Answered

s1/s2?

Badge +1

Hi, just wanting to check as I’m considering a Beam which needs S2 . All my components are on the S1 app at present.

I have only got a bridge that’s not compatible with S2 - The rest (connect,play5 2nd gen and play 1) are.

The bridge is used solely to get the play 5 working in a remote room.

I think I’m right in saying I could have the bridge on S1, and the rest on S2?

My concern is that the Sonos mesh between the bridge and any other components won’t be affected by being on different apps? i.e. the play5 will still work by being close to the Bridge (which is hard wired via cat cabling to the router)

Or should I change to a boost??

Thanks

John      

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 October 2021, 16:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

My system needs to be wired as due to thick walls the bedroom (play1) hasn’t good wi-fi -and I’m taking it you can’t mix and match components wired or wireless??

I’m not quite sure what you mean. In “wired” (SonosNet) mode you wire one or more devices to the network. The remainder would be wireless. They’d communicate with the wired devices using Sonos’ dedicated wireless mesh, SonosNet.

Is the bedroom Play:1 wired? If it’s wireless then it would have been talking to the Bridge via SonosNet. In that case substituting a Boost would work just as well, if not better (Boost has better wireless).

it shows all 4 components as WM0 which apparently means wired, ie via the network??

WM:0 means wired or wireless on SonosNet.

If I was to take the bridge out of the equation would the play 5 then become wireless and connect to the wifi extender.

It would attempt to communicate with the wired Connect at the router or the P:1 in the bedroom. Only if it completely failed might it then try and connect to WiFi. The system would then be in ‘Mixed Mode’. 

Would I need to change any setting on the play 5 to make it WM1?

You could try configuring the WiFi details of the dining room access point into Sonos. As I say, the Play:5 will probably try its level best to stay in SonosNet mode, but it just might revert to the local WiFi point instead. Try it. 

There is a way to force the Play:5 to use the WiFi, which you might resort to if it doesn’t connect on its own. You’d go into the room settings for the Connect and the Play:1 and disable the “WiFi” on each. (This actually disables SonosNet.) Bereft of any SonosNet signal the P:5 should lock onto the WiFi.

Badge +1

Ok thanks I get that, but I’m now actually thinking of biting the bullet and just trading the bridge in for the boost and future-proofing everything to S2.

The hard wiring gives me a rock-solid connection for the play5 which is on all the time, plus gives me an Ethernet out to play with..

I just hope Sonos have nothing else up their sleeve which will make any elements on S2 redundant! :rage:

Thanks for the input.

John  

I’m not sure which “Ethernet out to play with” you’re referring to.

The Boost has a secondary (100Mbps) port, like the Bridge, so you can daisy-chain through it.

If you need to hang a third party device out of the wireless Play:5’s Ethernet port then you must keep the speaker in SonosNet mode, so you’d want to get a Boost as proposed. In WiFi (WM:1) mode the Ethernet ports are disabled.

You’re perhaps aware of this, but don’t rely on the P:5’s Ethernet port for any heavy traffic. Bandwidth on SonosNet is limited, and music traffic could get squeezed.

Badge +1

Sorry, I meant the secondary Ethernet port on the Bridge being used to daisy-chain, which could be replicated on the Boost.

I won’t be connecting anything to the Play5.

Thanks again

Userlevel 7

The Bridge will not work with the S2 app. Either get a Boost or wire one of your Sonos speakers directly to the router with an ethernet cable.

Badge +1

Sorry, I haven’t explained correctly.

My intention is to have the bridge on S1, but everything else on S2 - so I’m just checking that the connectivity (ie the Sonosnet) to the bridge will be unaffected by being on different apps..

Thanks

John 

My intention is to have the bridge on S1, but everything else on S2

Not possible. A system is either all S1 or all S2. A Bridge running S1 can’t be part of an S2 system. If it’s not part of the system it can’t function as a bridge. 

Either replace it with a Boost, or you may find your system works okay without any wired component at all, i.e. connecting to your router’s own WiFi in “wireless” mode.

Badge +1

Ok thanks, S1/S2 creates 2 separate systems.

My system needs to be wired as due to thick walls the bedroom (play1) hasn’t good wi-fi -and I’m taking it you can’t mix and match components wired or wireless??

So looks like £70 for a boost if I want the Beam.:cry:

Thanks again

John 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check around for used prices for Boosts, a lot of folks have bought them when they were not needed and are now trying to get something back on them. I made that error but am keeping it around (but not plugged in) for no good reason.

Personally (if needed) I’d buy a Play 1 used rather than a Boost and wire it to my router. Works almost as well as the Boost and you get a speaker. A One SL or a One would work too, just a few more bucks.

Badge +1

I’m not quite sure what you mean. In “wired” (SonosNet) mode you wire one or more devices to the network. The remainder would be wireless. They’d communicate with the wired devices using Sonos’ dedicated wireless mesh, SonosNet.

Is the bedroom Play:1 wired? If it’s wireless then it would have been talking to the Bridge via SonosNet. In that case substituting a Boost would work just as well, if not better (Boost has better wireless).

‘’’’'’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’

Complicated..Due to thick walls that make wi-fi patchy, plus the Sonos components don’t really see each other to create a Sonosnet.

I have a Sonos connect plugged into the router as it’s beside it, then another router port connected via cat5 cabling to the bedroom. I have the last port on the router extended via cat5 to a wi-fi extender in the dining room at the back of the house, with the bridge physically connected to this - the play5 is in the same room as the bridge but not adjacent, I tthink the play5 is connected to the bridge via Sonosnet, on checking ‘about my system’ on the app - it shows all 4 components as WM0 which apparently means wired, ie via the network??

If I was to take the bridge out of the equation would the play 5 then become wireless and connect to the wifi extender. Would I need to change any setting on the play 5 to make it WM1?

Thanks for the replies;

John