can get anymore updates.
What does "Create Date" say?

That should settle a lot of arguments 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That should settle a lot of arguments :D

That will only work if they're using the same Sonos account on these forums that they used when they registered their first Sonos device.

And some people may not have registered their first Sonos device, they may have had an installer that registered it for them. Which is all the more reason to be wanting to do this, so you control your own Sonos devices, instead of someone else.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I’ve had Sonos since 2010, an email address was part of the process back then.

If having my system registered means I get great aftercare then that’s fine by me.

As more and more ‘stuff’ relies on the ability for them to communicate with each other over the internet, anything that makes this straight forward is fine by me.

Sonos has always been marketed as an Internet connected device, I really don’t see what’s changed from 2010, apart from voice integration, which you don’t have to enable.
I'm realy angry

I hear you. The greed drives Sonos management to try and jump on the "sell customer data for big bucks" bandwagon.

Vote with your feet. There's plenty of hi-end music players around, many of them have already overtaken Sonos in terms of quality and usability. No reason to settle with those who have lost touch with their customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm realy angry
I hear you. The greed drives Sonos management to try and jump on the "sell customer data for big bucks" bandwagon.

Yet another person who hasn't read Sonos' privacy policy, which clearly states they will not sell your data in the first paragraph. Plain and simple to read... they aren't making money from your data. It's more likely that the music service(s) that you listen to through your Sonos system are selling your data than Sonos is, because Sonos isn't.
@Mike, Never mind him/her.

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/latest-update-requires-a-sonos-account-please-knock-it-off-6809518/index1.html#post16254274
Sonos' privacy policy, which clearly states they will not sell your data in the first paragraph.

Yeah, cause it really matters what they say in their "privacy policy". Just ask Mark Zukerberg to confirm.

Yeah, cause it really matters what they say in their "privacy policy". Just ask Mark Zukerberg to confirm.

You mean Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook? Facebook, which is being investigated by the FTC for violating their own Privacy Policy and may be liable for a theoretical fine of over a trillion dollars? That Facebook?

Seems like your example of a company ignoring what they promise in their Privacy Policy is not really helping your point.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

You mean Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook? Facebook, which is being investigated by the FTC for violating their own Privacy Policy and may be liable for a theoretical fine of over a trillion dollars? That Facebook?

Seems like your example of a company ignoring what they promise in their Privacy Policy is not really helping your point.

Yes I think they mean the facebook that leaked millions and millions of user data to third parties to exploit. Yes that one that didn't give a flying took about any fines or FTC. The one with the privacy policy that wilk likely actually allow them to escape fines. Seems your Facebook example isn't really helping whatever point it is you are trying to make.
Yeah, we shall see.

Yes I think they mean the facebook that leaked millions and millions of user data to third parties to exploit. Yes that one that didn't give a flying took about any fines or FTC. The one with the privacy policy that wilk likely actually allow them to escape fines. Seems your Facebook example isn't really helping whatever point it is you are trying to make.

Yes and no. Facebook, Google, etc can afford to deal with the effects of breaking privacy policy. Armies of lawyers and lobbyists and customers absolutely dependent on them for social life, news, and self esteem in some cases. Sonos can't afford that.
Badge
I bought my first Sonos ZP80 around 2010. Even still have the little CR200 touchscreen controller. Then added a Play5. No account, mail yaddayadda required ever. Won't happen ever.
I use the system to play digital files from my local storage. No Alexa-Spotify-newest-gimmick-here needed.
From all I'm reading I now have to try and not update. Will stick to the PC controller app before version 9. Dropped the Android because it was get an account or else. If Sonos finds a ways to cripple my hardware unless I get an account, it'll be bye bye.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
And I know that Sonos doesn't sell any data generated by my system, LOL at the beginning Sonos was without account, without collecting data. Do you really believe they will not change this Data Privacy Policy, in case they could earn a dollar with the data ?
And I know that Sonos doesn't sell any data generated by my system, LOL at the beginning Sonos was without account, without collecting data. Do you really believe they will not change this Data Privacy Policy, in case they could earn a dollar with the data ?

If they change the policy, they become liable because they have stated this:

When it comes to using your information, our principles are simple. We will be transparent about what data we’re collecting and why. We will protect your data as though it is sacred. And we will not sell your data. We’ve never sold it before, and we won’t sell it in the future.

https://blog.sonos.com/en/sonos-privacy/

In the US, statements such as these fall under the auspices of the FTC, and are enforced by that agency. Companies have been fined millions of dollars for unfair or deceptive practices in regards to customer data.

Sonos can't afford to break their own privacy policy. The loss in customers, the lawsuits, and probably drop in stock would surely not be worth the dollar for data. Google and Facebook and such are different cases, as customers are absolutely dependent on them, they have tons of lawyers, and there data is surely worth a lot more than Sonos data.

Would Sonos ever change their privacy policy? Maybe. But that would prevent a lawsuit only. It wouldn't stop a loss in customers and drop in stock. Still not worth the dollar.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
They already have changed a data privacy as they introduced their account for Sonos - which is their try to connect more data. It is a big laugh when they say: " ... to prevent to login in your system ... " as they would be able to do so in the apps instead of an account. No, I believe , that they want to collect more data and they already have announced that as in EU after May they have to do so ( otherwise they have to pay x% of their revenues ). So I still hope that somebody finds a hack to patch the software to get rid of that part. At the end it is a simple Linux system on the speaker ...
So I still hope that somebody finds a hack to patch the software to get rid of that part.
A preposterous suggestion. If that were possible everyone would have a whole lot more to worry about than a few items of personal information which Sonos have sworn to protect. The entire system security would immediately be compromised.
They already have changed a data privacy as they introduced their account for Sonos - which is their try to connect more data.

Of course. I meant change In the future in a way that would allow them to sell data.

It is a big laugh when they say: " ... to prevent to login in your system ... " as they would be able to do so in the apps instead of an account.

The apps is a controller. There are numerous ways to access the speaker without using the apps. So app security wouldn't secure the speaker.

No, I believe , that they want to collect more data and they already have announced that as in EU after May they have to do so ( otherwise they have to pay x% of their revenues ).

Not familiar with EU policies. Sounds more like an issue with the EU than with Sonos, but again I know nothing about that.

So I still hope that somebody finds a hack to patch the software to get rid of that part. At the end it is a simple Linux system on the speaker ...

So you don't trust Sonos, but you do trust a hack? What kind of privacy policy protects you once you've hacked your own Speakers?
They already have changed a data privacy as they introduced their account for Sonos - which is their try to connect more data. It is a big laugh when they say: " ... to prevent to login in your system ... " as they would be able to do so in the apps instead of an account. No, I believe , that they want to collect more data and they already have announced that as in EU after May they have to do so ( otherwise they have to pay x% of their revenues ). So I still hope that somebody finds a hack to patch the software to get rid of that part. At the end it is a simple Linux system on the speaker ...

There has always been an account, you could not have set up Sonos without one, and the changes to the Privacy Policy were to include voice processing and update the data sharing to include voice/control partners. Nothing was changed about data collection or selling of data.

Read about it here:

https://blog.sonos.com/en/sonos-privacy/

Or view the Privacy Policy in its entirety here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

It is all there in black and white if you wish to read it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So I still hope that somebody finds a hack to patch the software to get rid of that part.
A preposterous suggestion. If that were possible everyone would have a whole lot more to worry about than a few items of personal information which Sonos have sworn to protect. The entire system security would immediately be compromised.

LOL - Have you seen that they make callbacks to http://www.tencent.com and others in their source ? I just verified again - now the status page is a lot reduced - and again , that has nothing to do with the account. An account is not needed to make the speakers safe !
It is just their business model now to collect more data ... and I just wanted good speakers - nothing more. Sorry Sonos is no longer a company that I would support. My customer satisfaction is clearly now really down as they change the rules after sales.
Have you seen that they make callbacks to http://www.tencent.com and others in their source ?
To imagine that you would have access to Sonos source code is surely to descend into the world of fantasy.