Answered

Set up question

Can I set up a playbar and 2 play 3s inside my living room and 2 play 1s outside (protected) and be able to have full control (volume, balance, etc.) over each speaker?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 24 May 2018, 15:02

Two things to consider. The playbar is designed to play tv audio with no latency, so that the audio in video are properly in sync. An speakers that are bonded with the playbar (surrounds) will also be in sync. Speakers that are setup as a separate zone will not play in sync. In other words if you place your play:3s as a separate zone (not surrounds) in the same room as the playbar, I wouldn't using them while the tv is on as they will create an echo effect. When you use the playbar and play:3s from a non-tv source ( a music service for example) then they will play in sync. In other words, if you will only play tv audio on the playbar, and want all the living room speakers for music with greater control over volume, then 2 separate zone setup is the way to go.

As for the 2 play:1s outside, it sounds like you understand that they aren't designed to be outside. But also consider that the play:1s need to be in wifi range to operate. I would definitely make sure there is a good wifi signal where you plan on placing them, maybe upgrade your wifi if needed.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hard to answer correctly, as I have to make some assumptions, as your question isn't as clear as it might be.

Yes is the real answer, but I'm not sure in the ways you want to set them up.

Do you intend to use the PLAY:3s as surround speakers? You don't have complete control over balance on Surrounds. You can define their distance from the listening area, or even TruePlay them using an iOS device, but there's no direct balance, although there is a volume.

If you set up the PLAY:1s as a stereo pair, you would have balance controls on that. .

If you wanted to set up each speaker as a individual room in your Sonos, then you could indeed control each one separately for volume.
Thank you! My "living room" includes 3 different possible sitting areas so I was hoping to able to maximize my control between the playbar and the two PLAY:3s (of course with the ultimate goal of having the best sound throughout the area.) Would it be better to use the PLAY:3s as surround speakers or set up each speaker as a individual room?
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Just for music, set them up as a separate room and then group them together to get them all playing in perfect sync. You can swap them to surround speakers and back but I understand the procedure is a bit of a faff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Two things to consider. The playbar is designed to play tv audio with no latency, so that the audio in video are properly in sync. An speakers that are bonded with the playbar (surrounds) will also be in sync. Speakers that are setup as a separate zone will not play in sync. In other words if you place your play:3s as a separate zone (not surrounds) in the same room as the playbar, I wouldn't using them while the tv is on as they will create an echo effect. When you use the playbar and play:3s from a non-tv source ( a music service for example) then they will play in sync. In other words, if you will only play tv audio on the playbar, and want all the living room speakers for music with greater control over volume, then 2 separate zone setup is the way to go.

As for the 2 play:1s outside, it sounds like you understand that they aren't designed to be outside. But also consider that the play:1s need to be in wifi range to operate. I would definitely make sure there is a good wifi signal where you plan on placing them, maybe upgrade your wifi if needed.
So helpful... Thank you!
Can anyone outline the process for changing speakers (one playbar and two play:3s) from 2 separate zone setup grouped together to surround speakers and back?
Adding surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927#add_surrounds

Removing surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927#remove_surrounds