Sonos Account: No way!

Userlevel 1
Hello,
as a long time customer from Germany with 7 components and many recommendations to friends and family I want to inform you, that I will not create an Sonsos account. I read some postings here and in the press and I'm sad, that your company changes in a way Facebook does all time long. If you will castrate a long time running system only to force users to send you personal data, then I will abandon Sonsos, go to court in Germany (I want my money back, all!) and will take another system. Why don't you keep in mind: Never change a runnig system (a working business model)? I will never understand why people in business always exaggerate till the deadly end! (sorry for my poor english, but I'm realy angry)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

159 replies

Schlemiel,

When you take the matter to Court in Germany, everyone will know who you are, as Court records are 'public' documents... it would be easier to just provide pseudo credentials to Sonos and just carry on using your system. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

I too like to keep some of my personal details 'private' and there are often some simple answers to address such personal paranoia.
I want to inform you, that I will not create an Sonsos account.
Err... you already have, otherwise you'd not be able to post here. Besides, your system must be registered with Sonos anyway, in order to obtain software and online service availability updates.
Userlevel 1
Go and have a live in the forrest. If you own a phone or tablet you are known, why this problem with Sonos?
Go and have a live in the forrest. If you own a phone or tablet you are known, why this problem with Sonos?
I agree. Unless one lives off grid on a hill away from civilisation, not tethered to even the power supply network, it is impossible to retain full privacy today. Regrettable, but a fact of life today.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Deadset this has to be a troll. As others have said, the poster needed an account to post in here, not to mention to use almost any music services with Sonos, you need to create accounts with those music services as well.

The OP was probably just watching an Alex Jones video and got inspired.
Userlevel 1
@Ken_Griffiths: You are right. You can provide wrong information. But before cheating I try the official way and hit the company at the best place: money. If I can return all stuff to the producer getting my money I will choose another solution.
And because I'm a german with german history in mind, I know what could happing if private information falls in the hands of the wrong people. Some people are to young to understand, that knowing history will save their life in the future (not by companies, but by countries). But this does not only belong to SONOS alone, but most of the US IT companies. Everything is possible, what's not forbitten, is a horrific way of live. You should treat your customer, like you want to be treated elsewhere.
As someone that reads a lot of history from different times and places on the planet over the last 4000 years, and relates that to what is happening in many countries today - US, Middle East, EU, India - I see the same things happening again that happen every couple of hundred years and none of what will probably then repeat will be by misuse of personal information. Humans can quite easily shoot themselves in the foot without that bonus.
Userlevel 1
@Schlemiel: if I were you I should buy a phonograph from the money you don’t get back from Sonos. I insure you there will be no registration. Oh, don’t buy it from the internet, you never know.
I am 63 years old and I am happy to have an account with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Personally, I've accepted the fact that my information - ALL of it - is out there, for sale to whoever wants to pay for it. My intimate personal data has likely been compromised in at least two high profile hacks (OPM and Equifax), and I'm sure other less personal data about me is widely available from other compromises. So an account for my Sonos speakers doesn't bother me. I know there's more dangerous info about me already on the internet.

My Sonos account certainly doesn't contain anything that damaging to me, if Sonos' systems were to become compromised somehow. And I know that Sonos doesn't sell any data generated by my system, that's been clearly stated, right at the end of the first paragraph of the Sonos Privacy Policy...

We will protect your data as though it is sacred. And we do not and will not sell your data to third parties.
The requirement to sign into your Sonos account - and yes, you do already have a Sonos account, since you're posting here - stems from needing each speaker in your Sonos system properly linked to your Sonos account to enable features like Spotify Connect, Alexa, native app control for Pandora and others, and will likely be needed for Google Assistant and other services that might become available in the future.

So lose the tinfoil hat... it's not necessary. Sign into your Sonos account and be happy with your Sonos system.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your statement, I think you are right. Because I'm restricting my personell information as far as I can, I feel pretty save, even if some companies were hacked, e.g. I don't have an facebook account. And statements of companies ... I would not rely on this. You remember when Facebook bought Whatsapp? 🙂 As I heard that they will not combine data of both companies, bc. technically it's not possible - I laughed out loud. I'm a technican, I do it all day long. Maybe I should have offered my service? 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I understand your concern. Especially in the case of products like Facebook and Whatsapp. But I don't see the problem with sending data about your Sonos components and the music you're streaming. Most of the data send to Sonos is needed to make the product work. They are very clear about what data they collect and what they do with it. Peoples music taste isn't exactly sensitive data, is it ? They are GDPR compliant. What could be the problem then ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Of course, Sonos could very well change their privacy policy in the future, and sell your data to everyone... or they could be acquired and the new corporate overlords could sell it all... though with many Sonos music services requiring paid subscriptions to use Sonos with their service, resulting in ad-free listening through those services, I'm not sure how marketable much of the data they might have really is.

Obviously not everything is ad-free... TuneIn, iHeartRadio, AccuRadio, and others still have ads... but those services all have ways of knowing what you're listening to anyway, since you're going through their service. So I'm really not sure what data Sonos might have that the music services themselves don't already have... other than data on other music services.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Of course, Sonos could very well change their privacy policy in the future, and sell your data to everyone... or they could be acquired and the new corporate overlords could sell it all... though with many Sonos music services requiring paid subscriptions to use Sonos with their service, resulting in ad-free listening through those services, I'm not sure how marketable much of the data they might have really is.

Obviously not everything is ad-free... TuneIn, iHeartRadio, AccuRadio, and others still have ads... but those services all have ways of knowing what you're listening to anyway, since you're going through their service. So I'm really not sure what data Sonos might have that the music services themselves don't already have... other than data on other music services.

Thats the point. The data collected by Sonos is very valuable to them, but I don't see any 3th party that doesn't already have the same data and would be interested in having that data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I mean if privacy is so important. Use a fake name. Use a burner account like gmail or something. I mean how can this be some big deal.
Userlevel 4
Being in Germany I think you would have an interesting test case for the GDPR.

They are GDPR compliant.

I wouldn't be so quick to make that assessment. The right to restrict processing is much stronger than many realise. For example, the argument goes that that if a device *could* work without registration, then it *must* be allowed to work without registration, and that coercing this unnecessarily is a straight-up GDPR violation.

But there are no test cases so we have no idea what the local interpretations are going to look like.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My first thought today after the update to Sonos 9.0 was: Why do I need an account for your Software, after it worked nearly 10 years without? I don't need and want any of the new functionality, so why is it impossible to go on without an account??
Yes, I have an account for this forum, because the last updates (e.g. white theme) were just horrible and I wanted to tell Sonos about my concerns. But why is it a must to use the system? It does not give me any functional improvement (like e.g. a streaming account, were I have to pay for my music...).

So again, your update policy is horrible and I won't buy any more sonos gear, because all updates since 2 years only made the product worse. And I won't recommend it to friends anymore, as I gladly did in the beginning...

Sorry to see a good product go down ...
Userlevel 1
That's the point. I loved SONOS. That's the reason our house is full of them and I spent so much money.
And of course I used a one way account only for SONOS.
In german groups there was the hint to use the law "Datenschutzgrundverordnung" (I think that's something like GDPR or similar) to request all collected data from myself stored by SONOS and then request SONOS to delete them all. That's the right of everybody (in Europe). And if this is done by many of their (european!) customers, costs for maintaining these requests will be compared to the money, they could get, by selling them to somebody else sometimes. And maybe it will not pay off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for sharing, everyone. I'll pass your feedback along to the team. Also, please remember to keep things friendly with each other.

This account linking protects your Sonos account and system with a username and password, and an email verification step. We also implemented this account linking to facilitate seamless integration with cloud services like Amazon Alexa, Spotify, and Deezer. Sonos systems have always had a registration step as part of the setup, which linked your system with an account. That was a step which set your registration location to get access to local music services and to get updates. The change is to add a password to that account or link it to a different account, like the one you're using here on the community which could be different from the one your system is registered under.

A Sonos account gives you complete access to the full Sonos experience and another layer of protection for your system.

I know there are some questions about privacy, and I'd encourage you to take a look at our privacy policy here. If you still have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call.
My first thought today after the update to Sonos 9.0 was: Why do I need an account for your Software, after it worked nearly 10 years without? [...]
An account was already needed back in 2013, when I bought my first Sonos gear.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
For example, the argument goes that that if a device *could* work without registration, then it *must* be allowed to work without registration, and that coercing this unnecessarily is a straight-up GDPR violation.
I am loathe to get into a discussion on the technicalities of GDPR, but this seems to be a particularly tortured interpretation of the requirement.

There's a presumption here that an unlimited burden is placed upon the data controller to devise a solution that doesn't require the consent for data collection. That's not accurate. You can't contrive a scenario where you bundle other requirements to grant collection for all of the uses, but again, there's no requirement that processes be redesigned to function without data collection. The very concept of how that would be adjudicated is mind numbing.
Userlevel 4
There's no requirement that processes be redesigned to function without data collection. The very concept of how that would be adjudicated is mind numbing.

Setting aside that no true lawyer is afraid of a long, drawn-out, mind-numbing process (because think of all the fees); it would be relatively straightforward to demonstrate in some cases, including this one, in which it is fundamentally that "the devices worked anonymously for a decade; the change of processes to demand registration started only from 2017". - making it very easy to paint Sonos as just another branch of American Consumer Surveillance, Inc.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
There's no requirement that processes be redesigned to function without data collection. The very concept of how that would be adjudicated is mind numbing.

Setting aside that no true lawyer is afraid of a long, drawn-out, mind-numbing process (because think of all the fees); it would be relatively straightforward to demonstrate in some cases, including this one, in which it is fundamentally that "the devices worked anonymously for a decade; the change of processes to demand registration started only from 2017". - making it very easy to paint Sonos as just another branch of American Consumer Surveillance, Inc.

This is incorrect. Already a decade+ ago everyone was required to register their Sonos system in order for it to work.
No. Long time Sonos customer. Never a requirement to register until today. Only the most recent update has forced this. Plus it rejects all known "burner" email account sites. :-(

I agree completely with the original poster.

Hey if you're happy having a "relationship" with a corporation go ahead. But Sonos is retroactively changing the terms of the agreement in the original sale transaction. And for some people (including me) that is simple wrong.
I am a little confused here; I have updated to version 9 with no registration action on my part. I bought my last unit in 2014, and I can't recall what exactly I did for registration then. I do have an account with Sonos linked to my email address, and I find it very useful because ALL my support ticket email conversations from day 1 back in 2011 are accessible there and are often useful for troubleshooting when needed.

Would it not be similar to all in the sense that no one that has used Sonos for many years will need to do anything more just for version 9?
No. Long time Sonos customer. Never a requirement to register until today. [...]
You probably forgot, that's all.