Setting up a turntable with Sonos

• 10 September 2012
  • 115 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

115 replies

If you have no need for any of the other features an amp/receiver may provide, then connecting a preamp between the turntable and the Sonos Line-In will work fine.

Examples of those features include use of a built-in terrestrial radio tuner to receive local sports broadcasts that may be blacked out on the internet feed, or to use legacy equipment like tape decks.
ONESPRIGGAN,

Unless you need another amplifier or receiver for some other reason, there is no point in purchasing a Receiver or Integrated Amplifier solely for its REC OUT. However, if you have an old unit sitting, unused in a closet, you can use this as your phono preamp. There is no need to connect speakers, just use the Phono input and REC OUT.
Userlevel 2
I connect my turntable to the tv and then it connects to the sonos through the playbar. I love the playbar and it works great as a hub for my record player as well. The only challenge is the need to have the record player near the TV. Other than that it works perfectly.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
hi there, been following this thread with interest.

i have a sonos system in my living room:

sound bar, boost, connect:amp, 2 x play 3s, sub

i have connected a project debut carbon turntable to the connect:amp via a rega mm mk2 phono stage device.

all working fine and very pleased with it. can play records throughout the flat, which is great.

my question is this:

given a pretty dramatic recent price fall in tannoy dc6t se speakers, would there be any benefit in attaching two of these to the connect:amp itself?

would it improve the sound in my living room?
would these speakers give better performance than the play 3s?
would there be benefit of playing both at the same time for a more surround sound?

many thanks indeed.
Welcome to the forums.

given a pretty dramatic recent price fall in tannoy dc6t se speakers, would there be any benefit in attaching two of these to the connect:amp itself?

would it improve the sound in my living room?
would these speakers give better performance than the play 3s?
would there be benefit of playing both at the same time for a more surround sound?

If you were thinking of using the CONNECT:AMP to drive the Tannoys as PLAYBAR surrounds, in place of the PLAY:3s, you need to be aware that the CONNECT:AMP's Line-In is disabled in such a configuration.

If instead you wanted to group the CONNECT:AMP with the existing PLAYBAR/SUB/PLAY:3s setup, all would automatically be in sync for music but not for TV. There's a FAQ which explains why.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
..you just saved me 500 quid...

much appreciated.

jon
Badge +4
Probably a dumb question, but how do I know if my record player is pre-amplified? I've only ever connected the audio cables into a receiver and then out to hard-wired speakers.

It's a pretty stock Sony record player, bought at Best Buy maybe 10 years ago.

By connecting it, you'll know 🙂 Then you'll need to buy a preamp if it doesn't, or not buy one if it does!

Regards,
Ben
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
this might be a daft question:

is there way of plugging an electro-acoustic guitar into a sonos connect: amp? (maybe via something else between the two)
is there way of plugging an electro-acoustic guitar into a sonos connect: amp?
You wouldn't want to do that, owing to the 70ms delay through Sonos. It would be most off-putting.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
thanks, Ratty - understood
Userlevel 2
Hi there,

Apoligises if this is a stupid question but I'm a little lost at the moment.

My setup is a Play 5, a project carbon record player and a denon pma-520ae pre amp.

I'd like to connect everything but I cant see where to connect the play 5 and denon pre amp. I'm I missing something very simple or do I need a new cable/piece of kit to connect everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.

Your 520AE is an integrated amplifier (a preamp and amp on one chassis). It is somewhat overkill for this purpose, but it will work. A basic phono preamp is all you really need, but for now the Denon will suffice.

You will need a cable with a 3.5mm plug on one end (for the Play:5) and two RCA jacks on the other to connect to the 'Recorder - REC' jacks on the 520. Set the 520 to Phono, and select Line-In on the Play:5 using a Sonos Controller.

Note that the Line-In option will not appear until the cable is actually connected.
Userlevel 2
Hello!
I've been reading this thread and it has solved most of my questions regarding TT and Sonos.

I'm planning to buy Connect:AMP, but I would still ask your comments on the following setup:
-2X Play:3 + 1X Play:5 + 2X Monitor Audio BX2 passive speakers (idea is to use Play-speakers in kitchen and bedroom and Monitor Audio speakers in living room)
-Turntable, CD-player, TV etc connected to a Sony Pre-Amp
-Pre-Amp connected to Connect:AMP line-in via Tape-out

According to my understanding this setup works but the problem with TV is the 70ms delay in sound.

What if the Monitor Audio passive speakers would be connected to both Sony Pre-Amp and Sonos Connect:AMP?
Then I could use the Sony Pre-Amp for watching TV without delay (and without Sonos), and if listening to music I could use them in Connect:AMP.

If you have also any other comments or things that I should consider, please kindly let me know.
McManaman,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Never connect a speaker directly to two amplifiers. The best outcome you should expect is that only one of the amplifiers will be destroyed. You could use a selector switch to connect the speakers to one amplifier or the other as long as the switch contacts are "break before make".

Note that a "pre-amp" cannot drive speakers because there is no amplifier. An "integrated amplifier" contains both a preamplifier and amplifier.

---

Although hard core gamers might feel differently, the 70ms delay is not an issue for most users while watching TV. In my area the 70ms is constructive because the cable companies destroy the lip sync -- sound leads the picture by a few hundred milliseconds in some cases. The 70ms is a major annoyance if a delayed output and non delayed output will simultaneously be audible in the same room.

---

Finally, many people indicate a desire to keep the CD player before purchasing a SONOS system. In may respects this is a security blanket -- just in case the SONOS system does not work out. All of these people will kick the tires on day one, just to make sure that the security blanket is operating, but this is the last time that they will use the CD player. A legitimate use of the CD player would be if guests regularly come by with CD's to play. Not that DVD and Blu-ray players will also play CD's.
Userlevel 2
My husband has a Numark MixTrack Pro turntable. Can I plug this into Sonos Connect, and then buy a bluetooth transmitter and plug it into my Jambox? He currently has the turntable plugged into an enormous amplifier and then the amplifier plugged into ancient speakers. He wants to be able to play his music wirelessly, and I would like to make this happen for him for his birthday! Please help!
Hello, this is my first post, and after reading through other posts in this thread, I have learned a lot about SONOS and turntables. I just bought the Playbar and sub yesterday, my first pieces of SONOS equipment, and as one person said, they breed like rabbits! It's not even 24 hours later, and I am already about to pull the trigger on the 2-pack of Play:1s and the Connect. I am hoping someone can verify my theory in how I am going to set these up! I have a turntable hooked up to an Onkyo integrated amp, with 2 Klipsch speakers coming out of the integrated amp. If I introduce the Connect to my setup, would I have a cable from the Line Out of the amp to the Line In of the Connect, and then be able to stream my vinyl to my Play:1s and Playbar? Is there anything else that I am missing? Would there be a way that I would still be able to get anything out of the Klipsch speakers while streaming to the SONOS speakers? Would it be better to introduce the new Play:5 instead of the Connect? Thank you for any help you can give!
Forgive me if it has been covered, but I do not recall seeing anything mentioned about my biggest question about connecting a turntable to a Sonos system. Does the Sonos Connect convert the analog signal from the turntable to a digital signal that is eventually amplified and played by the Sonos speakers? Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get the full analog experience from vinyl.
Does the Sonos Connect convert the analog signal from the turntable to a digital signal that is eventually amplified and played by the Sonos speakers? Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get the full analog experience from vinyl.
Of course. How else would the signal be sent around a network? There's no 'analog bypass' in the player to which a turntable might be connected.

Besides, the noise/distortion from the original vinyl replay would totally dwarf any which could potentially be introduced by digitising and re-converting to analog.
Thanks for the response. Pretty much what I thought, but wanted a sanity check. So to anyone else reading this thread, if you want to truly experience analog music via a turntable and vinyl, consider using a more traditional amp and speakers rather than a Sonos system. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Sonos and have invested quite a bit of money in their products. They work very well for streaming digital audio and the sound bar and sub work great for listening to movies and tv.
Userlevel 3
Badge
if you want to truly experience analog music via a turntable and vinyl, consider using a more traditional amp and speakers rather than a Sonos system.
Even most modern amps will still do ADC -> processing -> DAC on all their analog inputs unless they have a specific analog bypass mode... So you'd need to do some research to make sure you are getting that 'purist' signal path (which you likely won't be able to hear the difference of, anyway, except for the extra hiss in the all-analog path).
Greetings Calvary!

This is what I have:

1. Soundbar hooked up to my TV.
2. Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable hooked up to a regular old receiver.
a. The regular old receiver sends music to 4 ceiling speakers located in the ceiling of my home.

This is what I want:
1. Audio-Technica Turntable to play over my Soundbar (and additional Sonos players which I intend to buy)
2. Audio-Technica Turntable to continue to play over the 4 ceiling speakers.

How do I accomplish this?

I was hoping to buy a Connect AMP and ditch my regular old receiver. However, the Connect AMP appears to only have a L and R speaker output which means that I cannot power my additional 2 ceiling speakers.

Do I need to keep the regular old amplifier for the 4 ceiling speakers and then is there a less costly alternative to send music from the turntable to the Sonos speakers (e.g., Connect?)

Any thoughts will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
If your ceiling speakers are 8 Ohms, the Connect:Amp will power both pairs. Also, you can use a Connect on a line-in (analog or digital ) of your current receiver. Send your turntable out to the Connect line-in, and the output of the Connect to your current receiver. This would require you to power the receiver up for use, but it is a less expensive alternative.
jgatie - thanks for the super-quick reply!

I understand what you are saying. However, I have one questions. How will the Connect Amp power 4 speakers directly? From the pictures I have seen, the Connect:Amp appears to only have a L and R audio out. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!!
jgatie - thanks for the super-quick reply!

I understand what you are saying. However, I have one questions. How will the Connect Amp power 4 speakers directly? From the pictures I have seen, the Connect:Amp appears to only have a L and R audio out. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!!

You just have two sets of speaker cables going to each terminal instead of one. It won't be any form of surround sound if that's what you mean though.
As the_LHC said, you will have 2 right and 2 left channels. See this link for details:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/kw/4%20speakers%20to%20a%20connect:amp/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2NDg5MzExNS9zaWQvWWJOTF8yU20%3D#4_speakers