Answered

Setting up Sonos Play 1 speakers

• 10 September 2017
  • 3 replies

I intend installing four Play 1 speakers mounted in four corners a few feet from the ceiling in a coffee bar, which is approximately 1700 square feet. Will I have good sound?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 September 2017, 01:18

I think they'd be fine. I would recommend that you set them up as 4 separate rooms (do not stereo pair them), and then group all 4 rooms together. Then, while the place is empty, do a Trueplay tuning on each "room" so that the acoustics are set up properly.

I'd note that iTunes is not legal (to my recollection) for use in a commercial venue, most likely because the necessary companies don't get their share of revenue that Muzak collects for them.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes, likely so. It does depend on how you set them up, probably, as well as the furniture in the room, the composition of the floor, and the ceiling, the kind of music, and the number of people listening.
Thanks, Airgetlam. The Coffee Bar will have (gypsum) dry wall and drywall drop ceiling (18 foot), hardwood floor, wooden tables, fabric covered cushioned chairs and sofas. Our intent is to use a dedicated Apple laptop with iTunes and play eclectic music (Rock, Jazz, Classical, Andean, etc.) as background music and not too loud. Just want the speakers to create a nice sound ambience. Do you think the four Play 1s would work or should I get something else, like a pair of Play 3s on opposite walls or even a pair of Play 5s?
I think they'd be fine. I would recommend that you set them up as 4 separate rooms (do not stereo pair them), and then group all 4 rooms together. Then, while the place is empty, do a Trueplay tuning on each "room" so that the acoustics are set up properly.

I'd note that iTunes is not legal (to my recollection) for use in a commercial venue, most likely because the necessary companies don't get their share of revenue that Muzak collects for them.