S2 and Bridge upgrade

Hi all,

So I purchased a Roam for the summer months outside and just realised it is not compatible with my S1 set up, all but 1 of my 6 speakers are S2 compatible I believe so assume if I replace my Bridge with a Boost 5 will work on new S2 set up? 

Appreciate any feedback, if the Boost is not the right approach then the Roam goes back to Sonos as my S1 system has worked great for 10 plus years with no problem so am nervous about tampering. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Martin

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If all your speakers are S2 capable, then yes, upgrading the BRIDGE (S1 only) to a BOOST (either S1 or S2 capable) would work. 

Or you could just dump the BRIDGE altogether, and wire your internet/ ethernet cable to one of the speakers, and upgrade your devices without needing to buy a BOOST. Each speaker has the capability to act as a BOOST. 

I’ve not had any issues with S2 since it was released. And it runs my Roam quite well. 

Bruce, many thanks for the response, was not aware of the hard wire "fix" but worked a treat, upgraded the existing speakers to S2 then added the Roam and all works a treat! 

A happy Friday evening music so much appreciated. 

ATB

Martin

Happy to be of assistance. Yea, there’s a lot of folks who didn’t get the memo that the BRIDGE wasn’t really required anymore, I try to include that information where I can. But I personally still use a BOOST, but mostly because in my last home, the router wasn’t anywhere near a speaker. That has changed in my new home, but I still use the BOOST, probably because I’m a lazy person, and it’s easier to set up the new home that way. C’est la vie, as they say. 

But I’m delighted it’s working as designed for you. I’m of the opinion that a wired setup (SonosNet) is always better than sharing my wifi signal with Sonos. I’ve got enough things on wifi, keep that bandwidth elsewhere :)