Sonance In-Wall + Sonos Amp?

• 21 June 2019
  • 3 replies

I am trying to figure out the best way to connect a 5.1 in wall Sonance speaker system to Sonos.

Currently the system is setup via a Sonance A100 amp and an AV Receiver supporting 5.1. I would like to replace the receiver and Sonance Amp with Sonos.

The speakers are configured with 3 in front, 2 rear, plus an in wall sub.

Please can can someone help me figure out how to best integrate this into the Sonos realm?

3 replies

Sonos doesn’t have a solution for a 5.1 system of all separate speakers. You could get close, with two Sonos Amps, which would drive a 4.1 system, where the center speaker is a “phantom”, i.e. created by the right and left front speakers.

Currently, the only way to get a true 5.1 Sonos system is to use one of the sound bars, all of which have left, center, and right in the enclosure.
Thank you for that info. But what is the point of allowing Sonos to control the new Sonance architectural speakers then? If I cannot continue to use 5.1 setup and Sonos interchangeably? Are there any other configuration options?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thank you for that info. But what is the point of allowing Sonos to control the new Sonance architectural speakers then? If I cannot continue to use 5.1 setup and Sonos interchangeably? Are there any other configuration options?

I don't think the primary intent was to retrofit existing setups so much as it was to accommodate new setups. The Sonance speakers designed specifically with Sonos in mind can be Trueplay tuned and have a signature similar to Sonos speakers. You can also safely attach 3 pairs of speakers.

For your scenario, the easiest and cheapest way to 'Sonos enable' your existin setup would be to add a Sonos Connect to your existing setup. Any other way and you will no longer use your existing center channel speaker at a minimum and will require a lot more money.