Answered

Sonos 8.4 Desktop Controller and Big Sur Compatibility

• 7 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi, I think the minimum requiremet for this version of the desktop controller is macOS 11. But will it run on Big Sur?

icon

Best answer by James L. 8 September 2021, 09:45

Hi @Amgwanagitbuti,

Sonos version 8.4 was released back in early 2018, over 2 years before Big Sur released. We can’t guarantee that a version of the Sonos controller app will run on this version of Mac OS, but if you have an installer for it you’re more than welcome to try.

We always suggest running your Sonos system on the latest firmware and software versions to get the latest features and security patches.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Amgwanagitbuti,

Sonos version 8.4 was released back in early 2018, over 2 years before Big Sur released. We can’t guarantee that a version of the Sonos controller app will run on this version of Mac OS, but if you have an installer for it you’re more than welcome to try.

We always suggest running your Sonos system on the latest firmware and software versions to get the latest features and security patches.

Thank you James. I have 3 Macs still on Sierra (10.12) and Controller 8.4 is working fine. I’ve stayed with this version of the Controller because I have legacy Sonos gear that requires it. I’m considering a move to Big Sur but wanted to know if I woud lose compatibility with my Sonos devices. I’ll give a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thank you James. I have 3 Macs still on Sierra (10.12) and Controller 8.4 is working fine. I’ve stayed with this version of the Controller because I have legacy Sonos gear that requires it. I’m considering a move to Big Sur but wanted to know if I woud lose compatibility with my Sonos devices. I’ll give a try.

Time to give up that CR100.

@controlav, I had the CR200 but its touch screen failed after a couple years. I also have a pair of CR100 units and use them daily.The desktop controller app 8.4 works great. I don’t subscribe to music services, all my music is FLAC files and a bit of Internet radio, so I’m good where I stand. I have SonoPhone on my iPhone rather than the Sonos iOS app. I guess I’ll try Big Sur on an external drive and try the controller app.