Setting up a turntable with Sonos

• 10 September 2012
  • 115 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

115 replies

Welcome to the forums.

I'm having trouble reconciling the following two posts on this thread: Post 12, which says:

The Play:5 has a Line-In socket. The Play:3 does not.

And Post 20, which says:

You can connect the turntable pre-amp output to the Line-In on any Sonos Player. They're all equivalent.

The two statements are not inconsistent. To perhaps restate the obvious:
You can connect the turntable pre-amp output to the Line-In on any Sonos Player if it has one.

The Sonos Players which offer Line-In are Play:5, Connect and Connect:Amp.

Basically, I'm starting from scratch with respect to my music system, and I'm looking at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, and I'm looking at pairing it with a Sonos system (I also play a lot of Spotify).

I'm trying to figure (a) whether this is a good idea in the first place; and (b) what the most affordable/best configuration of Sonos hardware would be if I went through with this.

See above for suitable Sonos units to accept a Line-In connection. A Line-In source can be played on any Player(s) in the system, not just on the Player to which the connection is made.

Note that you will also need to purchase a phono pre-amplifier to sit between the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the Sonos. Sonos can't accept a cartridge signal directly. Some modern turntables integrate a phono pre-amp, but that one evidently doesn't.
Userlevel 1
I'm trying to figure (a) whether this is a good idea in the first place;

I can't see any reason why not.

and (b) what the most affordable/best configuration of Sonos hardware would be if I went through with this.

The cheapest Sonos device that has a line-in is the Connect, however to actually use that to listen to music (as opposed to just pumping its line-in to other players) it requires an additional amplifier and speakers, so it may not actually be the most affordable.
Badge +8
The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable does not have a built in phono preamp. You'll need to get one in order to use it with a Sonos system, something like this http://www.sumikoaudio.net/en-us/our-brands/pro-ject-turntables/products/phono-boxes/phono-box-mm
Userlevel 2
Thank you all, you've been incredibly helpful
Userlevel 2
I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive turntable and if I understood this thread correctly all I need is a Play:5 which I can plug the turntable directly in to. Plus a Bridge connected to my router in the other room. Am I right?

Also, could I just as well have a Bridge (connected to my router), a Connect (connected to the turntable) and then add as many speakers as I want anywhere in the house?
I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive turntable and if I understood this thread correctly all I need is a Play:5 which I can plug the turntable directly in to. Plus a Bridge connected to my router in the other room. Am I right?
Yes, that would work. That turntable has a built-in phono preamplifier.

Also, could I just as well have a Bridge (connected to my router), a Connect (connected to the turntable) and then add as many speakers as I want anywhere in the house?

Absolutely.
Userlevel 2
Brilliant! Thanks, ratty.
Userlevel 2
What cables do I need to plug a turntable (pro-ject debut carbon) into a phono preamp (Rolls VP29) into the Sonos Play 5?

Do cables come with these bigger pieces of hardware?
What cables do I need...

The Play:5 is packaged with a suitable cable to connect from the VP29 preamp. The turntable is also packaged with an interconnect cable to the preamp. So, the answer is "none" 🙂
Userlevel 2
Hi all :)

I tried to hook things up myself.

Turnable--->Nad PP2 RIIA---->Sonos Connect-->Digital Coax to NAD M51

It worked fine, I just wonder what I should set the Sonos sensitivity to? I have it set to high for now.

What I can't figure out, is the quality on the AD conversion, compared to AD converters like RME ADI-2 (Sorry, can't post a link here yet)

I does not find any specific specs on the Sonos connect.
I just wonder what I should set the Sonos sensitivity to? I have it set to high for now.
First post. Welcome to the forums.

You might find this FAQ of use: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/391
Userlevel 1
I tried this out for the first time last week, just briefly, wanted to see how it went, I've got a TT connected to my AV amp in the living room, tape out from AV amp to Connect line-in which I sent to my Play:1 at the other end of the house. Sounded surprisingly good, I didn't even fiddle with the sensitivity stuff.

Only thing that bothered me was how to get back to the same place in the queue once I'd finished. The Queue is still there, showing as "not in use" (fair enough) but I couldn't see any way of picking up from where it was at previously, seems you'd have to remember that yourself and find your way back to the same track and start playing from there, is that correct?
Userlevel 2
ratty: Thank you. Did not help me much as I can't find the output voltage of the PP1

the_lhc: Same here, it does not seems to remember where you was, and I find that logical enough.
Only thing that bothered me was how to get back to the same place in the queue once I'd finished. The Queue is still there, showing as "not in use" (fair enough) but I couldn't see any way of picking up from where it was at previously, seems you'd have to remember that yourself and find your way back to the same track and start playing from there, is that correct?
The queue pointer is lost under these circumstances, as with radio etc. Many have complained about this.

One slightly laborious workaround is to copy the queue/pointer to another zone by grouping (add new zone, remove current) beforehand. You can then copy it back again afterwards.
ratty: Thank you. Did not help me much as I can't find the output voltage of the PP1
I'd suggest you simply increase the sensitivity ("Level") on the Line-In until you can hear clipping, then back it off.
Userlevel 1
The queue pointer is lost under these circumstances, as with radio etc. Many have complained about this.

One slightly laborious workaround is to copy the queue/pointer to another zone by grouping (add new zone, remove current) beforehand. You can then copy it back again afterwards.

That's fair enough, I just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything obvious. I wouldn't use the feature often enough to particularly worry about it really.
Userlevel 2
I guess I should just to that, even clipping can be hard to hear on an LP record.
I think I need to clean my records first.

I also should like to see if it is possible to find some specs on the AD conversion, compared to more expensive equipment
Userlevel 2
I have a complete music system, with seperate cd-player, turntable and tape deck connected to my regular amp (Sony).

I have just purchased a Sonos:Connect, to be able to play my digital music on my NAS more easily.

But I was wondering how I can connect my normal amp to the Connect via Line-In.

I have a Technics turntable, and would like to have my vinyl played in other rooms too (via my Sonos system). My turntable does not have preamp, but my amp has a Phono input, so there's preamplification in there.

But how on earth do I get the signal from my amp to the line-in of Connect?

But how on earth do I get the signal from my amp to the line-in of Connect?

Most receivers have a tape recorder loop. Use the tape out jacks, and set the "monitor" switch to the source you're playing, if multi-position, or simply to "source" if it's a button.
Userlevel 2
Please forgive the total noob question here, but I'm on the cusp of placing an order of Sonos goodies and would like to avoid splashing out $150 unnecessarily...

My setup is as such:

- Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, located in Room 1
- phono pre-amp for the turnable, also in Room 1

I would like to buy a PLAY:5 for Room 2 and plug in the turntable and pre-amp into the back of either a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP in Room 1, having it stream in Room 2.

I have no existing amp or (wired) speakers. If I understand correctly, I could skip the CONNECT thing completely by plugging into the Line on the PLAY:5. However, as it will be in the room next door, I would like to know:

Do I buy a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP? Will a CONNECT be enough to plug my turntable into, sending the signal to the PLAY:5 (and eventually more Sonos speakers in other rooms down the line), or do I need the :AMP part?

I hope I'm semi-clear, and many thanks in advance for your expert help!
Welcome to the forum.

There is no requirement for an amp. If you insist, the Connect can be used as an expensive Line-In jack for your Sonos system. It will definitely deliver audio to the Play:5 in room 2 (and, eventually, beyond). Obviously, without an amp and speakers, room 1 will be without music.

You know your needs better than anyone. If you'll never have a need for music in room 1, the Connect is the least expensive of the three current models equipped with Line-In, but a second Play:5 is only $50 more, and gives you the flexibility of having two for use as a stereo pair when not using the turntable.
Userlevel 2
Thanks a bunch for that... I hadn't even thought of a pair of PLAY:5s, one in each room, which would also suit my needs and result in two rooms of music instead of one.

Excellent.
Userlevel 2
Hello, I have read through all these thread posts regarding setting up a turntable and have a few questions of my own if someone could help before I make some purchases. My setup would be a PC with music in one room and a Play 5 in another room hooked up to a turntable.

1) I think i would just need a turntable hooked up to a pre-amp that is hooked up to an amp. The amp would plug directly into a Play 5 then. This is correct right?

2) If I were to add another Play 1 or Play 3 in another room, the sound from my turntable would not go through those speakers correct? I would need a Sonos Connect hooked up to the turntable correct?

3) I dont think i need a Sonos Amp in this situation unless i want to hook up other non-Sonos speakers correct?

4) The music in on my PC (MP3's mostly) would be able to play to the Play 5 in the other room correct? I wouldn't need a bridge hooked up to the PC would I?
ONESPRIGGAN,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

A SONOS Line-In (not available on PLAY:1 or PLAY:3) will play in any combination of rooms, wired or wireless.

You will need a turntable with a built-in preamp or an external preamp between the turntable and Line-In. If you have a conventional receiver or amplifier with a Phono input and a REC OUT (for recording on a cassette deck) you can plug REC OUT into a Line-In. Speaker outputs on a conventional receiver or amplifier cannot be connected to a Line-In.

Correct, CONNECT:AMP is designed to work with conventional, generic speakers.

The SONOS control program installed on a computer cannot play anything. The controller sends commands to the players and the players are independent agents that fetch their own streams and files. As the controller is installed, it will help you setup permissions and linkages that are required before the players can fetch files from the computer. Once the players have been given instructions, the controller can be shut down. Note that, if you want to play files stored on the computer, the computer must be running and connected to the network. Players do not store any music.

BRIDGE or BOOST are optional. While I recommend wiring at least one SONOS unit to your network, you could use the WiFi option for a completely wireless system. WiFi wireless will work OK for a few SONOS units, it cannot support large SONOS systems or a PLAYBAR with SUB and surrounds. SonosNet supports large systems. At least one SONOS unit must be wired to the network for SonosNet. This is where BOOST and BRIDGE are handy. All of the SONOS units act as a bridge. If you don't have a convenient connection near a player, use BOOST or BRIDGE to make the connection. BOOST's wireless is more potent than BRIDGE. BOOST and BRIDGE are very similar to a player with the audio section removed in order to keep costs down.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the quick response! A follow up to your response:

I know my turntable will need a pre-amp but does it need an amp to plug directly into a PLAY 5 or can i go straight from the pre-amp cable?

If I need an amp, does it need to have a REC out or can it have headphone out or LINE out to plug directly into a PLAY 5?

Does anyone recommend any amps that have a REC out that work well with Sonos? The only one that i saw on amazon was a Pyle Home PTA4.