Answered

Setting up Spotify without an internet conection

• 29 March 2018
  • 3 replies

I am caught up in a catch 22.

I need to set up my Spotify at my new home.

I have no internet until 09/04/2018 - this is when iiNet, by the grace of God, will connect me.

The Sonos app (Android) demands that I check for updates before I can proceed. Of course, I can't do that using my wifi connection. I thought maybe I could get around this by updating via my 4G data connection but Sonos demands I must be connected to Wifi to do anything. Is there any way that I can progress?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 29 March 2018, 21:05

Hi there, Jpepp1970. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. You are indeed caught in a tough spot. When it comes to Sonos, you will need the internet connection to get this up and running.

I have seen some wireless routers that allow you to build a local network off a mobile hotspot acting as a modem.

Personally, I haven't tested this and it's certainly not recommended by Sonos, but it may just be what you are looking for...
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Jpepp1970. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. You are indeed caught in a tough spot. When it comes to Sonos, you will need the internet connection to get this up and running.

I have seen some wireless routers that allow you to build a local network off a mobile hotspot acting as a modem.

Personally, I haven't tested this and it's certainly not recommended by Sonos, but it may just be what you are looking for...
Or potentially setup your system at another location using a wired connection to the router, and then move it to your new place after its been “activated”? You would then again run the Ethernet to a speaker, and go through the process that Sonos describes for replacing a router.
Many thanks for the responses guys, they are both workable solutions.

Keith N, I actually had no idea my Asus AC68U could do that kind of USB tethering - it was able to use the data connection of my Android phone. This completely solved my problem - I was able to update and can now enjoy using Sonos again.