Sonos Account: No way!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

159 replies

If they call tencent it is because Tencent Holdings Limited owns QQ Music, one of Sonos' Music Partners in China. Take off the tin-foil beanie.

Also, what ratty said.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Have you seen that they make callbacks to http://www.tencent.com and others in their source ?
To imagine that you would have access to Sonos source code is surely to descend into the world of fantasy.

I would not see that: other companies are doing very well with Opensource software - if the software is open, everybody could verify what the softwqaare will do. The data like temperature etc that Sonos is collecting is really not needed - maybe they want to create a new weather channel. Anyhow, for the time being , I will blacklist the sono server to prevent this type of data collection. Maybe, when I have more time , I will enable the ssh access and re-configure the Sonos software on the speakers to use no account
Maybe, when I have more time , I will enable the ssh access and re-configure the Sonos software on the speakers to use no account
You clearly have scant idea of the security Sonos employs to prevent unauthorised console access.

I would not see that: other companies are doing very well with Opensource software - if the software is open, everybody could verify what the softwqaare will do. The data like temperature etc that Sonos is collecting is really not needed - maybe they want to create a new weather channel.

That is the temperature of the device, not the room or outside temp. (Good grief, I can't believe I have to explain that :8)

Data like that is collected when you voluntarily submit a diagnostic, and is most certainly necessary if you wish Sonos to fulfill their commitment to support their devices. For instance, a Connect:Amp can go into fault mode due to a short or overheating. Wouldn't you want Sonos to know it was the latter rather than the former, so you wouldn't need to rewire your entire system to find a short?

Anyhow, for the time being. Maybe, when I have more time , I will enable the ssh access and re-configure the Sonos software on the speakers to use no account

Yeah, good luck with that. Let us know how it goes. :8
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Or views the Privacy Policy in its entirety here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

It is all there in black and white if you wish to read it.

You know: Sonos sells their product also here in EU. So I don't care about US legal privacy. I want that they stat the EU privacy rules ... and they do and have stated how many data they are collecting, which has nothing to do with a "speaker"
That is a reason, why I want to return the products and get my money back.
Sonos has changed the rules post sales - it is like changing the rules in the middle of a game - who would like to participate such a game ?
I also don't need all the Alexis , Siris etc. they anyhow have much difficulties to understand German - so I don't want this type of SW on my products at home. Just give me back my SW that was former on the speakers without an account or take back the products and give me my money back ...
Once again, YOU HAVE ALWAYS HAD A SONOS ACCOUNT!!!!! You could not set up Sonos without one!!

And please! Please! Please! Return the product. Buy a radio. Or better yet, two tin cans and a string. 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Maybe, when I have more time , I will enable the ssh access and re-configure the Sonos software on the speakers to use no account
You clearly have scant idea of the security Sonos employs to prevent unauthorised console access.

I had room camera from Withings that also has had an undocumented SSH port - now Withings no longer exists ( bought by Nokia) as somebody hacked their camera and the " we have the best secured server" where they forced their customers to connect the camera ( it was not stated outside on the packaging, that the camera needed an internet connection and the baby pictures would all be uploaded to a server ... )
So the camera is a pice of crab, the company no longer exists and I clearly hope , if Sonos is not listening to they customers, that they also go under Chp11 - when a company things , they could afterwards change their products like they want to their own interest, its fair that this company will no longer be on the market. I really like this force of the market ...

I had room camera from Withings that also has had an undocumented SSH port

... which is completely irrelevant.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Once again, YOU HAVE ALWAYS HAD A SONOS ACCOUNT!!!!! You could not set up Sonos without one!!

And please! Please! Please! Return the product. Buy a radio. Or better yet, two tin cans and a string. ;)

No, I was able to setup the products without an account. And it is stated, that there will be a day, when it might not work without an account. Now I am forced ... and yes, I would like to give the speakers back BUT I have not received an offer from Sonos to get my money back ... so I still hope that offer will be provided
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had room camera from Withings that also has had an undocumented SSH port

... which is completely irrelevant.

Maybe for Sonos, it is just an example that some people think they could do it much better and at the end they fail. And it is not needed: data could be read out, in case I have a trouble and I connect to Sonos. Not their speakers connect every time to them ... hey, why ?

No, I was able to setup the products without an account. And it is stated, that there will be a day, when it might not work without an account. Now I am forced ... and yes, I would like to give the speakers back BUT I have not received an offer from Sonos to get my money back ... so I still hope that offer will be provided

No. No you weren't. Your Sonos cannot function without an account. Now maybe an installer created it for you, but there was an account set up.

PS - If you do not have a Sonos account, how are you even posting here? :?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No. No you weren't. Your Sonos cannot function without an account. Now maybe an installer created it for you, but there was an account set up.

In the past they have functioned without asking me for that account. Now they want this account. And this account is a different account to post it .

Anyhow, I would be happy to give all Sonos equipment back to Sonos, when they give me the money back as I am dissatisfied about their changes ....

In the past they have functioned without asking me for that account. Now they want this account. And this account is a different account to post it .

Anyhow, I would be happy to give all Sonos equipment back to Sonos, when they give me the money back as I am dissatisfied about their changes ....

See, so you did have an account, and they are now asking you to authenticate your account FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION!!!!! So much for "I was able to setup the products without an account".

Sell it on e-Bay. You aren't going to get your money back if it is outside the 45 day return policy.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

See, so you did have an account, and they are now asking you to authenticate your account FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION!!!!!

Sell it on e-Bay. You aren't going to get your money back if it is outside the 45 day return policy.

It is a total different story if I have one account for a community to ask questions or one that is used by a system to authenticate.

When I sell them on eBay, I will not get enough money back and will make a loss - why shall I do this when Sonos has just made them unusable for me. And BTW: this thread was not started by me - you see that other customers are also unhappy. Do you want to buy them for the new price ? With that data privacy and connection requests not printed on the packaging ?

When I sell them on eBay, I will not get enough money back and will make a loss - why shall I do this when Sonos has just made them unusable for me. And BTW: this thread was not started by me - you see that other customers are also unhappy. Do you want to buy them for the new price ? With that data privacy and connection requests not printed on the packaging ?

I'm done arguing, except to say you could not be more wrong about the situation. Do some research.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I'm done arguing, except to say you could not be more wrong about the situation. Do some research.

Haha, when it comes to the ground to take the speakers back you are also not willing to pay for them ...
There is no matter of argument when a customer is not happy with the changed position of a company. Clearly Sonos try to change as nowadays a lot of other computers are on the market - now also Apple with their "homepott" and again a SIri connection that doesn't work well in Germany)

So I still hope that Sonos will offer to take my equipment back and I really can't recommend Sonos any longer ( sound is still good, but the SW ... it's a shame)
Badge
... Once again, YOU HAVE ALWAYS HAD A SONOS ACCOUNT!!!!! You could not set up Sonos without one!!
And please! Please! Please! Return the product. Buy a radio. Or better yet, two tin cans and a string.

... Your Sonos cannot function without an account. Now maybe an installer created it for you, but there was an account set up.

To post here, no Sonos account is required, any burner mail will do to register.

Are your other arguments as "well informed" as this one? Just by repeating them in all caps all over this forum they won't become more true.

Sonos seems to have smelled the money that comes from data harvesting. I have no time to read and then try and trust the fine print in their privacy policy. Time to find another media streamer.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
A burner account still counts as registration. So an account was required.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
As a victim of a home robbery, I appreciate the value of registering my electronics with an account. My registration of my devices was instrumental in catching the baddies.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
As a victim of a home robbery, I appreciate the value of registering my electronics with an account. My registration of my devices was instrumental in catching the baddies.
Sure I understand that for the first time use and maybe often also you get a warranty extension for that account. But it is different when I want to use a speaker system, that this speaker system wants an account. In the past I was often laughing, when people needed to boot there desktop calculator instead of just turn it on.
So I don't like the way in which Sonos is developing their Software and I only ask them to take back their stuff and give me the money back OR give me the old SW ( at least it is my decision )
And they also clearly state in there Licence that you have to make all true answers. So a fake-account is not the solution as it breaks the licence.
Badge
PS - If you do not have a Sonos account, how are you even posting here?
A burner account still counts as registration. So an account was required.

To post in this forum, you can just register with a burner mail, without ever having bought a single Sonos system.

A Sonos forum account is not the same as the account Sonos established to track their hardware customers.

Why jgatie and others keep trying to make the point that this is a "normal thing" and point to the forum account to make it sound normal is beyond me.

The Sonos HW registration is about data harvesting, and I want no part of that. I am extremely disappointed and concerned that HW I bought almost 10 years ago is now being used to pressure me into letting them track me personally.
You can opt out of "data harvesting", which will limit Sonos to "harvesting" only that which is necessary to operate and/or diagnose your system. This will prevent them from collecting the following:

Performance Information. This includes things like temperature of your Product, Wi-Fi information such as signal strength, what music services you have connected to your Sonos system (including, for some services, your login username – but not password – for such service), information about how often you use the Sonos app versus another control mechanism, flow of interactions within the Sonos app, how often you use the physical controls on the unit, and location data when the Sonos app is in use, and duration of Sonos Product use.

Activity Information. This includes duration of music service use, Product or room grouping information; command information such as play, pause, change volume, or skip tracks; information about track, playlist, or station container data; and Sonos playlist or Sonos favorites information; each correlated to individual Sonos Products.

If that is not sufficient enough to allay your fears, then there is always e-Bay.

And yes, this is a normal thing. Sonos has been doing this since day one, whether you knew it or not. You could not have set up your system without an account. The only reason this has come to light is they now require you to affirm your account information because of security issues they have set in place to protect you. So you can thank Sonos for alerting you to the fact you can now request a deletion of all data collected up to now, and prevent it from being collected in the future. Don't believe me? Go here and log into the account your system is registered to:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/mydata/
Badge
You can opt out of "data harvesting", which will limit Sonos to "harvesting" only that which is necessary to operate and/or diagnose your system.
"Harvesting" - as in data harvesting. A company that constantly expands the personalization of the data it tracks looses customer trust. I bought a music streamer, and will not have it converted after the fact into a machine I need to log into. Not to mention that after not switching it on for 2 weeks there is now a guarantee to have to update the thing. And this last time with a "you require an account to use it".

If that is not sufficient enough to allay your fears, then there is always e-Bay.
Of course...
"looses"

It's always "looses".

I give up. :8
Badge
"looses"

It's always "looses".

I give up. :8

Good!

And if pointing out non-native speakers' spelling errors makes you feel good, I'll leave it as it is, so you're right at least once.