Answered

Set up Bridge on S1

I’m having trouble setting up a Bridge and/or BR100 on S1.  This is on Android.  I have a separate system set up with S2, and I’ve reset the S1 app & bridge and followed all the instructions, but S1 tells me it can’t locate the Bridge.  I have not set up this Bridge on any system before.  Help?

icon

Best answer by Mr. Bateman 18 June 2020, 15:27

I finally got this working, apparently by switching the SonosNet channel.  When I did that, the system recognized both devices during setup!  (I actually coincidentally chose the same SonosNet channel as the S2, though I’m not sure that had anything to do with it)  

(I’m not sure about the device with build 58.1-77280--I thought that was a bridge but perhaps I inadvertently got info for the wrong Sonos device)

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Presumably you’ve wired the Bridge to the network.

If the Bridge is unused it will be loaded with firmware from many years ago, and may be so out of date that it can’t communicate properly. If you have the original package it should display the firmware version, possibly “V3.8” or “V4.0”. 

Thanks.  I’ve tried wiring it directly to the network as well as trying to set it up wirelessly, and neither worked.  I don’t have the original package.  Is there another solution?

I should have mentioned the bridge was set up on a system in the past (I don’t know how long ago), just not mine.  I reset the bridge following the instructions for doing so, though, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

It’s not been possible to add a Bridge wirelessly in a long time. 

You presumably have one or more legacy/S1 players. Wire one of these and set up the S1 system with it and the controller if you haven’t already done so.

Wire the Bridge as well, power it up in factory reset mode (holding down the Join button until the LED flashes amber), then when it flashes green try and add it again.

If that doesn’t work, see if you can establish the IP address (x.x.x.x) of the Bridge, either by looking in your router or using a scanning app such as Fing. You can then visit http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/VERSION and see what build number is listed. It should enable us to figure out the firmware version.

Thanks again.  I tried your instructions, first setting up an amp with wired connection, but still couldn’t get the bridge to work (I tried a zonebridge and br100--neither worked).  Here are the build numbers for each of these:  58.1-77280, and 32.11-30071.

Let me know your thoughts!  

Build 32.11-30071 on the Bridge is version 6.3. It’s about 4 years out of date, but it should work.

However 58.1-77280 is S2 (version 12.0), which is why the operation is failing. You would need an S1 player.

Presumably you have at least one legacy unit, stuck at S1, otherwise you wouldn’t be trying to use the Bridge. Wire that instead and have another go.

Yes, the connect:amp I set up first is on S1.  I was able to set that up fine using wired connection, but then when I try to set up either of the bridge units I mentioned on S1, the system doesn't find them...

Hold on. The device with build 58.1-77280 cannot be a Bridge. That’s an S2 unit. If you have two Bridges what build number does the other one have?

I suggest you try powering off the S2 system* and try again with the S1 Connect:Amp wired as well as either Bridge. Daisy-chain the Bridge off the Connect:Amp.

*If the S2 system has a wired component all you need do is power that one off temporarily, as that will disconnect the system.

I finally got this working, apparently by switching the SonosNet channel.  When I did that, the system recognized both devices during setup!  (I actually coincidentally chose the same SonosNet channel as the S2, though I’m not sure that had anything to do with it)  

(I’m not sure about the device with build 58.1-77280--I thought that was a bridge but perhaps I inadvertently got info for the wrong Sonos device)

Good to hear.

The Bridges shouldn’t have cared about the channel, since they were being added via Ethernet, but with rather outdated firmware on board various odd behaviours could have been possible.