Setting up a turntable with Sonos

• 10 September 2012
  • 115 replies

Userlevel 2
I am looking to get a turntable and want to connect it with my Sonos system. I have a Play:3 and a Bridge. I know you can not connect directly into a Play:3 but will it work with Connect or a Connect:Amp?

Thank you for your time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

115 replies

I apologize for my denseness, but I am well out of my depth. I am hoping to invest in a turntable and sound system for my condo. I have my eye on the Audio Technical LP120. I was hoping to get a pair for Play 1s. After poking around in this thead, it seems this will not be sufficient to get my up and running. What would you folks suggest? I was toying with the idea of keeping the turntable and my vinyl collection in a spare bedroom, so I am thinking I would not want so connect the turntable directly to a speaker, but if this idea is obtuse, I can certainly put the turntable in the main room with the speakers if that makes more sense. What do? Thanks.

You'll need Sonos's Connect or Connect:Amp. You can hook the Audio Technica LP120 (which has a bult-in preamp) into the line-in of either one of those. You'll then see a "Line In" option on your Sonos controller and that you can play on your Play 1s wherever they are in your condo. That is, you can have the Play 1s and your record player in different rooms.
According to the manual online, there is, and it appear to be (if I'm reading it right) underneath the platter, which would need to be removed to see it. Take a look at "assembling the turntable" in the manual. It's literally the first thing that they instruct you to do before putting it together.

But, I guess that's moot now, since you have something working.
Badge +1
It was the EQ switch for me! I didn't realize it was under the platter. I couldn't get the manual off of Sony's site but found it elsewhere and thats all it was. Appreciate the tips.
Welcome to the forums.

The Lenco L-3866 has an integral phono preamp so should connect to Sonos without problem. Make sure that it's plugged into the Line-In jacks on the CONNECT, not the Line-Out. A Line-In source for the CONNECT should appear in the Music menu. Point your Sonos controller at the Play:5 zone and select the CONNECT's Line-In for play.

Once it's working, there are a few tweaks you can do. If the volume level doesn't seem quite right you can go to the Room Settings for your CONNECT and change the Line-In source level adjustment. If you wish you can also configure things such that whenever the turntable Line-In plays Sonos automatically switches the Play:5 to that source, and stops play when the turntable input is silent.
Forgive me if it has been covered, but I do not recall seeing anything mentioned about my biggest question about connecting a turntable to a Sonos system. Does the Sonos Connect convert the analog signal from the turntable to a digital signal that is eventually amplified and played by the Sonos speakers? Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get the full analog experience from vinyl.
Does the Sonos Connect convert the analog signal from the turntable to a digital signal that is eventually amplified and played by the Sonos speakers? Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get the full analog experience from vinyl.
Of course. How else would the signal be sent around a network? There's no 'analog bypass' in the player to which a turntable might be connected.

Besides, the noise/distortion from the original vinyl replay would totally dwarf any which could potentially be introduced by digitising and re-converting to analog.
Thanks for the response. Pretty much what I thought, but wanted a sanity check. So to anyone else reading this thread, if you want to truly experience analog music via a turntable and vinyl, consider using a more traditional amp and speakers rather than a Sonos system. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Sonos and have invested quite a bit of money in their products. They work very well for streaming digital audio and the sound bar and sub work great for listening to movies and tv.
Userlevel 3
Badge
if you want to truly experience analog music via a turntable and vinyl, consider using a more traditional amp and speakers rather than a Sonos system.
Even most modern amps will still do ADC -> processing -> DAC on all their analog inputs unless they have a specific analog bypass mode... So you'd need to do some research to make sure you are getting that 'purist' signal path (which you likely won't be able to hear the difference of, anyway, except for the extra hiss in the all-analog path).
Greetings Calvary!

This is what I have:

1. Soundbar hooked up to my TV.
2. Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable hooked up to a regular old receiver.
a. The regular old receiver sends music to 4 ceiling speakers located in the ceiling of my home.

This is what I want:
1. Audio-Technica Turntable to play over my Soundbar (and additional Sonos players which I intend to buy)
2. Audio-Technica Turntable to continue to play over the 4 ceiling speakers.

How do I accomplish this?

I was hoping to buy a Connect AMP and ditch my regular old receiver. However, the Connect AMP appears to only have a L and R speaker output which means that I cannot power my additional 2 ceiling speakers.

Do I need to keep the regular old amplifier for the 4 ceiling speakers and then is there a less costly alternative to send music from the turntable to the Sonos speakers (e.g., Connect?)

Any thoughts will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
If your ceiling speakers are 8 Ohms, the Connect:Amp will power both pairs. Also, you can use a Connect on a line-in (analog or digital ) of your current receiver. Send your turntable out to the Connect line-in, and the output of the Connect to your current receiver. This would require you to power the receiver up for use, but it is a less expensive alternative.
jgatie - thanks for the super-quick reply!

I understand what you are saying. However, I have one questions. How will the Connect Amp power 4 speakers directly? From the pictures I have seen, the Connect:Amp appears to only have a L and R audio out. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!!
jgatie - thanks for the super-quick reply!

I understand what you are saying. However, I have one questions. How will the Connect Amp power 4 speakers directly? From the pictures I have seen, the Connect:Amp appears to only have a L and R audio out. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!!

You just have two sets of speaker cables going to each terminal instead of one. It won't be any form of surround sound if that's what you mean though.
As the_LHC said, you will have 2 right and 2 left channels. See this link for details:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/kw/4%20speakers%20to%20a%20connect:amp/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2NDg5MzExNS9zaWQvWWJOTF8yU20%3D#4_speakers
Hello!
This is my first post in this thread, I have been following it with interest.

So, I have:
Pioneer PL 990 record player - not sure if it has a build in pre amp?
The description says : "This fully automatic stereo turntable features a low-mass straight tone arm, precise DC servo motor and built-in phono equaliser. Simply connect to any auxilliary/line input on our amplifier or mini system".

Can this be connected directly to a play 5? Without a phono box?

I am hoping to have the record player and PLAY 5 in room 1, and a PLAY 1 in room 2 - would this work? Do I also need a BRIDGE? Also, what wires would be needed to facilitate these connections?

Many thanks in advance!
abertie,

The pioneer PL 990 turntable has an internal RIAA preamp, so yes it can be plugged into your Play-5 (3.5mm jack) line-in port.

Here is an unboxing video for the turntable on YouTube https://youtu.be/vXm5Oel3ZwE which should help you.
Thanks so much, i'll watch the video
Hi again Ken,

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but the pioneer has the red and white output cords. Do I require an adapter to connect these to the Play5 single line in port?

Thanks.

Ps the unboxing video was very helpful!
Hi again Ken,

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but the pioneer has the red and white output cords. Do I require an adapter to connect these to the Play5 single line in port?

Thanks.

Ps the unboxing video was very helpful!

Yes, I believe you need an RCA to male 3.5mm Jack ... They are pretty standard and you can either get a small adapter to do this, or bear in mind that the unboxing video shows what I think is really a short built-in RCA cable, so if you plan to have the turntable a little further away from your Play-5, then you may want to consider purchasing an RCA to 3.5mm cable rather than an adapter. See the two 'example' screenshots attached.

Hope that helps.
Brilliant, thanks again
Hi, this is my first post.

I have two play1s and a playbar. I was looking at getting the Flexson VinylPlay turntable and a Connect for my records. Am i right in thinking i would be better just spending the money on a play5 to connect the turntable to? Or a Connect and another two play1s? (the turntable will be in a separate room from my original setup)

Also is there any difference in audio with the line in on play5 and the connect.

Thanks
I think it depends on what audio equipment you own already and what you are trying to achieve. As your turntable will be in a separate room then you will need either:

(i) a single Sonos Play-5 ... You can always add another later if you want better stereo separation.
(ii) a Sonos connect, an amp/receiver and a pair of speakers
(iii) a Sonos Connect:Amp and a pair of speakers

You can also use a Sonos Playbar, but that is slightly off topic.

The audio quality really comes down to the speakers and amplifier that you already own, or intend to buy. I'm certainly no expert in that area myself but I'm sure there are many people here in the community, who could recommend some excellent products in terms of value for money etc.

My personal choice is, I really like the new Sonos Play-5 and I would choose that and I would then go onto add another one later for stereo separation in the room.

In terms of 'functionality' and being able to use the line-in on either a connect or a Play-5 ... As far as I am aware you can do the same things with either product in the Sonos controller software and that includes sharing the input source from the line-in to any other Sonos speaker.

So as an example you could play an album on the turntable in the dining room connected to a Play-5 in that same room, but choose to have the audio come out of a pair of Play-1 speakers in the kitchen area, rather than actually output the audio in the dining room... or of course you can output the audio to both rooms at the same time in perfect sync. (Just as an example).
Thanks.

I already have 1210s for DJing with, im now just getting a player to listen to records. The Flexson turntable has a digital line out so my question was really, am i better with a connect and two play1s or a single play5 to plug into? My budget right now wont stretch to two play 5s.
Thanks.

I already have 1210s for DJing with, im now just getting a player to listen to records. The Flexson turntable has a digital line out so my question was really, am i better with a connect and two play1s or a single play5 to plug into? My budget right now wont stretch to two play 5s.

Yes I think you would be better off with the 'connect' in your case as you already have an amp and decent speakers, presumably in the same room you want to put the turntable? You mentioned something about wanting the turntable in separate room to your original setup? ... I'm not sure what you meant by that?
Thanks.

Yes I think you would be better off with the 'connect' in your case as you already have an amp and decent speakers, presumably in the same room you want to put the turntable? You mentioned something about wanting the turntable in separate room to your original setup? ... I'm not sure what you meant by that?

I have my two play1s and playbar in my sitting room. Im goin to set this turntable up in my dining room with new speakers (either two play1s or a play5).
As i say this turntable has a digital line out so i shouldnt need a pre amp. Hence my question was really am i better with the connect and two new play1s (£500+) or just a single play5 (£400+)

cheers
Oh I see now what you are saying... Sorry.

If I was not going to ever stretch to buying a second Play-5 and wanted the stereo separation in my room or just simply wanted the audio in different areas due to the shape of the room ('L' shaped for example) then I would choose a connect and two Play-1's. You can put the connect and turntable in either of your rooms too with that method. I think it's a personal thing I actually prefer two Play-1 speakers compared to a single Play-5.