Answered

Setup in long, narrow kitchen/dining/sitting room. Advice/experience?

• 28 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi, just mulling over how to set up my system (2xPlay:1) in our new place - we've got a large multi use rectangular room about 35ft x 13ft with usage roughly split into thirds - kitchen at one end, lounge area at the other with dining area in the middle.

I could do with a setup that will fill the room pretty well and sounds good when you're either stuck cooking in the kitchen or lounging at the other end.

Can't really decide what to do. I think the speakers will have to be mounted high on the walls so they don't get knocked off stands by careless toddlers but apart from that I've got a bit of flexibility. One on each long wall around the middle of the room (Dining area)? Diagonally opposite to one another to even up coverage (e.g one in lounge, another on kitchen wall)? Do I use as a stereo pair or just go mono with the option of grouping them? Note that I can't really stretch to any more speakers at this stage and am confident that two speakers will provide the necessary volume - just want to try and get them sounding their best!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 March 2018, 14:47

I would probably place one in the kitchen area, one in the lounge for your scenario. Although stereo pair is the ideal sound, I don't think you can do that for your area and get full coverage without cause one area to be too loud just to hear it on the other side of the room. Setting it up as 2 separate zones you can adjust the volume for each zone/speaker as needed depending on where people are located at that time.

I probably would set it up as a stereo pair on occasion, just to show the wife how much better it sounds that way. And if you haven't already, find toddler music so that kids can get on board with how great Sonos is. You'll probably be able to magically find money in the budget if the wife and kids are on board. I'd say your ideal setup, IMO, is to have a stereo pair on both ends of the room.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
i would go diagonal for sure - or central on the shorter walls - just aesthetics really - personally I would not put them as a stereo pair unless you spend most of the time around the “sweet spot” of the soundstage which would be your dining area - just group them together. Perhaps when having people over for dinner you can then set as a stereo pair - which is magnificent
I would probably place one in the kitchen area, one in the lounge for your scenario. Although stereo pair is the ideal sound, I don't think you can do that for your area and get full coverage without cause one area to be too loud just to hear it on the other side of the room. Setting it up as 2 separate zones you can adjust the volume for each zone/speaker as needed depending on where people are located at that time.

I probably would set it up as a stereo pair on occasion, just to show the wife how much better it sounds that way. And if you haven't already, find toddler music so that kids can get on board with how great Sonos is. You'll probably be able to magically find money in the budget if the wife and kids are on board. I'd say your ideal setup, IMO, is to have a stereo pair on both ends of the room.