Question

setting up sonos over multiple access points

• 26 September 2017
  • 8 replies

I know I can have all my sonos speakers working across different access points with the same SSID, but it's just not working at my house with my new Ubiquiti Networks wifi.
Sonos, please can you let us in on the secret as theres plenty of people who need to know the answer?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, adam_michaels:

I come bearing answers and tips regarding how to make sure Sonos works on your local network. While the access points need to not only be broadcasting the same name and password, they also need to be broadcasting on the same wireless channel. This can normally be changed in your network settings.

Sonos works by using "Direct Routing". Imagine all of your access points along with Sonos are hand radios. In order for a conversation between Sonos devices to occur, everything needs to be on the same channel in order to be received by everyone on the network.

Hopefully, you found this to be helpful. If not, please let me know and I'll be happy to clear up any confusion.
Interesting. Is a "hand radio" also a walkie talkie? Now I have to go do some research. Wonder if it's like flashlight and torch.
Thank you, Keith, for opening my eyes for a new term!
Hi there, adam_michaels:

I come bearing answers and tips regarding how to make sure Sonos works on your local network. While the access points need to not only be broadcasting the same name and password, they also need to be broadcasting on the same wireless channel. This can normally be changed in your network settings.

Sonos works by using "Direct Routing". Imagine all of your access points along with Sonos are hand radios. In order for a conversation between Sonos devices to occur, everything needs to be on the same channel in order to be received by everyone on the network.

Hopefully, you found this to be helpful. If not, please let me know and I'll be happy to clear up any confusion.

Hi Keith N. I had the same problem as adam_michaels and your input is useful. I'll try it out when I get home. I have two concerns though: One is that it would be helpful if this information was present when one does the (re)setup of the wifi - which I have done so very many times now. The other concern is a bit more important since you say that they must run on the same channel and this is contrary to the other wifi setup advice that I find online. They specify that one should use distinct channels and preferable with a few channels separation. This is how I have it set up now and that works very well with the other wireless devices that we use. Can you point to any sources that specify that using the same channel is a good idea in general?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hi there, adam_michaels:

Hi Keith N. I had the same problem as adam_michaels and your input is useful. I'll try it out when I get home. I have two concerns though: One is that it would be helpful if this information was present when one does the (re)setup of the wifi - which I have done so very many times now. The other concern is a bit more important since you say that they must run on the same channel and this is contrary to the other wifi setup advice that I find online. They specify that one should use distinct channels and preferable with a few channels separation. This is how I have it set up now and that works very well with the other wireless devices that we use. Can you point to any sources that specify that using the same channel is a good idea in general?

I believe the advice regarding channels and APs with Sonos is that the same channel number is preferable for Sonos use. There is NO suggestion by Sonos that it is generally a good idea.
It is worth bearing in mid that the use of APs is not a supported Sonos set-up
I believe the advice regarding channels and APs with Sonos is that the same channel number is preferable for Sonos use. There is NO suggestion by Sonos that it is generally a good idea.

OK. What is the supported Sonos set-up for a medium to large wifi area, then?

OK. What is the supported Sonos set-up for a medium to large wifi area, then?

To clarify, Sonos will support multiple APs (with the requirement that they all share the same channel to enable Direct Routing) though some wirelessly meshed WiFi systems can cause problems.

However for a larger area or system the preferred solution is to wire at least one Sonos component and put everything into SonosNet/BOOST mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks for the clarification ratty. Sorry Jcoolsen if I confused matters