Answered

Setting up Ray in 2 Homes

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

My daughter is away at college and would like to use a new Sonos Ray for her tv in her apartment. She has her own separate router set up but no ther Sonos devices. We have our own home Sonos network as well where she would potentially have it. So what’s the best way to go about doing that? Can you have 2 networks for one device and switch or would you have to in essence delete one network on the device and reset up each time?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 May 2022, 03:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

She could change the network name and password of her network to match your home network. The Ray won’t know the difference.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

She could change the network name and password of her network to match your home network.

So I can purchase it and set it up on my network first. She takes it to her apartment and then she sets it up how using my network name and password? Is that correct?

Userlevel 7

She could change the network name and password of her network to match your home network.

So I can purchase it and set it up on my network first. She takes it to her apartment and then she sets it up how using my network name and password? Is that correct?

If her network has the same name and password as your home network, she won’t have to set it up again. The Ray should automatically connect to her network because it will think it’s on the same network.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

If her network has the same name and password as your home network, she won’t have to set it up again. The Ray should automatically connect to her network because it will think it’s on the same network.

Really? So it’s not reading any of the other information that’s on that router, just the login info? That is absolutely crazy. Will she have access to all our music services as well I assume then? I am just shook that would work.  

Music service credentials are stored in the players. She could setup the new RAY at home, inheriting all of the music service registrations, then take it to school. SONOS doesn’t mind that the system is split between different locations, however, the music services might not allow simultaneous play from both locations. If she sets up her new system at school, they will be different systems and she’ll need to enter music service credentials into her system. When she then brings her system home, there will be two separate systems on your network.