Question

Software updates fail miserably

• 26 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Hello Sonos. I have been a happy Sonos customer for several years, but now its getting really bad. I have Sonos Soundbar, 2 x Play3, Subwoofer and Play1 speakers installed. When I wanted to listen to music my iphone mandated a Sonos software update. It failed miserably and after googling I found the solution to unplug all speakers. One speaker at a time - perform a factory reset and make the software update. It took me 45 minutes!!! I just wanted to listen to music. Seriously - your software update used to work smoothly, but over the past year it has gone really bad. Please test and fix the sw setup. A damn expensive (and good) system, but these forced and blocking sw update issues are just making the whole experience terrible. Br. Jani

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You should never perform a factory reset on your entire system. It erases all account information, all favorites, all playlists, etc. What is probably happening is the update caused IP conflicts in your router. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Son0s has just bricked my system,
You should never perform a factory reset on your entire system. It erases all account information, all favorites, all playlists, etc. What is probably happening is the update caused IP conflicts in your router. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address.
Hi jgatie. The DHCP server does not issue duplicate IP’s within the network. The problem started simply when launching the iPhone Sonos application. It stated a SW update is needed. I launched the software update and after trying for a while the Sonos app failed by itself with error 1011.

”Error 1011

This error is generated when the update process is canceled using the Sonos app. Depending on the number of Sonos products in your home, it may take several minutes for the update process to complete. Please allow the update to complete and do not cancel the update or exit the Sonos app during this time.”

The Sonos app just stopped trying and gave me this. After googling the solution was to:

1. Unplug the power cord from all speakers.
2. For each speaker:
A. Plug power and perform a speaker factory reset.
B. From iPhone app connect and setup the new speaker.
C. From iPhone app update sonos speaker firmware.
D. Unplug the updated speaker.
E. Go back to step 2.
3. Once all speakers are updated individually plugin power to all speakers and the Sonos system was again up and running with latest software.

Quite a hazzle:(
Step A was totally unnecessary. A factory reset is almost never good advice, except in cases where there is corrupt firmware, and the chances of having all units with corrupt firmware is a million to one. The rest of your Googled "solution" was essentially my advice.
Step A was totally unnecessary. A factory reset is almost never good advice, except in cases where there is corrupt firmware, and the chances of having all units with corrupt firmware is a million to one. The rest of your Googled "solution" was essentially my advice.

What is interesting. If I had two or more speakers powered on I got error 1011. With only one speaker available at the time the Sonos app managed to push through the sw update.
I always have this problem. I have 10 speakers, 2 sound bars, and amp - CAN'T wait for Apple to release their HomPod and list all of this equipment on eBay and be done with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!