Sonos Account: No way!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

159 replies

I understand that the communication will be easier in case of a failure. But you don't need to collect the data during normal operations and send them to Sonos - it could be collected on the speakers and send in case when I want to do so.

As I have said a thousand times, it is done via a voluntary diagnostic that you choose to send to Sonos. But it is still data collection, which is why they list it.

And as stated , the Sonos Service has not given that option as an official statement - I will try that tomorrow

They haven't? Hmmm, let's see:

From the Privacy Policy (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy#using-products):

Additional Usage Data:

In order to improve your experience with Sonos Products and to offer better Products and Services that meet the needs and expectations of our customers, we collect the following additional usage data (“Additional Usage Data”). You can opt out of sharing this data by following the steps listed here.

Bold added by me. Additional Usage data is defined as:

Performance Information. This includes things like temperature of your Product, Wi-Fi information such as signal strength, what music services you have connected to your Sonos system (including, for some services, your login username – but not password – for such service), information about how often you use the Sonos app versus another control mechanism, flow of interactions within the Sonos app, how often you use the physical controls on the unit, and location data when the Sonos app is in use, and duration of Sonos Product use.

Activity Information. This includes duration of music service use, Product or room grouping information; command information such as play, pause, change volume, or skip tracks; information about track, playlist, or station container data; and Sonos playlist or Sonos favorites information; each correlated to individual Sonos Products.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
BTW: Interesting is that the speakers currently running and the controller is not connected to a Sonos account. The App is stating that I could login, but even the account data is not shown in the app. So looks like the Sonos Account is not really needed for replay the music from a server 🙂 ( Maybe a bug )
BTW: Interesting is that the speakers currently running and the controller is not connected to a Sonos account. The App is stating that I could login, but even the account data is not shown in the app. So looks like the Sonos Account is not really needed for replay the music from a server 🙂 ( Maybe a bug )

Check Settings > Account Settings on the Sonos app. If there is an account there, then you are registered to an account whether you know it or not.

Now I've wasted far too much time on this nonsense, correcting far too many assumptions and misleading accusations from you. Time to help someone who A) Actually needs it and 😎 Actually appreciates it. Good day to you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The account isn't stored on your phone app, it's stored (along with all your music service accounts) on the devices themselves.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Check Settings > Account Settings on the Sonos app. If there is an account there, then you are registered to an account whether you know it or not.

Ok, on my phone the account is still there, but I am currently using my pad to control the Sonos system and there is no account on that system. So would be interesting to delete the app on the phone if then the system will continue to run...

Ok, on my phone the account is still there, but I am currently using my pad to control the Sonos system and there is no account on that system. So would be interesting to delete the app on the phone if then the system will continue to run...

Good grief! :8

The account information isn't stored on the app, it is stored on the Sonos devices!!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ah, when I sell the devices, the account is then moved with them to the buyer ? Is there a procedure how I ensure that that my data is not moved together with the devices ?
Ah, when I sell the devices, the account is then moved with them to the buyer ? Is there a procedure how I ensure that that my data is not moved together with the devices ?

I will tell you, but you have to promise you are actually selling your Sonos and will be gone for good. 😛
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am not sure if I get a good prices for all this , after now uncovered all this now. Do you want them ?
I am not sure if I get a good prices for all this , after now uncovered all this now. Do you want them ?

Knew this was a work. Hope you had fun while it lasted.
Do you want them ?
Could you guarantee they'd be free of all traces of DNA?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Do you want them ?
Could you guarantee they'd be free of all traces of DNA?

Sure , but shipping is not included - so guarantee ends, when I had it over to postal office ....
Badge

Funny, you are totally lying about the authentication that the other guy is asking for. Shame on you.

Uhh, no I'm not. ... And I see you are still snipping away at things which don't fit your narrative, huh? Tried that link to your data yet? What's the "Owner Since" entry say?

You may be mixing up people. It was someone else that snips overly long responses in their responses.

... I never had any other account linked to an email.

Try going to Settings > Account Settings. Use the account listed there.

I had to delete the app for obvious reasons - it was asking to register a mail with Sonos. The (pre version 9) PC controller and the CR200 show no account. I had the system long before there was an app. Let's see whether Sonos find a way to brick the CR200 like they did the 100..
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Let's see whether Sonos find a way to brick the CR200 like they did the 100..
I don't think - I had similar experiences in the past with iPad1: suddenly Sonos announced, that they no longer support Ios4 - which would have been ok as this is the cycle of development. But in additional , the controller that worked fine until that day was disabled by Sonos. So using the iPad1 as a controller was no longer possible.
I have never had that on former audio equipment - at least the old stuff worked.
Now, as they have released the new Play:1 with Spy's-on-board, I am pretty sure that they will obsolete soon the old Play:1 and tell us, the hardware is no longer supported.
That's maybe the reason why so many people try to sell their old Sonos equipment .... ( before it is just electronic junk)

You may be mixing up people. It was someone else that snips overly long responses in their responses.

Overly long? I've been accused of many things, but posting long missives is not one of them. Besides, one snipping was in the middle of sentences just because it didn't fit the narrative.

My apologies for mixing you up, though. After a while, you all seem alike to me.

... I never had any other account linked to an email.
I had to delete the app for obvious reasons - it was asking to register a mail with Sonos. The (pre version 9) PC controller and the CR200 show no account. I had the system long before there was an app. Let's see whether Sonos find a way to brick the CR200 like they did the 100..

Oh really? Be careful. There's already one poster in this thread who insisted the same, only to be wiping egg off their face.

So on the PC controller try Help > Account Settings. Be sure to post a screen shot! 😃
Never mind.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Oh really? Be careful. There's already one poster in this thread who insisted the same, only to be wiping egg off their face.

I know you are a fanboy of Sonos ( maybe also paid by Sonos ?) , but I still don't believe you. There was only a registration account needed, for warranty etc. But nothing about an account to get the system up and running. So I assume the egg is dripping off your face ...

I know you are a fanboy of Sonos ( maybe also paid by Sonos ?) , but I still don't believe you. There was only a registration account needed, for warranty etc. But nothing about an account to get the system up and running. So I assume the egg is dripping off your face ...

Call me what you wish, there was an account on your system. Which coincides with all the other people in this thread who stated they had to enter an e-mail account when they set up their Sonos. You and one other are the only ones claiming otherwise, despite the fact that the account information is actually on your system?

Yeah. Ok. :8

I tell you what. Go here:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/mydata/

Log in with the account info from you app. Post a screen shot of the "Owner Since" info. Here's mine:

Proof that at least as far back as 2008, you were required to have an account.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Look here - and I was able to get it up and running 😃
That's because you opted out of sharing data!!

But guess what? You logged in, so you DO have an account! :D

Now go here:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/products/

And tell us what the registration dates are on your equipment. :D

Here's my first 3:

*CRICKETS*
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Of course I now have an account, otherwise I would not be able to post anything.

But as you see , I never had an account before that days
All that shows is you re-registered them under another account.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So, how has that now proofed you saying you would need an account from the beginning ? I don't think that I needed an account when I bought the Play:5 and the Connect. I just needed one for registration of the devices .... But now we are looping again .

Clearly, Sonos stated that you nowadays need an a account and they will match the data together with that account. They also match 3rd party data with ash account if they like to do so. Or they will handle the data to government if asked to do so. Of course only in US and easy if the data belongs to somebody outside of US. BTW: One reason, why Microsoft has opened datacenter in EU to full-fill the rights of EU citizen ( and block the data outside of EU )
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Please remember to keep things polite, everyone. This topic has a tendency to get heated and I want to remind everyone that there's no need to make the thread unwelcoming to anyone.

It's been stated before, but I'd like to re-iterate for anyone new to the conversation that Sonos players have always required a registration step as part of the set up process. Anonymous email accounts or even fake ones would have worked previously because the field just needed to be filled in with something that looked like an email, but that step did always exist in order to get music services and updates. The change recently is that we've added a step requiring systems to be linked with an email verified, password protected account. This protects your Sonos account, data, and system as a precautionary measure.

We first implemented this account linking to facilitate seamless integration with cloud services like Amazon Alexa, Spotify, and Deezer. A Sonos account gives you complete access to the full Sonos experience and another layer of protection for your system. Since then, we made it mandatory for all systems.

I know there are some questions about privacy, and I'd encourage you to take a look at our privacy policy if you haven't yet. We're clear about what data is collected, and how to opt out of what you can. If you still have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call.