Setting up a turntable with Sonos

Userlevel 1
I am looking to get a turntable and want to connect it with my Sonos system. I have a Play:3 and a Bridge. I know you can not connect directly into a Play:3 but will it work with Connect or a Connect:Amp?

Thank you for your time.

115 replies

To connect a turntable, you need a player with analog inputs. The Play:5, the Connect, and the Connect:Amp all have analog inputs.
Make sure that the turntable offers a built-in preamplifier. SONOS units accept line level input not low level phono input.
Userlevel 1
jgatie wrote:

To connect a turntable, you need a player with analog inputs. The Play:5, the Connect, and the Connect:Amp all have analog inputs

Thanks for the reply jgatie :) If I use either the Connect or Connect:Amp will the music go through the Play:3 speakers or will I have to use separate speakers?

buzz wrote:

Make sure that the turntable offers a built-in preamplifier. SONOS units accept line level input not low level phono input.

Thanks buzz, didn't think of that :)
jsandow wrote:

If I use either the Connect or Connect:Amp will the music go through the Play:3 speakers or will I have to use separate speakers?

The analog Line-In will appear on the Controllers as another music source, available to each and every player in your Sonos system. You can select it yourself, choosing where to have it play, or set it up to automatically play in a specified zone -- which could be your Play:3 -- at a preset volume when audio is detected.
Userlevel 1
NoBoB wrote:

The analog Line-In will appear on the Controllers as another music source, available to each and every player in your Sonos system. You can select it yourself, choosing where to have it play, or set it up to automatically play in a specified zone -- which could be your Play:3 -- at a preset volume when audio is detected.

Awesome. Thanks NoBoB for the help.
Userlevel 1
Probably a dumb question, but how do I know if my record player is pre-amplified? I've only ever connected the audio cables into a receiver and then out to hard-wired speakers.

It's a pretty stock Sony record player, bought at Best Buy maybe 10 years ago.
If the turntable connects to an input on the receiver marked 'phono' then it almost certainly lacks its own preamp, as the receiver would be providing the pre-amplification/equalisation.

If the turntable connects to any other input (CD, tape, aux, etc) then it has its own integrated preamp.
Userlevel 1
Yea, it only has the red/white L/R outputs. In fact, I think I need to make a whole post for some help!
Either type of unit will have the red/white RCA cable, so that's not an indicator. The unit's documentation may shed some light.

Or, you can hook it to any non-phono input (on a receiver or your Sonos). If it's not pre-amplified, it will have very very low output, and will sound terrible (the preamp boosts bass and lowers treble as well as amplifying level).

DO NOT connect it to a phono/turntable jack if you don't know what kind of unit it is.

If it is unamplified, a separate phono preamp can be acquired. They range in price from "cheap" to "holy cow I don't want to play records that bad". :)
Userlevel 1
I was looking at the Play5 online and it didn't look like it has analog inputs as someone said in this thread. Am I crazy?
The Play:5 has a Line-In socket. The Play:3 does not.
Badge
you are going to need a separate phono stage amplifier. None of the Sonos devices can take a turntable plugged in directly.
Valid point, I was overlooking the thread title.

Many turntables available these days evidently come with a phono preamp built in, so they can connect to any standard line level input.
Userlevel 1
Hi there!

I am terrible at sound technology so I really hope I don't come off as being too dumb… but here's my situation related to turntables and the Sonos system.

I have a rather basic turntable (the following: Lenco L3866, please google it for more technical info because I can't include URLS in my messages yet… :( )which (supposedly) has a pre-amp. The only wires on it are the white and red cables, that's it. Today I went and bought a Sonos Play5 and Connect. The guy at the store told me I could connect my turntable to the Connect and it would play on my Sonos system, but alas, no such luck. Plugging the white and red cables into the Connect doesn't do a thing.

Now, I've really just finished the first overall set-up but I can't seem to figure out how to get my turntable to work. So… what am I missing here? Did the guy at the shop make a mistake? I don't really want to return this system but getting my turntable to work with an otherwise wireless system was the main reason I got this thing in the first place…

Any help/pointers would be seriously GREATLY appreciated. :(

Thank you!
Welcome to the forums.

The Lenco L-3866 has an integral phono preamp so should connect to Sonos without problem. Make sure that it's plugged into the Line-In jacks on the CONNECT, not the Line-Out. A Line-In source for the CONNECT should appear in the Music menu. Point your Sonos controller at the Play:5 zone and select the CONNECT's Line-In for play.

Once it's working, there are a few tweaks you can do. If the volume level doesn't seem quite right you can go to the Room Settings for your CONNECT and change the Line-In source level adjustment. If you wish you can also configure things such that whenever the turntable Line-In plays Sonos automatically switches the Play:5 to that source, and stops play when the turntable input is silent.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the welcome :)

I had indeed connected my turntable to the Line-Out rather than the Line-In jacks. Damn. I'm very happy to say that, as soon as I selected the Line-In source in Sonos, my turntable's sound came through beautifully!

I had no idea about those Line-In settings I could tweak, those sound really useful, I will check them out immediately.

Thank you so much for your response and the help! I appreciate it a lot. Looks like this was a great purchase.
Deemerman wrote:

Looks like this was a great purchase.

If you're anything like a number of us here, you'll find that other rooms soon start demanding a Sonos player of their own. We tend to say that they breed like rabbits.

If you have any further problems come back here and we'll try to assist.
Userlevel 1
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just want to clarify a point.

If I have a pre-amped turntable can I connect it directly to a Play 5 (as I think is suggested above), or do I need a Connect (as I had assumed) ?

If I have a non pre-amped turntable will it work through anything ? I assume that if anything I would need a Connect Amp, but am not sure that even that would work ?
Playbar31 wrote:

If I have a pre-amped turntable can I connect it directly to a Play 5 (as I think is suggested above), or do I need a Connect (as I had assumed) ?

You can connect the turntable pre-amp output to the Line-In on any Sonos Player. They're all equivalent.

If I have a non pre-amped turntable will it work through anything ? I assume that if anything I would need a Connect Amp, but am not sure that even that would work ?

No. You will need a phono preamp to connect to anything which accepts line-level signals (like Sonos). As well as boosting the low signal from the cartridge the phono preamp is also needed to apply RIAA equalisation.
Older turntables with ceramic cartridges will work directly, but they are not of quality. Most quality turntables will not include a phono preamp, but good preamps are readily available from companies like phonopreamps.com and via amazon.com.

Note that there are two types of cartridges in general use, Moving Magnet (MM) and its variants, and Moving Coil (MC). The MC type usually has much lower output, requiring a preamp with much more gain, unless it's an HOMC (high output) type.

I'm running a vintage Sony PS-X65 turntable with a new MM Shure M97xE , quite a nice combo for less money than even an entry-level modern audiophile turntable. Check your local craigslist if interested in this route.

I really like the way that my connect:amp can be configured to auto-detect a signal coming from the preamp, and switch to it. As simple to use as an old stereo console! :-)
chicks wrote:

Older turntables with ceramic cartridges will work directly, but they are not of quality.

There may be a better signal level match, but without a preamp there'd be no appropriate equalisation.
ratty wrote:

There may be a better signal level match, but without a preamp there'd be no appropriate equalisation.

They didn't require RIAA EQ, since they are constant-amplitude vs constant-velocity devices. At any rate, they sounded horrid, sorry I brought them up. Not recommended.
chicks wrote:

They didn't require RIAA EQ, since they are constant-amplitude vs constant-velocity devices. At any rate, they sounded horrid, sorry I brought them up. Not recommended.

Right. Indeed http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Cartridge_(Vinyl)#Crystal_and_Ceramic_Cartridges confirms the latter point too.

requiring little to no additional RIAA equalization ... they tend to have much higher levels of distortion and noise compared to magnetic cartridges ... their purported compatibility with line level stages generally comes at the expense of any sort of close accuracy of the RIAA reproducing curve at high frequencies

Moving swiftly on...
I'm not sure how many of these ceramic beasts will be viable since they are usually attacked by the atmosphere over time.
Userlevel 1
I'm having trouble reconciling the following two posts on this thread: Post 12, which says:

ratty wrote:

The Play:5 has a Line-In socket. The Play:3 does not.

And Post 20, which says:

ratty wrote:

You can connect the turntable pre-amp output to the Line-In on any Sonos Player. They're all equivalent.

Basically, I'm starting from scratch with respect to my music system, and I'm looking at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, and I'm looking at pairing it with a Sonos system (I also play a lot of Spotify).

I'm trying to figure (a) whether this is a good idea in the first place; and (b) what the most affordable/best configuration of Sonos hardware would be if I went through with this.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings