Question

Setting up Connect/Play:1s and existing Yamaha RX-V373

• 13 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have a Yahama RX-V373 with 5 surround sound speakers and a sub attached.

I also have 5 Play: 1s, a Play: 3, and a Connect (ZP90).

Living room and kitchen are open concept one room with the Play:3 in the kitchen and 2 Play:1s on opposite book shelves.

What I want to do but can't figure it out DIY or searching is have my Play:1s on the shelves and possibly the Play: 3 be used with my Yamaha receiver and play on any device connected to it.

My Receiver set-up is attached. Hopefully this crude drawing will help with my current receiver set-up.

Any help or nay-saying is greatly appreciated!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi poeschel55

Assuming I understand your post correctly...you should connect the RCA-IN on the Connect to RCA_Audio -Out of the Yamaha. In the Sonos app set the Line-In of the Connect to "AUTO PLAY". Then group the Connect to the Play 1's and Play 3. Any audio you play via a CD or other connected audio or video device will be heard through the Sonos speakers. You may (just maybe) experience a slight delay with audio from a video source.

Note: All Sonos devcies must be named as a room either as a stand-alone speaker or stereo pair. That includes naming the Connect as a room.

If I missed something please let me know.

Cheers!
Badge
Hi poeschel55

Assuming I understand your post correctly...you should connect the RCA-IN on the Connect to RCA_Audio -Out of the Yamaha. In the Sonos app set the Line-In of the Connect to "AUTO PLAY". Then group the Connect to the Play 1's and Play 3. Any audio you play via a CD or other connected audio or video device will be heard through the Sonos speakers.

Cheers!

Yes you did understand correctly! I tried the suggestion but to no avail. On my Sonos app (pictured) I think I set up properly but I'm still just getting sound from Yamaha speakers when I tried both the OTA antenna and the Xbox.

I have my 2 Play 1s as a stereo pair (Living - Left) and my connect (Living - connect) which are both grouped together under "Rooms". I tried both the connect and the stereo pair as the "Autoplay Room".

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi poeschel55

You wrote:
I have my 2 Play 1s as a stereo pair (Living - Left) and my connect (Living - connect) which are both grouped together under "Rooms". I tried both the connect and the stereo pair as the "Autoplay Room".

Suggestions:
  1. Change the name of the Connect to Music Room or anything not remotely close to "Living".....
  2. Adjust the AutoPlay Volume down to 50% or lower. You don't want to blow your speakers 😉
  3. This may not be necessary so try the change above before doing this which is to...Move the Line-In source level to "10"
Edit: Did you connect the RCA's from Audio Out on the Yamaha to the correct ports on the Connect (Analog Audio In) as shown in the diagram:

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Badge
@AjTrek1
Here's what I've got below. Exactly as it should be.
Also in testing, the "tuner" comes through the Sonos, but nothing else will.

As you can see in the My Sonos picture the 3 bars by the ... Are moving up and down as if it should be playing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
@poeschel55

OK...if your tuner will play through to Sonos which is analog; then there must be a setting that will not let your Yamaha pass or rather convert a digital signal to analog over the RCA audio output. We need to review your manual.
Badge
I was thinking that might be a thing but I might have missed it in the manual
https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/326069/RX-V373_manual.pdf
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi poeschel55

Thanks for the link. After reviewing your manual (pages 23 thru 27) I suspect that the Yamaha V373 cannot output audio from a HDMI source to its analog RCA Audio-Out . However, you could input the source video via HDMI and route the audio from the source via its RCA-Audio Out (if available) to Audio 1-In or Audio 2_In of the V373. Then use the RCA Audio-Out on the V373 to the RCA Audio-In of the Sonos Connect.

My suspicions (I think) are further supported in this YouTube video. Of course you can always contact Yamaha for their guidance.

If the source does not have RCA Audio-Out you might use a HDMI Audio Extractor similar to the one shown here.

Your connections would be:
  1. Source HDMI-Out > HDMI-In on extractor
  2. HDMI-Out on extractor > HDMI-In on Yamaha V373
  3. RCA-Out on extractor > RCA-Audio-In on Yamaha V373
  4. RCA-Audio-Out on Yamaha > RCA-Audio-In on Sonos Connect
Please let us know how things sort out. Cheers!