Answered

Setting-Up SONOS on a Ubiquiti Wired/Wireless Network

• 31 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi there,

I've recently been encountering various issues with my Ubiquiti UniFi network where the signal just disappears for hours on end for no apparent reason.

I decided to reset my Sonos system and set it up using my Sonos Bridge over SonosNet rather than on my home WiFi network to help reduce interference on the 2.4Ghz band. Primary reason for this was that my Sonos Controller on my iPhone would often tell me it could not find the Sonos players, despite all being on the network.

Heres what I have:

BT HomeHub 6 acting as DHCP server for entire network and VDSL Modem to my ISP (WiFi is turned OFF on this BT HomeHub6)
Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 connected to BT HomeHub 6 providing PoE to
2 x Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-Pros (one upstairs, one downstairs)
Sonos Bridge and various other streaming media devices (Panasonic TV, BT TV Box, XBOX) is also wired into my UniFi Switch 8 to provide a reliable wired network for the SonosNet base (Bridge) for other players to connect to

I have various PLAY:1s and a CONNECT across the house. I can't get any of them to recognise and connect to the Bridge, even when located right next to it, and even after performing a factory reset.

When I do an "About My Sonos System" from the Mac controller, it looks as though the Bridge has registered successfully:

Associated ZP: 192.168.1.112
---------------------------------
BRIDGE: BRIDGE
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-15-97-34:7
Version: 8.3 (build 40549090)
Hardware Version: 1.5.0.0-2
IP Address: 192.168.1.112
WM: 0

However, when I attempt to add any of my Play:1s, I get as far as hearing the chime but nothing else. It fails to add it to my network.

Am I better getting rid of the Sonos Bridge and wiring the Play:1 directly into the switch? Or does this make no difference?

Please can somebody help me get my Play:1s added again? I don't understand why they were working before but will no longer recognise my Bridge to connect to.

Thanks,

Steve
icon

Best answer by Belly M 31 January 2018, 19:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The BRIDGE PSU could be starting to fail. This can lead to wireless problems. A healthy PSU puts out a steady 5.1V, if you are able to test it. Try wiring a PLAY:1 instead.

Incidentally you don't have to factory reset anything to switch to SonosNet mode. Just wire a device (other than the BRIDGE it would seem in your case) and wait 2-3 mins for it all to settle down. Then check that About My Sonos System is showing all units as WM:0 before going to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and removing the WiFi credentials there.
Badge
Thanks, ratty

Just tested the Bridge PSU and it’s putting out 5.11V.

Just tried wiring a Play:1 instead. Was detected on the network and all good until I pressed the Play/Pause + Volume Up button to hear the chime but it fails to connect after the chime.

Any more ideas, please?

Steve
Badge +20
Try one wired Sonos device into one of the Ethernet ports on the HomeHub.
@stevewoolley, have you actually factory reset anything as yet? If not then button-pressing shouldn't be required.

Belly M's suggestion is a good one. Also poke around in your UniFi settings and make sure nothing could block multicast and broadcast traffic.
Badge
Thank you, Belly M

It seems that the SONOS devices are being correctly identified in the Controller (with correct serial numbers) on the network but connection always fails immediately after pressing the two buttons on the device to confirm connection.

The Bridge is now displaying no lights on the top, other than the ethernet port LEDs on the back.

S
Badge +20
Personally I would unplug the Ubiquiti side of things, turn on WiFi on the HomeHub and wire in one Play 1and not the Bridge. You will of course need to connect your controller to the HomeHub’s wifi. Do close any Sonos apps and probably best to powercycle Sonos devices before trying to connect again. Just for your own sanity to get Sonos working.

Unless you have reset your Sonos devices, in the app you need to connect to an existing system.

EDIT

As ratty says... could be a setting issue or even the Ubiquiti acess ponts do odd things with the MAC address?
Badge
All good suggestions; many thanks for your help.

I started again and disconnected the Ubiquiti side of the network (apart from the UniFi Switch 8, which the Bridge is wired into).

All good. Have been able to add all my players back on SonosNet with no issues at all.

Starting to sequentially add Ubiquiti network back in to see if it impacts anything. All good so far.

I just needed to think about it logically and start afresh.

Cheers all,

Steve
Badge +20
That’s great to hear, would suggest also only ever having one Sonos device wired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have found setting static assignments in the DHCP server makes for a more stable Sonos environment, particularly if the WiFi is iffy.