Answered

Setting up Beam on a TV with no HDMI ARC or optical out.

Badge
Hi,
I know that a lot of folks have been asking about this so I apologize for adding to the chorus but I’m trying to set up a Beam on a TV that doesn’t have HDMI ARC or an optical output. I’ve read a few different posts and seen a few different solutions so I’m hoping to get some clarity. I’ve seen some folks recommend an HDMI switch device like the Monoprice. I’ve seen other folks recommend a coax to optical cable. Attached are pictures of what I’m working with for my TV. Pictures include a picture of what my TV has for audio outs and another picture of the audio outs as it is currently set up (currently have a cable box going into the tv as well as an Apple TV). For whatever it’s worth my TV is a RCA 42pa30rq.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Nick
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 24 June 2019, 06:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

If you’re using the optical connector, there’s no transmission from the Beam to your TV to tell it what kind of sound (codec) to send, so you have to adjust the TV’s settings, along with the settings for each device that feeds the TV to tell them that they need to send a Dolby Digital signal.

My guess is that right now, your Beam is getting a stereo signal, which has no surround signal associated with it. You can check this by opening the controller while playing something on the TV, and go to Settings>System>About My System, and look at the line underneath the Beam that states Audio In: followed by something.

yes!! You’re totally right! 

it says Audio in: Stereo

now I forced the output of the appletv to Dolby 5.1 and it sounds perfect.

thank you very much!!

Sorry to jump on this post if in wrong place but I have an old tv with no optical or arc hdmi like above and decided to try the arcana before buying a new tv.

With arcana connected I’m still not able to complete the home theater TV setup as it won’t recognize it.

Looking on the hdfury website it mentions you need to complete beam/arc setup on a cec capable display before it will work. This seems to defeat one of the main objects of the arcana device that it will enable older tv’s to work with beam and sonos arc.

I’m not overly technical so hopefully I’m doing something wrong but has anyone got any suggestions?

If you’re using the optical connector, there’s no transmission from the Beam to your TV to tell it what kind of sound (codec) to send, so you have to adjust the TV’s settings, along with the settings for each device that feeds the TV to tell them that they need to send a Dolby Digital signal.

My guess is that right now, your Beam is getting a stereo signal, which has no surround signal associated with it. You can check this by opening the controller while playing something on the TV, and go to Settings>System>About My System, and look at the line underneath the Beam that states Audio In: followed by something.

Badge
Thank you so much for the response! So I should be running the yellow/red/white cables from my
cable box into that first row in the back of my tv, and then using the cable and converter box sound will run out of my digital-out into the sonos?
Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Thank you so much for the response! So I should be running the yellow/red/white cables from my
cable box into that first row in the back of my tv, and then using the cable and converter box sound will run out of my digital-out into the sonos?
Thanks again!

Hi Nickfr84

There's no need for the red/white/yellow cables; as those are analog inputs. As long as your cable box has an HDMI output you should run an HDMI cable between it and your TV's HDMI input (typically HDMI 1). You'll still need the Digital converter box and the cable(s) I referenced in my first response.

BTW...my diagram was only intended to show you the proper use for those inputs. You will only be using the Orange digital out for your purposes (other than the HDMI connection).

Question:
Are you by chance saying that your cable box does not have an HDMI out? If so I find that extremely odd in todays world.🤔

Cheers!

Hi All,

I’ve been following this chain because I also have an old TV with no HDMI ARC or optical outputs.  I bought a converter as suggested and have connect my Beam as follows:

• HDMI to optical convert connected to digital audio converter output.
  • Coaxial cable connected to digital audio converter input.
  • Coaxial cable connected to TV.

After doing this I still do not get sound out of my Beam and am not able to set it up for TV audio in the app.  Any idea where I went wrong?

Thanks!

Badge
Thanks, that helps a lot! You’re correct that my cable box is hdmi. The yellow/red/white cables are from the DVD player that we never use (now there’s some technology that might be a little odd in today’s world!). So the only things running into the tv are hdmi’s from my cable box and Apple TV and then running out of my tv will be sound from the digital output into the convertor box Do I have that right?
Thanks again,
Nick
Userlevel 7
Correct!
Badge
Thanks so much!!!

I’m trying to connect my beam to an older samsung model with neither of the necessary connectors (ARC or optical) as was the guy above.  The model of tv can be found here with the list of inputs.   https://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40D5003BFXZA-specs  and the back is pictured here.

Since there is no “coaxial” or “digital out” anywhere i’m unclear as to what converter and cords I would need - trying to figure it out based on the answer to the first answer above.  Some further clarity would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Basically, you need to pull the audio out of the HDMI before it reaches your TV. Which implies something along the lines of an HDMI switch with an optical output.  Something along the lines of (for example, not a recommendation)

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_3?

They come in a variety of numbers of inputs, remotes, etc, the key thing is you want that optical output on it, so you can connect your Sonos to it. Then you just connect all your HDMI devices to the input(s), and the TV to the output, and the Sonos to the optical output.

You’re most welcome. Enjoy!

Hi guys, same problem as above - new Beam with no HDMI arc or optical. I purchased all the products listed in the first response (digital to analog converter) and it still doesn’t work!

Set up is:

TV - 3.5mm AUX - Converter - Optical Cable connected to HDMI - Beam

TV is a Bush DLED50265FHD which isn’t THAT old but I just can’t figure out what’s wrong - any help is much appreciated otherwise I may sadly have to return the Beam (not interested in buying a new TV just yet)

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Consider using an Arcana unit from HDfury.

Userlevel 7
Hi Nickfr84

It a common mistake so don't feel as though you missed Connections 101 😉. The connections; to an extent, and cables (white, red and yellow) shown in the picture are incorrect. So let's get you on the right track.

Take a look at the picture I've inserted as it correctly labels the connections you are trying to use. At this juncture all you need is the Digital Out connection. Digital Out (or In) can come in two forms requiring the use of one of the cables below. It appears your is the latter (click both links for a visual):

3.5mm Digital Cable
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Braided-Auxiliary-compatiable-Headphone/dp/B07PTPFSQF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=3.5mm+digital+cable&qid=1561347992&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

RCA-Type Digital Cable *
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Audio-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B01D5H8TS4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=digital+rca+cable&qid=1561349277&s=gateway&sr=8-3

After selecting the appropriate cable you'll need a Digital to Optical Converter as shown in the link:

Digital to Optical Converter **
https://www.amazon.com/VANDESAIL-Optical-Coaxial-Converter-Bi-Directional/dp/B07CKZCHX5/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=digital+optical+converter&pd_rd_i=B07CKZCHX5&pd_rd_r=6653ebf7-108a-4d54-8e72-62106c7e60e7&pd_rd_w=U1AnK&pd_rd_wg=Cnkr6&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=PPNN7BY7PHFZT937SV9R&qid=1561347740&s=gateway

Your connections would be:
  • Digital Cable from Digital -Out of TV to Digital Input of Converter
  • Optical Out of Converter to Beam
  • Video source to HDMI inputs (TV will process video and send the audio to digital-out)
The Beam comes with and HDMI cable and an Optical adapter. Attach the optical adapter to one end of the HDMI cable which would be inserted into the optical-out of the Digital to Optical converter box. Attach the remaining end of the HDMI cable to the Beam. Follow the instructions in the Sonos app to complete the Beam setup.

You will most likely have to enter your TV's Audio Menu and set the sound to digital-out. Your choices may be Dolby Digital (DD.51), PCM (Stereo) or others. Select Dolby Digital if available; if not select PCM. Other choices or variations of Dolby Digital will not work.

Note: Using the Beam with the optical adapter negates voice assistance. Therefore, (although more expensive) you may want to consider a Playbar or Playbase. The Playbase is AirPlay2 capable (just like the Beam).

* Analog and Digital cables of this type look very similar in appearance. Be sure that the cable is labeled as Digital on the packaging.
** The Digital Converter box in the example comes packaged with a digital rated cable (RCA-type).

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion about the Beam. Feel free to post back with more questions.

Cheers!

Hello! 

I followed this instructions (thank you!) as my tv doesn’t have ARC. 

My setup is one beam, two Sonos one and a Sonos move (I guess I cannot add this one to the setup?)

The funny thing is that with the optical converter and the correct setup from the app, I cannot listen the back speakers correctly. But if I output the audio via WiFi to the group using airplay from the appletv, then the surround seems to work fine. 

Anyone has any clue on how to fix this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Alberto